Sponsored

2023 Wildtrak won't start, Dealership has no idea what's wrong. They are blaming my Kicker Key 200.4

Sigmanutz

Wildtrak
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
FINAL UPDATE:
The dealership has it running again and everything appears to be working normally. One of the plugs that fits into the Perimeter Plus box became unseated, and threw the electricity of the car into fault, just as it was designed to do. This small mistake set me back $1245, so definitely learn from my trouble.
===============================================================

Oh boy, where to start? I guess first off, the only real modifications I've made to the vehicle include the Perimeter Plus Security System that did not come on the Bronco, but was ordered and installed successfully by me AND the Kicker Key 200.4 amplifier that the vast majority of the (audio)community has installed under their steering wheel. I used the PlugnPlay wiring harness from Hoel Wiring which I purchased for ~$250. I purchased the vehicle approximately 3 weeks ago. I also purchased Ford's highest warranty service contract.

What happened:
I went for a cruise at approximately 9:30pm last Thursday evening (8/17/23). Prior to reaching the end of my road, I noticed that my A/C headunit lights were dark - they were not illuminated like normal. I immediately turned around, parked in the garage, and turned off the car. I gave it a minute and tried to restart it. The car fails to start. There appears to be some sort of battery drain, but after a charge/jump, the interior and headlights will come on, even the console screens will turn on. However it fails to crank. I don't even hear it trying to start. I have read several posts where a faulty starter is the culprit, but it's really tough to say if my problem is the same as everyone else's.

Where we're currently at:
The Bronco is currently at the only local dealership in my town. They have not explicitly said that the amplifier is the cause of the problem. HOWEVER. They have countlessly reminded me, to ad nauseam, I might add, that I was not to modify the Bronco in any way. They have repeatedly told me over and over how doing so will permanently void my warranty. The technician met with the service manager and myself earlier this afternoon. He has troubleshooted almost everything he can think of, and is currently inspecting the "gateway.

Hopefully it doesn't come to:
Legal fights. The dealership made me sign an arbitration agreement prior to purchasing the vehicle, and now I'm being told that I may have waived my rights to a lemon law? Has anyone had any experience like this? It's largely expected by most people that if the dealership's technicians are unable to diagnose the problem, naturally they will blame it on anything considered aftermarket.

What is my recourse? Do I have any options? Did I just blow 70K? Does anyone have a lead on a possible fix I can relay to the technician? Any advice is much appreciated, as this community has been nothing but helpful from the beginning. Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Magnuson Warranty Act. Installing a amp does not void the warranty. Your dealer is full of it. I would get Ford on the phone and have them look into what your dealer is trying to pull.

I say this because I have been here. I had a GT350 that the dealer service tried to blame the 50 cent hole in the block on headers and a FORD cai FILTER. Long story short, I recieved a new engine.

Get Ford involved, and if it goes further, get your Lawyer involved.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
"They have countlessly reminded me, to ad nauseam, I might add, that I was not to modify the Bronco in any way." That sounds odd. My dealership never said anything about mods. I would absolutely not have purchased a Bronco if no mods were allowed. And I don't recall signing any arbitration documents.

If you fried some electronics due to a mistake with your install or the harness you bought, that would bite and you'd probably be on the hook. But something seems off with the dealer. Sounds like you are in a bind though, with an immobile Bronco and no other dealer in town. :(

Can you swap in a new battery as a test? The fact it drained and needed a charge to get the lights working, but still won't crank, could indicate a faulty battery (bad cell or something)? I'd expect the dealer tech to have honed in on that possibility already though.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

kicker keyway is an inline connection for outputs, take it out bet it dont start either lol. I would suspect the alarm system if it has cutoff capabilities though. Also with the BMS it has to be at the correct voltage to actually start.

OP
OP
Sigmanutz

Sigmanutz

Wildtrak
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"They have countlessly reminded me, to ad nauseam, I might add, that I was not to modify the Bronco in any way." That sounds odd. My dealership never said anything about mods. I would absolutely not have purchased a Bronco if no mods were allowed. And I don't recall signing any arbitration documents.

If you fried some electronics due to a mistake with your install or the harness you bought, that would bite and you'd probably be on the hook. But something seems off with the dealer. Sounds like you are in a bind though, with an immobile Bronco and no other dealer in town. :(

Can you swap in a new battery as a test? The fact it drained and needed a charge to get the lights working, but still won't crank, could indicate a faulty battery (bad cell or something)? I'd expect the dealer tech to have honed in on that possibility already though.
The dealer has tried a jumpbox and another battery. The current battery has a valid readout, so they are telling me "it's definitely not the battery". :rolleyes: At any rate, even with the new battery, they are still unable to get it to start.

I am trying to read up on the Gateway module being bad and Ford having released a new GWM software update just this past Wednesday. That reading has led me into reading how some Broncos are being bricked by OTA updates failing.

Every time I think I find a lead, I wind up in another rabbit hole.

Sponsored

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh boy, where to start? I guess first off, the only real modifications I've made to the vehicle include the Perimeter Plus Security System that did not come on the Bronco, but was ordered and installed successfully by me AND the Kicker Key 200.4 amplifier that the vast majority of the (audio)community has installed under their steering wheel. I used the PlugnPlay wiring harness from Hoel Wiring which I purchased for ~$250. I purchased the vehicle approximately 3 weeks ago. I also purchased Ford's highest warranty service contract.

What happened:
I went for a cruise at approximately 9:30pm last Thursday evening (8/17/23). Prior to reaching the end of my road, I noticed that my A/C headunit lights were dark - they were not illuminated like normal. I immediately turned around, parked in the garage, and turned off the car. I gave it a minute and tried to restart it. The car fails to start. There appears to be some sort of battery drain, but after a charge/jump, the interior and headlights will come on, even the console screens will turn on. However it fails to crank. I don't even hear it trying to start. I have read several posts where a faulty starter is the culprit, but it's really tough to say if my problem is the same as everyone else's.

Where we're currently at:
The Bronco is currently at the only local dealership in my town. They have not explicitly said that the amplifier is the cause of the problem. HOWEVER. They have countlessly reminded me, to ad nauseam, I might add, that I was not to modify the Bronco in any way. They have repeatedly told me over and over how doing so will permanently void my warranty. The technician met with the service manager and myself earlier this afternoon. He has troubleshooted almost everything he can think of, and is currently inspecting the "gateway.

Hopefully it doesn't come to:
Legal fights. The dealership made me sign an arbitration agreement prior to purchasing the vehicle, and now I'm being told that I may have waived my rights to a lemon law? Has anyone had any experience like this? It's largely expected by most people that if the dealership's technicians are unable to diagnose the problem, naturally they will blame it on anything considered aftermarket.

What is my recourse? Do I have any options? Did I just blow 70K? Does anyone have a lead on a possible fix I can relay to the technician? Any advice is much appreciated, as this community has been nothing but helpful from the beginning. Thank you.
Start by removing the add-on security system and wiring. Put it back to factory. If that fails to solve the problem, take out everything you added, then test. An aftermarket security system can default to system shut down to prevent theft and cannot be over ridden in most cases.

Good luck.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I were to choose something, I'd be more inclined to suspect the Perimeter Security system, as it specifically has the ability to immobilize the vehicle.

I would question their basis for suspecting the amp. At worst, one might suspect it could blow a fuse (surely, they've checked those?). Disconnecting the amp should be an easy troubleshooting task as well. What would it take to disconnect the Perimeter Security system to verify that?

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not a lawyer but I don’t think your local dealer can waive your warranty with Ford corporate.

take the battery to autozone and have them test it. If it’s toast my suspicion are the mods. Unhook them and check if the problem comes back.

You would still be responsible, but probably only out a few hundred bucks for a new battery and a couple hours of diag time (Ford won’t warranty the diagnosis if they are not at fault).

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The dealer has tried a jumpbox and another battery. The current battery has a valid readout, so they are telling me "it's definitely not the battery". :rolleyes: At any rate, even with the new battery, they are still unable to get it to start.

I am trying to read up on the Gateway module being bad and Ford having released a new GWM software update just this past Wednesday. That reading has led me into reading how some Broncos are being bricked by OTA updates failing.

Every time I think I find a lead, I wind up in another rabbit hole.
Did they even do a reprogram from the FDRS? That would make sure it didnt get bricked which they should know anyways.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sigmanutz

Sigmanutz

Wildtrak
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Did they even do a reprogram from the FDRS? That would make sure it didnt get bricked which they should know anyways.
I do not believe so. I believe I was told that they cant electronically diagnose it, as an error is happening with communication at the OBD port (and Im assuming this is where FDRS is plugged in)

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I do not believe so. I believe I was told that they cant electronically diagnose it, as an error is happening with communication at the OBD port (and Im assuming this is where FDRS is plugged into)
yikes yeah thats a bit of an issue and I dont think any of your add ons is what caused that.

EinHoden

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would disconnect the Perimeter Plus system first. As others have said, that has the functionality to disable start functions. Ford's website also doesn't list the Bronco as a compatible vehicle for that system, so it could be causing any # of communication issues between modules.

Ford Bronco 2023 Wildtrak won't start, Dealership has no idea what's wrong. They are blaming my Kicker Key 200.4 1692739266924

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This makes me second guess installing the perimeter plus security system.
:oops:

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This doesn't seem complicated. You added a device that can disable the vehicle and the vehicle is disabled. Doesn't seem like a Ford problem.
Sponsored