First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands, 07 FJ Cruiser, 04 WRX STI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Using the block heater on my 2.7L it gets the coolant temp up to around 100 degrees F.

My normal operating coolant temp this winter has been around 180-190 F. I don't think the block heater is supposed to get the coolant temp up to normal operating temp, only to keep the coolant warm to assist with easier startup and quicker time to normal temps.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1kW at 120V is between 8A and 9A. So you should be ok with a 10A plug, but there isn't a lot of room there.

That would explain why you are seeing some temp response, but not "block is totally warm". It's only able to warm up that one little spot, and the heater is going to cycle when it gets too hot to keep from burning/boiling out - most heaters I know cycle around 180-200F or so. It probably is hitting 140F+ right at the heater, but especially if it's outside, it's a huge hunk of metal sitting out in the cold, so you aren't going to transfer much heat through the metal - I would think you need a little recirc pump.

Our big industrial engines run between 2k and 5kW of pre-heaters - those are large 50L+ blocks, but they have little recirc pumps that keep the coolant flowing. And it will keep the entire block up around 100F+ so It doesn't take much. So you have enough heater there to do it, just need to get it where it needs to go I think.

That or throw a blanket over it.-+

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I just realized that the user manual states that it requires 220v and optimal temps are reached after 3 hours.

IMG_5608.jpeg

IMG_5607.jpeg

I guess my search for a different timer is required because the one I got isn’t rated for 220-240v nor is the outlet I’m using. So, I guess I need a dedicated outlet, timer and outdoor extension cord.

IMG_5606.jpeg

I agree that the coolant should be 100°F+ in those ambient temps. Oil + coolant hitting 50-60°F after a few miles has been normal operation without the heater. I’m expecting to be able to turn the heater on and immediately be at near operating temps pulling out of the driveway.
Sponsored