Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO, the best resale will come from Base, Auto, with few other options or Base, Manual, with few other options. Both of these will appeal to someone who wants a Bronco but can't afford the higher trim levels on the used market.

Admittedly, not the same thing, but my son's Focus was totaled after 2 years. It was a base with zero options. It was valued at just $600 less than the purchase cost. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most options depreciate faster than the base value of the vehicle.
Sponsored

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A 2.3 auto will be as desirable as a 2.7 auto for 50 % of the buyers . IMO

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t know...the Jeep resale of the manual with the little engine doesn’t bear that out. I would agree if they eliminate the manual at some point, but unless they do, the market will demand more big engines with autos.
I'm not sure what "bear that out" means here. I do know when I was negotiating with the insurance company (yes it was a negotiation and not a take it leave it offer) in 2019 for my totaled 2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon the price went up because it was a manual. The Rubicon engine was the same for both manual and auto that year so that did not play a part. They even knew the manual was worth more on the resale market. Their data matched my research.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I test drove a 2.3 and it’s more power than I’ll ever need, and definitely more power than my current SUV. I am happy to get better MPG too.
However I plan on keeping this Bronco 2-3y max so resale value is definitely a criteria. It seems to me most people on this forum go for the 2.7, so I am afraid the 2.3 will affect resale value.
What do you think?

Also do we have some real world 2.3 vs 2.7 mpg on current Ford vehicles?
Which vehicle did you drive with the 2.3?

I drove the Explorer and it was a dog. It was loud and felt like it was laboring. The Bronco is expected to weigh more than an Explorer.

I have my doubts that the Ranger 2.3 experience will transfer to the bronco which is heaver and has the aerodynamics of a brick.

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which vehicle did you drive with the 2.3?

I drove the Explorer and it was a dog. It was loud and felt like it was laboring. The Bronco is expected to weigh more than an Explorer.

I have my doubts that the Ranger 2.3 experience will transfer to the bronco which is heaver and has the aerodynamics of a brick.
Ranger. But I just read a few reviews of the Explorer 2.3 and they all say it's torquey and powerful. So idk it's all relative. Maybe for you it feels underpowered, but my SUV has 180HP and it's plenty for me. In Europe, a standard size SUV will often have 110HP. A compact car often starts at 75HP, with 90 as an upgrade. People drive fine there, and hell they even have half the road fatalities per capita...

Also I have tested the Jeep with the 2.0 and it was more than enough power.

Sponsored

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
50 more foot pounds of torque at 2000 rpm says to me the 2.7 with the auto will not hunt so much at highway speeds

Before a tuner says what a 2.3 can do we all know where resale goes modified

Bronco88

Black Diamond
First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.7 hands down, very close in mileage but more powa, better designed motor (built to take a beating in F150) imo and more potential with tuning. Resale is something I've thought, I think having the 2.7 could get your a good mark up on a private sale during these first couple years.

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just to specify: I never trade in, only sell direct. Also not interested in manual.
My upfront cost for 2.7 is 1800. So I guess my question is 3 years from today, for 2 exact same bronco Big Bend Sasquatch one being $47K today with the 2.3, the other one being $48.8K today with 2.7L, will I have more trouble selling the 2.3 for a good price if no one wants it.

I guess it's an impossible question to answer but was looking to get opinions.
In 3 years some people might still be waiting for their reservations, I wouldn’t worry about finding buyers for either

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not sure where people are getting their information from but I'd guess it's an enthusiasts' mindset. An automatic will always be much easier to sell than a manual. A plain color like silver tend to have the highest resale value. The vehicle will depreciate, so get the smaller engine as it'll keep the value down (not for you but keep the total value of the vehicle less, proportionately) for resale and easier to sell. The general rule of thumb for resale is to keep it as basic and plain as you can.

Background is selling cars for four years.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not sure where people are getting their information from but I'd guess it's an enthusiasts' mindset. An automatic will always be much easier to sell than a manual. A plain color like silver tend to have the highest resale value. The vehicle will depreciate, so get the smaller engine as it'll keep the value down (not for you but keep the total value of the vehicle less, proportionately) for resale and easier to sell. The general rule of thumb for resale is to keep it as basic and plain as you can.

Background is selling cars for four years.
I think the manual would bring different buyers than the people would buy the auto. Less people obviously know how to drive manuals. But for me I'm going for the manual and not for any sell value down the line. I think people should focus on how they want their Bronco to be and less about resale. I'd bet the Broncos will hold their value similar to Jeep but only time will tell.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the manual would bring different buyers than the people would buy the auto. Less people obviously know how to drive manuals. But for me I'm going for the manual and not for any sell value down the line. I think people should focus on how they want their Bronco to be and less about resale. I'd bet the Broncos will hold their value similar to Jeep but only time will tell.
I fully agree about just getting the vehicle they want. Resale value outside of luxury vehicles or other high depreciation types really shouldn't be a concern in my opinion either as it isn't that much of a difference. I was trying to answer the question though factually.

sjjohnny

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Black Diamond, '00 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you must have the automatic (like me, I've had my fill of manuals), why wouldn't you pay $300 more for the 2.7tt ... regardless of resale value...?? This is not a green machine, it seems like a no brainer to me.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't see you getting the full $1800 back personally, the average person won't care if it has "the big engine" or not.
I agree with not seeing the full 1800 return , but...
I don't see the "average person" buying a Bronco.
I'd argue primarily "enthusiasts" buy Broncos and Jeeps. Not saying they are hard core offroaders, they are just more into the passion of owning a certain vehicle....it's more than just a way to shuttle kids around to them. It's part of their self image.
These enthisiasts (buyers) will have a preference for the larger motor...and tires, etc.
Just my whopping 2 cents worth...

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I fully agree about just getting the vehicle they want. Resale value outside of luxury vehicles or other high depreciation types really shouldn't be a concern in my opinion either as it isn't that much of a difference. I was trying to answer the question though factually.
I agree with what you said, what I said was more anecdotal. Only time will tell how these vehicles will depreciate over time. Like the Wrangler, I'd assume the four door Bronco will probably depreciate at a lower rate compared to the two door.

I'd hope the Bronco will be in the same range as the Wrangler at least with how they depreciate.

https://www.iseecars.com/cars-that-hold-their-value-study

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can never go wrong with the biggest available engine.
Sponsored