E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I took our Bronco Raptor home checked that the wheel lugs were torqued correctly the day after purchase. Naturally, they weren’t all correct, so I remedied this. I’m not leaving my family’s safety up to chance. I also check lug torque every time my tires are rotated. Safety first!
Sponsored

cracKen

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All my wheels were torqued correctly and didn’t move. But the spare tire started moving after just 20-23 ft lbs. Not sure if that’s too low or if that’s enough.

BDBroncoMT

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Crosstrek MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No recall on my VIN, but every lug nut on my driver side could be tightened almost a full turn without cranking too hard on it. Passenger side all took about a half turn. Definitely recommend checking all even if your VIN isn’t recalled. Made me think of those 3 or 4 emails they sent me last January “To ensure your complete satisfaction, we will require additional time to deliver your Bronco.” Apparently they didn’t notice the MT scrape in that additional time, either. Or the missing panel that’s supposed to cover the bolts on the passenger side roof panel latch above the visor.

Sponsored

somerandomguy

Wildtrak
First Name
Harguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
2023 Wildtrak, 1550 miles... Purchased with 12 miles new on her.

Used Husky torque wrench with 100LB.FT setting (Wrench does 50-250LBS).

Most of them were in the mid 80ft.lbs, but I had some on the passenger side (rear and front) start moving at 70-75LB.FT.

According to the link below, should be 100lb.ft.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...A&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

Glad they are now torqued according to spec, but that is pretty scary knowing some where at the low 70s after a 1,000 mile drive.

SCSCOTT

Wildtrak
First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, EXPLORER
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The defect: in affected vehicles, the lug nuts on the driver’s side wheels may have been improperly tightened.

The hazards: loose lug nuts may result in wheel detachment while driving, increasing the risk of a crash.

Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this issue.

Components: lug nuts

Affected vehicles: select 2023 Ford Bronco SUVs produced at the Michigan Assembly plant from February 9th, 2023, to February 13th, 2023.

Number of vehicles affected: 992

The fix: dealers will inspect, and if necessary, retighten the lug nuts, free of charge. Owners are advised not to drive their vehicles until the remedy is completed.

Owners should: wait for communications from Ford, which will begin on May 1st, 2023. The Ford reference number for this recall is 23S17.

Contacts:
  • Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
  • FoMoCo Recall Number: 23S17
  • NHTSA Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236
  • NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
  • NHTSA Website: www.nhtsa.gov

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...3-ford-bronco-ranger-improper-lug-nut-recall/

2023MY Bronco® SUVs and Ranger® pickups for Improper Lug Nut Torque on Driver’s-Side Wheels
6312c7a8-64d9-4d82-bf06-e586d46033b1.jpg

Recall Reference Number: 23S17

The safety of you and your passengers is key to every vehicle we build. That is why we’ve issued a recall for some 2023 Bronco and Ranger vehicles.

Vehicles affected in this recall may have lug nuts on the driver’s side road wheels that are insufficiently tightened, resulting in a potential wheel detachment from the vehicle.

You can see if your vehicle is included by entering your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) here. If your vehicle is affected, do not drive your vehicle in its present condition. In the interim, should you have the desire and capability to do so, you can tighten all of the wheel lug nuts on the driver’s side of the vehicle to the technical specifications called out in your Owner’s Manual (Wheel Lug Nut Torque Specifications).

Even with the interim action, you will still need your local dealer to complete the repair. Your dealer will tow your vehicle to the dealership, or participating Ford dealers may provide Mobile Service or Ford Pickup & Delivery options.

You can book an appointment online with participating dealers, in your FordPass® App or contact your local Ford Dealer.
Funny, I saw the post of the guy that lost a wheel and as soon as I received my Wildtrak April 19 I checked my wheels and one side was not tight.

Indarkness

Wildtrak
First Name
First second
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On the phone with Ford now. I appreciate the call and the effort. Not sure I trust the dealer that did the pre sale check list to do this inspection. Seems like some of the dealers are just learning about it. They don’t want to let my wife drive home, but have said they can’t stop us from driving.

I checked the lug nuts myself after seeing the thread of the wheel falling of the WT. delivery dates were 3 days apart. I think every lug nut was loose between 1/4-3/4 turns to get to the 100 ft/lbs.

Keep safe everyone.

Update: I asked about the process, the process is to put the vehicle on the lift, pull all tires, inspect for damage, replace any damaged components or reinstall and then torque to spec. Sorry if this was posted here. I’m at work and haven’t kept up with the thread.

Last edited:

Buc N Bronco

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Broncos Sport,2000 Jeep TJ,Mustang pro stteet
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seen the thread,
Figured I would check mine
Left side was 80 ft lbs
Right was 100ft lbs
Mine was built 11/14/22
Guess the left side had issues earlier than mentioned

Sponsored

WildTrak23

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 FX4 Crew Cab Flame Blue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Doing it myself as soon as I get home. Even though my VIN was not in the group. It was still built in that time period. Just 1,250 miles on it at the moment. I'll report back on what they are when know more.
Ok. So I couldn’t my 19mm. Lug socket. Until today. I went around ALL 4 wheels and they were between 77#~88#’s on both sides. I have currently 1,380 miles on it. Retorqued ALL Lug nuts to 100#. Lbs. I also checked the spare. They were loose at 35#-45#. Which should be around 60#. It’s worth it to check them all. For sure.

climbjose

Badlands
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2d manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My lug nuts fell off on the passenger rear. I had to take one lug off the passenger front and it was much looser than i expected. All my wheel studs sheered off. This doesn’t just happen and the dealer (Summit Ford in Silverthorne, CO) says this is not covered under warranty but all these posts here show the recall needs to be broader. It’sa bigger problem than they’re saying.

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Imagine having to make an appointment and then probably wait at least and 1.5hr for them to check and maybe tighten you wheel :censored:
I'd venture to say closer to 5 hours minimum. That said, everyone who owns a vehicle should at least have one, good torque wrench. Not that expensive, and even if you use it once, it'll pay for itself in the long run.

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One thing to be aware of folks, even if the lug nuts were torqued correctly, aluminum wheels require re-torqueing at a later time. This is clearly specified anytime your tire is changed or a wheel is removed.
On new wheels, the re-torque should involve loosening the lug before torquing. Subsequent checks can be just the torque check.
Sponsored