First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Question on gear ratio impact on acceleration.

My limited understanding tells me that the higher that first number, the more towing power an engine will have at the cost of quickness.

So my question is, would that mean the lower the first number is, the more quickness/acceleration the engine should provide?
Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

gears with a lower numeric value tend to be slower to accelerate vs gears with a higher numeric gear value. The trade off with my first statement is those lower numeric gears will allow for a greater top speed.

There is a lot that needs to be accounted for and is not just a gear only conversation...just a part of it.

Tire size, engine power band, trans gears, weight of vehicle and intended use all play a factor. Going to a larger (talller) tire will effect the overall efficiency and will in effect make the gears seem like a lower numeric gear for example.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Question on gear ratio impact on acceleration.

My limited understanding tells me that the higher that first number, the more towing power an engine will have at the cost of quickness.

So my question is, would that mean the lower the first number is, the more quickness/acceleration the engine should provide?
What? No.

3.73 would be a lot slower pulling off the line than a 4.46 or better a 4.70.

3.73 is for highway driving with small(er) tires. Search the threads on this forums, there has to be hundreds of threads on this now.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can tow a lot with low power because of gearing. You can also go fast with low power because of gearing. To get moving quickly you need to higher power to get everything moving quicker and to higher rpms.

OP
OP
John Whammer

John Whammer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok. Thanks.

even though my description was way off, this conversation actuallyconfirmed for me that I understood enough to make the right choice based on what I want.

I’ve got an order for an outer banks, 2 door, 2.7, 3.73.

I believe the vehicle will have plenty of low end power for me, especially since I don’t plan to tow.

i expect the acceleration to still be really good when compared to most other vehicles, though not as much as many other Broncos.

Maybe I won’t lay down a patch going into 2nd gear like the Trans Am in Smokey n’ Bandit, but ill bet I don’t miss it either.
Sponsored