Accessories HURT$$$

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't see it as packing things where the sun don't shine. It's a huge convenience to offer aftermarket stuff installed at the dealer and be able to roll it in to the loan. One stop shopping has a value to people who don't have the time, patience, or other resources to go another route. And it's not like they're forcing you to buy things their way, feel free to shop elsewhere.

I've never been a fan of criticizing what someone is selling something for as long as it isn't a basic need for life or if they're a monopoly. In this case, there are options. The market will determine price - If nobody buys the LED lights from Ford, they may reconsider what they're charging. If you see them charging the same or more year after year, they probably have enough takers at that price. It's a business model, it's not like Ford picked your name out of a phone book and had a board meeting to single you out for a fleecing on some paddle board racks and a trailer hitch cozy.

There's 10 dozen installers and backyard mechanics that will be happy to take less for the same install. You pick.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just my two cent's: Is that throughout FORDS history: yes, they made their vehicles for everyone, starting with H. FORD. NOT complaining just a fact. I know this is brand spanking new (and I am still buying my badass BADLAND without flinching) but my issue here (and this IS a complaint) is why, after I plunk down over 50K for my vehicle, why would you pound sand in me where the SUN DONT SHINE, if I want some extra accessories like lights etc., what, just because it has "FORDS" stamp on it, when aftermarket will be half the price!? I think FORD can do better, Be nice to your loyal family is all I am saying.
Does include installation and hook up to the aux switches. You could do it for less aftermarket but that is worth something.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Assuming the B&P is showing the correct prices that include installation (as was previously announced), then most of the accessories seem to be at a reasonable price point (based on some quick research on Warn/Rigid products).

Of course, assuming B&P is accurate is a bit risky at the moment.
(I still can't get past the fact that engine size is currently a limiting factor for PPF.)

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although you are correct here JAGSarge, theoretically, you're missing one principle in your analysis; marginal utility.

Value decreases over time, but usage holds value as well. The only way you're truly out of the money spent on accessories is if you purchase but don't use them.

A winch is expensive, but if you actually hit some trails, you'll eventually get stuck. More often, you'll find some unprepared folks out there who you can help. Sure, a snatch strap could be used to tow them out, but the winch is more fun since you have it.

All products depreciate, but the value we place in and get out of them shouldn't be overlooked. I'd suggest gap coverage for any modern vehicle, but the way used car costs are right now, Depreciation on an outdoor vehicle may be less than you think. Wranglers hold their value very well and it certainly aint for the build quality and reliability....

Sponsored

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

With the long wait, if people can afford to, they should save money to put more down so that you're not upside down on the car loan. If they can't save extra money they should probably just buy accessories as they get the cash for it because that extra couple grand worth of accessories is earning interest to pay back too.

TJ Freestone

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just have to accept that you have to "pay to play". This is an expensive, and largely unnecessary, vehicle. It's sort of a luxury item in a way, and luxuries are not found on the bargain aisle. It's expensive, but cool. How much are willing to pay for cool? Each of us have to answer that for ourselves.
I tried to talk myself into Bronco Sport. I would certainly get it sooner and at a lower price. I had to say "no way" as I am willing to wait and pay for cool. I am noticing all of the look-a-like jeeps and can't wait to get my hands on the real Bronco.
I do ask myself why Ford did not release in reverse order, but I know the answer to that question also. I hate to say it but I am willing to pay the price for cool.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the long wait, if people can afford to, they should save money to put more down so that you're not upside down on the car loan. If they can't save extra money they should probably just buy accessories as they get the cash for it because that extra couple grand worth of accessories is earning interest to pay back too.
Actually, in a down economy like this one that will continue for at least another 10-14 months, it is smarter to just pay a higher monthly note and keep the cash saved and in your pocket.

Want to do something with that money? You can invest it, even in something short term, you'll make at least a 4% return over the 5 years you're paying for the car. At the end, just do the math on that $2K-$10K down payment you'll be placing. A trade in is a totally different story.

You're new ride will likely come with Gap coverage from your financier anyway, but if you're new Bronco gets totaled within the first 4 years, you've just burned your down payment.

Only time such a payment actually makes sense is when you pay off your car in 36 months, but even that is risky. Just finance for 60, make an extra 2-4 payments per year, and you'll pay it off in 4 years instead of 5. This is smart money, so just do the math to see if it would make sense for you if you can afford to do so.
Sponsored