Sponsored

87 top-tier gas, 93 non-top-tier gas, or mix it up for the Bronco?

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Peak HP and torque numbers published by Ford are achieved with premium fuel.

The eco boost engines in F150s and Mustangs see significant power loss when using lower octane gasoline. I can't imagine the Bronco will be any different. I'll probably be using premium to get the most out of it. Locally I try and only fill up at BP or Shell.
Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It's all bullshit. I drove a tanker for a couple years. Saw tankers from all suppliers filling their tanks at the same places I fueled my tanker.
Same gas, same loading rack, different additives. There's multiple additives tanks at the rack and who you are loading for will determine which is injected into your load.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Without a tune you will not see a performance increase running 93 octane gas.
When it comes to ford this isn't true. Fords ecu pulls or advances timing based on fuel quality and is usually optimized for 91, so you will see a performance difference from 87 to 93

Edit: just looked at the ranger and it's rated at 87 so I am wrong.

Last edited:

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Peak HP and torque numbers published by Ford are achieved with premium fuel.

The eco boost engines in F150s and Mustangs see significant power loss when using lower octane gasoline. I can't imagine the Bronco will be any different. I'll probably be using premium to get the most out of it. Locally I try and only fill up at BP or Shell.
Mustang 2.3 ecoboosts are rated at higher octane. Broncos (for now) are rated at 87. It will take a tuning change to see performance gains from 93 octane in a bronco.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ll use what the manual says unless proven otherwise. I could see Ford saying 87 is fine and 91+ gives a very slight boost to economy but not enough to pay for itself in increased fuel cost. With enough Broncos out there I’m sure someone will do a real world test.

Sponsored

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Obviously we know about the benefits of top tier detergent gasoline (exxon/shell/valero etc.) over non-top tier (sams club/bucees/kroeger/general off brand gasoline) in terms of keeping the engine clean, but we also know this is a turbo charged engine that won't unlock the full listed power (and small efficiency gains) from the engines (2.3 or 2.7) without premium gasoline. This is a turbo engine and keeping it clean is crucial for engine and turbo life, but since the 2.7L engine has direct injection and port injection (to help wash away carbon build up) , it would seem that having maximum detergent levels in the gasoline isn't quite as critical.

In my area, there is a 60c to 80c spread for premium over regular at top tier stations, but at Sams club, it's only 30c more a gallon for premium. For example, currently the well priced shell station nearby is $2.45 for regular, but $3.09 for premium, whereas the Sams club is $2.25 for regular and only $2.55 for premium. Basically, I'm willing to pay an extra 10c/gallon for premium at non-top tier Sams Club over regular at Shell, but not an extra 60c or more for premium at a top tier station. Unfortunately the top tier Costco gas station with cheaper premium gas is far out of my way.

I'd like to get the maximum performance and full turbo spool/boost out of the engine, but don't want to gum up the engine in the long run as I plan on keeping this thing over 200k miles or till gas is just too expensive. (Also, apparently baby-ing the throttle for too long can cause the turbo wastegate to seize and result in premature turbocharger failure and replacement).

So what fuel would y'all put in the Bronco? 87 top tier (Shell for example), 93 Sams club, or just mix it up and fill up with 87 shell for one tank and then a 93 sams club for the next tank? Or even just 87 Sams club on occasion if you're feeling cheap? I'm getting a squatched 4dr BD (almost 5300 lbs) 2.7L FWIW. Edit: also getting shadow black and live in Central Texas, so high air intake and engine temps are also of concern).
I could not figure why my lawn tractor was running rough. I tried a top tier gas and it resolved the problem. That's all I needed to know.

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mustang 2.3 ecoboosts are rated at higher octane. Broncos (for now) are rated at 87. It will take a tuning change to see performance gains from 93 octane in a bronco.
I disagree. I always run top tier 93. On a long trip I tried 91 to save money. Not only could I feel the difference in performance, the mpg dropped.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I disagree. I always run top tier 93. On a long trip I tried 91 to save money. Not only could I feel the difference in performance, the mpg dropped.
You are correct. While the engine can safely run on 87 octane, the best performance is on 91 and higher. It's even listed in the owners manual and in the technical specs. The 2.3 gains 25 hp and the 2.7 15 hp when using premium fuel. Most likely uses the knock sensors to adjust the timing which will give better performance on the higher octane fuel.

2.3 specs on the left, 2.7 on the right.

Ford Bronco 87 top-tier gas, 93 non-top-tier gas, or mix it up for the Bronco? Fuel

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m impressed you can feel 10-20hp difference in a bronco.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m impressed you can feel 10-20hp difference in a bronco.
It's an almost 10% gain on the 2.3. It isn't earth-shattering, but yeah, it's definitely noticeable.

Sponsored

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know about the numbers but I can feel the difference. I'm an old hot rodder - I can feel the difference with carb adjustments, timing, fuel etc
Sponsored