Sponsored

4A vs 2H. Which gets better gas mileage?

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Front Axle Disconnect is for the part-time 4x4 system and is needed because the bronco does not have front locking hubs (automatic nor manual). This is because there isn't a differential in the standard transfer case. Those with the Advanced transfer case don't need the front axle disconnect because there is a differential in the transfer case.

We have to realize that a good 80% of the people buying a bronco know very little about four-wheel-drive systems, and possibly the mechanical parts of cars/trucks as well.

The absolutely largest impact you can have on the fuel economy of any vehicle is how you drive it and where you drive it. I currently drive a 2014 Ford Focus with which I can get close to 50mpg on the highway. I'll miss that fuel economy when the bronco showsup. But I'll be having more fun with the bronco for sure.
Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Actually, the entire section of I-10 that is rated for 80 MPH, I was rolling at that speed. What you don't see reflected is the 1/2 hour traffic jam due to the accident on I-10 that I was stuck in. While it's true that I averaged 70 MPH over the entire trip, that included the fact that 3 lanes were shut-down for this accident when I got there.

crash.jpg

As you can imagine, any accident that blows a car on top of the center median like this is going to cause one hell of a traffic jam. So, sorry, you assume wrong. I was moving along until I hit this mess. My average speed prior to the accident was approximately 77 MPH from San Angelo to San Antonio, this accident slowed me way down.
Yikes! That's very respectable for the speedšŸ˜Ž

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the 2 door 2.7 and was getting 18.6 on the Highway in eco 2H over 600 miles. Then switched it to normal 4A and got about 400 miles in 4h and was averaging 18.8. Both similar speeds/RPMs/stopping and going.

i thought it was a fluke too, but Iā€™ve read similar accounts from others. But also read accounts to the contrary, so maybe we just got lucky.
Thats my experience over 8,000 miles
1. Gas mileage on the screen means absolutely nothing. It's a farce. The only way to know for sure is several fillups from the same station, tracking mileage and fuel usage by hand or with an app like Fuelly. Every time someone says, "I get xx mpg" I ignore them because for all I know it was read off the screen for a half mile downhill.

2. 4A pulls in the front axles that are usually freewheeling, which would likely have a slight negative effect on mileage.
The "ships computer" mileage is pretty accurate. I've checked mine from time to time the old fashioned way, and its usually .5 mpg within range, never more than 1 mpg off. However, the difference always is in favor of the car, although "farce" is too strong a word. On my previous 2016 F150, the computer regularly erred by 1 mpg, meaning if the computer said 20mpg, the accurate number was 19mpg.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So have a FE and have about 3,500 miles on it. Mostly driven in 2H normal mode getting around 16.5 eveyday driving. I swear the couple of times I have driven it 4A non-snow I have gotten better mileage. Any insights on this or was it just a fluke.
I found over 8000 miles, it doesn't seem to make any mileage difference between 4H and 4A in vehicles with the upgraded electronic transfer case. Early on, I tried ECO, and it may have helped a little with the different shifting points, but not enough to use it. I also found the computer to be generally accurate within .5 mpg, meaning 20 mpg was actually 19.5 mpg.

adrencg

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
After a month with my Big Bend, I've settled in to an average of 17.5 mpg (2H). That's with 33.8 inch tire upgrades..and I've been driving this car conservatively with a light foot.

My wife gets the same mileage in her Bronco Sport Badlands.

Sponsored

MVBB

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I drive nothing but 2h, Eco mode and normal. 2.3l automatic. 1300 miles. Iā€™m currently at 21mpg

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
4L with both lockers engaged is the best milage

OP
OP
jkburg

jkburg

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2020/2022 ILX, 2017 RDX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
4L with both lockers engaged is the best milage
Getting like 31 doing this. Manual calculation but only drove like 100 yards.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gonna get pedantic here...

Here is another nugget to this. I switched to 100% gas with no ethanol and my mileage went to 21.8 hwy and 20 city. All in 2H
As expected (assuming based on your tone that this was higher than with some ethanol content).
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=27&t=4
"The energy content of ethanol is about 33% less than pure gasoline."

Actually, the entire section of I-10 that is rated for 80 MPH, I was rolling at that speed.
It may be "posted" at 80 mph...

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Getting like 31 doing this. Manual calculation but only drove like 100 yards.
Thanks for understanding that was a joke, some people freak out about that kinda stuff

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Even with selectrac in my XJ I always did better in 2H, 4wd ā€œFull Timeā€ as Jeep labeled it I pretty much only used in snow and it would still kick the ass end loose. My bronco just has the regular part time 2 speed transfer case in it (pay no attention to the badge, I thought it looked cool) because of the past experience.
Sponsored