Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I can no longer say my 2021 Badlands has never had a problem.

On the way home from work my driver's side rear shock decided it didn't want to be a shock anymore and all the fluid came out. I was luckily only about a km from home and was able to limp it home.

Unfortunately the soonest a dealer can get it in to look at it is the 21st of May, the other dealer in town isn't booking until June 3rd(!)

Guess I'm riding the Ducati to work unless it's nice and then I'll take my Mustang (it's never seen rain, lol)

Ford Bronco '21 Badlands rear shock failure 1715198367006-25
Ford Bronco '21 Badlands rear shock failure 1715198390449-kh

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shocks aren't covered by warranty (I thought)? Couldn't you just replace them?

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well I can no longer say my 2021 Badlands has never had a problem.

On the way home from work my driver's side rear shock decided it didn't want to be a shock anymore and all the fluid came out. I was luckily only about a km from home and was able to limp it home.

Unfortunately the soonest a dealer can get it in to look at it is the 21st of May, the other dealer in town isn't booking until June 3rd(!)

Guess I'm riding the Ducati to work unless it's nice and then I'll take my Mustang (it's never seen rain, lol)

Ford Bronco '21 Badlands rear shock failure PXL_20240508_194730580.TS2
Ford Bronco '21 Badlands rear shock failure PXL_20240508_194730580.TS2

Welcome to the club. My 1st shock (left rear) lost all it's fluid @ 42k miles, so call to a dealer wouldn't have helped me. Ended up buying a new one from @flip . Great price from him, but in the end probably a waste because @ 60k miles the right rear shock dumped it's fluid. At that point I decided to dump these shit shocks and started to switch over the the 6100's (no reservoir to leak). Did the rears and will eventually get to the fronts when I decide I want to tackle them.

OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shocks aren't covered by warranty (I thought)? Couldn't you just replace them?
If the shocks aren't covered by warranty when I've never had this thing on a dirt road, they won't have to worry about the warranty because my insurance will cover the fire.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the shocks aren't covered by warranty when I've never had this thing on a dirt road, they won't have to worry about the warranty because my insurance will cover the fire.
I may be wrong, but I thought it was considered a wear item like tires and wasn't covered. Seem to remember several people posting they lost their reservoir and they were Out of Luck Chuck.

They may get covered anyway, I guess. I dunno. Worth asking so you don't wait only to find out later.

OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, and I also paid for extended factory warranty... so we'll see in 2 weeks I guess.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO, if the reservoir is still hanging on and there are no signs of impact, it should be covered under base warranty. We had a '21 Escape in yesterday with both rear shocks leaking and was covered. Surely to shit you can send them some pics and at least get the thing ordered so it's sub 2 hour visit once they can get you in. Signs of impact are going to be the biggest factor. We've seen trim fly off, ran the claim knowing we didn't have the old part if Ford called it but the writeup clearly stated part came off while driving. We didn't have issues with Ford paying but a lot is judgement.

If they wrote it up like, "Customer states he noticed a puddle of oil near his left rear wheel and now suspension feels loose." Tech write up, "verified oil leak near left rear found oil leaking from left rear coil over, jounced left rear of vehicle and did not notice any dampening. Remove left rear wheel, inspect for damage, none found, remove coil over assembly from vehicle, mount in compressor and remove spring, transfer spring and related components to new shock, replace all one time use fasteners (top shock nut, 3 top hat nuts, lower coil over bolt), reinstall assembly, torque all fasteners, clean off oil residue, test drive, OK."

Ford only shows shock labor 18125A for 1.0 so they will need to use M time like MT5560 for the time to swap spring, bumper and other stuff on the new one, probably .5-.7 depending on the tech. Maybe a little time for diag and cleanup depending on how good the warranty admin is but total of about 2 hours.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it has a trash can it's one time use.
They will need
1- W720199-S440
3- W520213-S440
1- W719177-S439
1- W719178-S440
1- shock (has to be looked up by VIN, too many choices)

Shock Absorber and Spring Assembly
Special Tool(s) / General Equipment

Vehicle/Axle Stands
Removal

NOTICE: Suspension fasteners are critical parts that affect the performance of vital components and systems. Failure of these fasteners may result in major service expense. Use the same or equivalent parts if replacement is necessary. Do not use a replacement part of lesser quality or substitute design. Tighten fasteners as specified.

NOTE:
Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.

NOTE: LH side shown, RH side similar.

1. Remove the wheel and tire.
    Refer to: Wheel and Tire (204-04A Wheels and Tires, Removal and Installation).
  1. Remove the rear quarter panel moulding.
    Refer to: Rear Quarter Panel Moulding (501-08 Exterior Trim and Ornamentation, Removal and Installation).
  1. Detach the retainers and remove the splash shield.
    Torque: 18 lb.in (2 Nm)
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
  1. NOTICE: Do not position the jack on the front control arm or rear control arm on any vehicle. Damage to control arms may occur.
    NOTICE: Make sure that the jack insulator pads are correctly positioned to prevent direct contact with other components.

With the vehicle on hoist, place axle stands under the rear axle such that the axle stand insulator pads are in contact with the axle.
    Use the General Equipment: Vehicle/Axle Stands
  1. Remove and discard the rear shock absorber upper nuts.
  1. Remove and discard the rear shock absorber lower nut and bolt and remove the shock absorber.
Installation

NOTE:
Do not fully tighten the shock absorber mounting bolts. Tighten the suspension bushing fasteners with the suspension loaded or with the weight of the vehicle resting on the wheels and tires, otherwise incorrect clamp load and bushing damage may occur.

Hitachi - shock absorber and spring assembly.

1. NOTE: Make sure that the component is installed to the position noted before removal.
    On both sides.
    Make sure that the spring lower end tip in the shock absorber and spring assembly is facing the RH side of the vehicle.
Bilstein - shock absorber and spring assembly.

1. NOTE: Make sure that the component is installed to the position noted before removal.
    1. Shock absorber reservoir should face forward direction for the vehicle.
    1. Make sure coil spring lower end tip in the shock assembly must face RH side of the vehicle.
All vehicles

1. NOTE: Make sure a new nut and bolt is installed.
    Install the new rear shock absorber and shock absorber lower bolt and nut.
    Torque: 350 lb.ft (475 Nm)
  1. Install the new rear shock absorber upper nuts.
    Torque: 41 lb.ft (55 Nm)
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it has a trash can it's one time use.
They will need
1- W720199-S440
3- W520213-S440
1- W719177-S439
1- W719178-S440
1- shock (has to be looked up by VIN, too many choices)

Shock Absorber and Spring Assembly
Special Tool(s) / General Equipment

Vehicle/Axle Stands
Removal

NOTICE: Suspension fasteners are critical parts that affect the performance of vital components and systems. Failure of these fasteners may result in major service expense. Use the same or equivalent parts if replacement is necessary. Do not use a replacement part of lesser quality or substitute design. Tighten fasteners as specified.

NOTE:
Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.

NOTE: LH side shown, RH side similar.

1. Remove the wheel and tire.
    Refer to: Wheel and Tire (204-04A Wheels and Tires, Removal and Installation).
  2. Remove the rear quarter panel moulding.
    Refer to: Rear Quarter Panel Moulding (501-08 Exterior Trim and Ornamentation, Removal and Installation).
  3. Detach the retainers and remove the splash shield.
    Torque: 18 lb.in (2 Nm)
  1. NOTICE: Do not position the jack on the front control arm or rear control arm on any vehicle. Damage to control arms may occur.
    NOTICE: Make sure that the jack insulator pads are correctly positioned to prevent direct contact with other components.

With the vehicle on hoist, place axle stands under the rear axle such that the axle stand insulator pads are in contact with the axle.
    Use the General Equipment: Vehicle/Axle Stands
  1. Remove and discard the rear shock absorber upper nuts.
  1. Remove and discard the rear shock absorber lower nut and bolt and remove the shock absorber.
Installation

NOTE:
Do not fully tighten the shock absorber mounting bolts. Tighten the suspension bushing fasteners with the suspension loaded or with the weight of the vehicle resting on the wheels and tires, otherwise incorrect clamp load and bushing damage may occur.

Hitachi - shock absorber and spring assembly.

On both sides.
    Make sure that the spring lower end tip in the shock absorber and spring assembly is facing the RH side of the vehicle.
Bilstein - shock absorber and spring assembly.

1. Shock absorber reservoir should face forward direction for the vehicle.
    1. Make sure coil spring lower end tip in the shock assembly must face RH side of the vehicle.
All vehicles

1. NOTE: Make sure a new nut and bolt is installed.
    Install the new rear shock absorber and shock absorber lower bolt and nut.
    Torque: 350 lb.ft (475 Nm)
  1. Install the new rear shock absorber upper nuts.
    Torque: 41 lb.ft (55 Nm)
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You too huh? Mine was the passenger rear shock.

Glad I'm upgrading them to Eibach's