First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3/Challenger R/T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've got a Mazdaspeed3 with the 2.3. For what it's worth that engine held about 450 crank on stock internals for 20k+ miles, and honestly the only reason I blew was the inability to control boost spike, if Ford designed the 2.7 to handle abuse better than that, I'll be set. I probably won't off-road too terribly much, but I'd love to have a vehicle that when tuned could accelerate quickly.
Sponsored

RAB123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RUBICON , 1980 BLAZER , OWNED LIKE 4 OF THE ORIGINAL BRONCOS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
there are lots of aluminum heads on cast iron blocks running around that have had the head gasket fail , there are tolerances and if adhered to and a quality re-surface has been conducted it should meet the acceptable repair practices and be returned to service good as the next .

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bottom line: the 2.7 is a better-built engine than the 2.3. Which makes the suck that much worse for those who want a manual transmission :(

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bottom line: the 2.7 is a better-built engine than the 2.3. Which makes the suck that much worse for those who want a manual transmission :(
I wholeheartedly agree with you...

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wholeheartedly agree with you...
I keep trying to get over this, but I don't want the 2.3, and I don't want an auto. I think about waiting for the V8 from Jeep, but then I drink my first cup of coffee of the day, and realize that Jeep will not put a manual behind the V8, only the 8-speed ZF, so I'd be left with the 3.6 Pentastar if I want a manual in a Jeep. I bought a very average truck (3rd gen Tacoma) when there were better options in the market - because I wanted a manual. The limited options provided by manufacturers are making it so manual-buyers have to sacrifice power, even reliability (in some cases), and choice, to stick with the stick. At first I was more conciliatory, and I was like "Its cool Ford at least provided a manual with the base engine, and the creeper gear is awesome" now I'm more "F-that, how can I feel good about buying a less powerful, less reliable engine engine when the 2.7 is sitting there on the dealer's lot, like a temptress." Aaaand, maybe the coffee was too strong.

Sponsored

Nethark

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2015 F150 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, just a punched out 2.7. Used in some Lincolns and the new Explorer.
The 3.0 Ecoboost V6 used by Lincoln and the 2020 Explorer is an aluminum block.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 3.0 Ecoboost V6 used by Lincoln and the 2020 Explorer is an aluminum block.
Prove it. With a picture, not a link to an article that quotes another article that misinterpreted a Ford press release.

Sponsored

Nethark

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2015 F150 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My nephew has a 2017 Lincoln MKZ with the 3.0 ecoboost engine and it is an aluminum block.
If you get a change to visit a Ford dealer and open the hood of a 2020 Explorer ST you can observe for yourself.
Sponsored