First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Some of you will disagree with me, but maybe I will win you over with this review. I bring receipts, 50,000 miles of them, both on and off road.

Ford Bronco 50,000 mile Review - Why the Bronco Sucks IMG_20221126_093152

As delivered, my Bronco sucked... For clarity, I took delivery of my 2021 2 door Bronco 2.7l Outer Banks Edition Bronco on 19 Nov 2021. It had 3 packages Advanced 4x4, Lux, and Tow with me paying $47,953 (just under MSRP) + TTL (~$3,100).

Ford Bronco 50,000 mile Review - Why the Bronco Sucks received_1670734536661668

I mean, look at it, totally f-d up rake, dirt everywhere from its time at Dirt Mountain Storage Complex, double honking when it shouldn't be... even the coolant hose was ready to be severed by an engine pulley. Adding insult to injury, the weak sauce B&O system could not be heard over the wind noise coming from the "MIC 2.0" hardtop - which was at least all one color in my personal case.

In many ways, I actively disliked my Bronco as delivered. I might add that I was many times more fortunate than others who have lost engines, transfer cases, fuel pumps, tie rods, and steering racks. My Bronco was built at a time when the MAP employees were not high AF and they did a pretty good job of assembling it (I have only found a few trivial missteps so far. I also missed the airbag recall and the windshield recall.

Now, although I have started off from a somewhat negative place with my Bronco review, I actually love my Bronco... just not the way Ford delivered it. If it wasn't for this Forum, FORSCAN, and FDRS. I would have likely traded it in for a Jeep (or something else).

Ford Bronco 50,000 mile Review - Why the Bronco Sucks received_233184485644998

It has evolved from a vehicle that I had so much to dislike, to something, that even after 50k miles, I still love to drive.

A few things that I do love (and are as delivered by Ford). The 2.7 engine has been rock solid despite the fact that it was in the window for bad valves. It's a beast, especially in a 4416# vehicle. The transmission has been flawless, it doesn't hunt gears, it's reliable, and does a great job of being in the right gear most of the time (especially in sport mode).

The Bronco has taken me to some amazing places during these 50,000 miles. I have more miles than $ in my Bronco now (based on just MSRP).

I will detail all the details on the changes needed to make my Bronco meet my expectations.

And yes, I would do it again (and probably will, because I have a WildTrak on order).
Sponsored

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Change journal.

So the very first day... I knew that changes needed to be made. Yes, I was well aware that I "started with the wrong trim" sorta... They were all wrong for me. I went through the configurations over and over again... Only to be frustrated.

So the first thing that happened was removing the OBX refrigerator magnets (which coincidentally now reside on my refrigerator). Those were replaced by the classic Bronco scripts.

I immediately added the air struts for the hood, an aeroskin II deflector, stubby antenna, and the RTR Tech 6 rims with Patagonia M/T's (17x9 +30 offset and 295/70R17 - 33.5").

Then came all the FORSCAN mods, these made all the difference with respect to day to day enjoyment of the vehicle. This happened before the end of the 1st month of ownership.

It was about this time that I was frustrated with the lack of sound from the B&O system... I replaced all the speakers except the sub-woofer at this point. Huge difference - now on par with the stock Honda CR-V EX-L sound system... lol.

Next modification was the Flowmaster High Clearance Axle Back exhaust. Depending on the road trip, I run either the stock muffler or the Flowmaster. I like the Flowmaster, but the girlfriend doesn't. Around that time, I also installed the RC reinforced tailgate bracket.

After that, I installed the hidden winch mount from RC and the front tow hooks. I installed the actual winch later.

Shortly after that, I installed the Badlands shocks and springs. Less comfy on the highway (by a marginal amount) but better off-road and offers more articulation than the sasquatch package.

I have installed a bunch of tech gadgets. GMRS radio, radar detector, ditch lights, and a tablet for entertainment purposes that's easily viewable from the front passenger seat and both rear seats.

Currently, installing the HOSS 3.0 steering rack.

Naturally, there's a bunch of other things that I have forgotten (example - oil drain plug with adjustable flow) but will add as I go along.

Last edited:

Special Decor

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F 150, 1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In stock form (non SAS) the Bronco looks whemppie. Especially the 4 door. Glad to hear your loving your Bronco after all the issues. I'm still waiting for a 2 door.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If it wasn't for the Raptor golden ticket, I'd be in a 2-door. Have you found the smaller fuel tank to be a nuisance with the shorter driving range over the course your ownership? I still want a 2-door sometime in my future....

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Agree completely.

Buying the wrong trim level for your needs is a questionable place to start a "this vehicle sucks as delivered, it should have come with a bunch of stuff I could have had it delivered with but didnt" thread.

Ford didn't lose me, the OP lost me.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Some of you will disagree with me, but maybe I will win you over with this review. I bring receipts, 50,000 miles of them, both on and off road.

Ford Bronco 50,000 mile Review - Why the Bronco Sucks come-on

As delivered, my Bronco sucked... For clarity, I took delivery of my 2021 2 door Bronco 2.7l Outer Banks Edition Bronco on 19 Nov 2021. It had 3 packages Advanced 4x4, Lux, and Tow with me paying $47,953 (just under MSRP) + TTL (~$3,100).

I mean, look at it, totally f-d up rake, dirt everywhere from its time at Dirt Mountain Storage Complex, double honking when it shouldn't be... even the coolant hose was ready to be severed by an engine pulley. Adding insult to injury, the weak sauce B&O system could not be heard over the wind noise coming from the "MIC 2.0" hardtop - which was at least all one color in my personal case.

In many ways, I actively disliked my Bronco as delivered. I might add that I was many times more fortunate than others who have lost engines, transfer cases, fuel pumps, tie rods, and steering racks. My Bronco was built at a time when the MAP employees were not high AF and they did a pretty good job of assembling it (I have only found a few trivial missteps so far. I also missed the airbag recall and the windshield recall.

Now, although I have started off from a somewhat negative place with my Bronco review, I actually love my Bronco... just not the way Ford delivered it. If it wasn't for this Forum, FORSCAN, and FDRS. I would have likely traded it in for a Jeep (or something else).

It has evolved from a vehicle that I had so much to dislike, to something, that even after 50k miles, I still love to drive.

A few things that I do love (and are as delivered by Ford). The 2.7 engine has been rock solid despite the fact that it was in the window for bad valves. It's a beast, especially in a 4416# vehicle. The transmission has been flawless, it doesn't hunt gears, it's reliable, and does a great job of being in the right gear most of the time (especially in sport mode).

The Bronco has taken me to some amazing places during these 50,000 miles. I have more miles than $ in my Bronco now (based on just MSRP).

I will detail all the details on the changes needed to make my Bronco meet my expectations.

And yes, I would do it again (and probably will, because I have a WildTrak on order).
The stockness is still good, but compared to this is totally different.

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Yeah TLDR.

I will agree it probably did suck though, you got an OBX with painted fender flairs 🤮

OK, carry on.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting point, one I had considered too.

I didn't like the rims and tires on the Sasquatch. I never wanted or intended to run 35's. I do love the 33.5" tires with the Badlands suspension (which has more articulation than the Sasquatch package).

Also, ACC was a must have for all of the driving I do.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Agree completely.

Buying the wrong trim level for your needs is a questionable place to start a "this vehicle sucks as delivered, it should have come with a bunch of stuff I could have had it delivered with but didnt" thread.

Ford didn't lose me, the OP lost me.
How did I start with the wrong trim level? I wanted a cloth interior (that wasn't ugly) and I didn't need the front locker.

Tell me, what trim level comes with all 8 GOAT modes, is on 33's, has the advanced 4x4 transfer case, can be equipped with the lux package, has front fog lights, with a cloth interior?

Oh, that's right, none of them.

It was really either the OBX or the Badlands without Sasquatch. The Badlands lost out for 3 reasons. MGV or Leather only, cost, weight. I wanted to make the most of the power to weight ratio, I wanted to keep the cost under 50k, and if you have ever taken the top off in Texas during the summer, you would understand why black MGV wasn't very appealing.

Saying I got the wrong trim is like telling a Badlands owner that he should have gotten the WildTrak if he wanted a heavy duty steering rack for rock crawling, and then telling the WildTrak owner that he should have gotten the Badlands if he wanted more articulation with the sway bar disconnect.

The real problem was that none of the trim levels were exactly what I wanted. That's ok, this is one thing about the Bronco that truly shines, the modularity of it. I had to pick a starting point and all of them weren't really what I wanted.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

It's good to hear the good with the bad. That you still obviously love it (like a crazy aunt or uncle), and have another on order speaks volumes.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
How did I start with the wrong trim level? I wanted a cloth interior (that wasn't ugly) and I didn't need the front locker.

Tell me, what trim level comes with all 8 GOAT modes, is on 33's, has the advanced 4x4 transfer case, can be equipped with the lux package, has front fog lights, with a cloth interior?

Oh, that's right, none of them.

It was really either the OBX or the Badlands without Sasquatch. The Badlands lost out for 3 reasons. MGV or Leather only, cost, weight. I wanted to make the most of the power to weight ratio, I wanted to keep the cost under 50k, and if you have ever taken the top off in Texas during the summer, you would understand why black MGV wasn't very appealing.

Saying I got the wrong trim is like telling a Badlands owner that he should have gotten the WildTrak if he wanted a heavy duty steering rack for rock crawling, and then telling the WildTrak owner that he should have gotten the Badlands if he wanted more articulation with the sway bar disconnect.

The real problem was that none of the trim levels were exactly what I wanted. That's ok, this is one thing about the Bronco that truly shines, the modularity of it. I had to pick a starting point and all of them weren't really what I wanted.
Just add sasquatch package to your initial order.

Aaaaaaaaaand, there goes your "arguments" against the issues of what you did order.

Brain + rocket = rocket bicycle!
Sponsored