First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond 2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I will be tearing the dash apart in the near future to add a GMRS radio, amp, and a couple other things.

I would like to add a USB port to the top of the dash, hopefully with standard and USB-C ports on it. I have no problem cutting the dash and mounting these.

Does anyone see a problem with splicing the USB wires that are currently in place to provide these connections?

Should I add a hub? I dont care about carplay and things like that on top of the dash, just need power to charge devices.

I thought about running to the fuse panel but dont I need something so Im not sending a full 12V to the USB cable?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would not use any part of the stock USB system. I added a port on top of my dash and ran the cord down to plug in the console. The power cuts in and out and doesn't appear to put out very many amps.

OP
OP
wyobronco

wyobronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would not use any part of the stock USB system. I added a port on top of my dash and ran the cord down to plug in the console. The power cuts in and out and doesn't appear to put out very many amps.

I see options for boats, and it looks like they just run directly to the battery. It seems like that would be the solution?

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see options for boats, and it looks like they just run directly to the battery. It seems like that would be the solution?
Yup. Blue Sea Systems

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yours cuts in and out? I’m not having any issues following what you did… yet

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I will be tearing the dash apart in the near future to add a GMRS radio, amp, and a couple other things.

I would like to add a USB port to the top of the dash, hopefully with standard and USB-C ports on it. I have no problem cutting the dash and mounting these.

Does anyone see a problem with splicing the USB wires that are currently in place to provide these connections?

Should I add a hub? I dont care about carplay and things like that on top of the dash, just need power to charge devices.

I thought about running to the fuse panel but dont I need something so Im not sending a full 12V to the USB cable?

Thanks for any suggestions!
I would follow some of the excellent articles already written on this.

For example, here's the full how to for accessing everything and how to put a proper USB port in the rig. Just bypass the massage bits and go up to the dash, but this article is a great starting point instead of a generic question.

https://www.bronco6g.com/how-to-magsafe-wireless-charger-install-in-factory-location-diy/

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm looking to do this too!

Gonna go with these...

Usb flush mount

Probably add a set to the back. Have 3 girls and need more USBs in the 2nd row.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yours cuts in and out? I’m not having any issues following what you did… yet
Yes I use one of those chargers that has a motorized clamp and often it wont charge, sometimes won't even operate the clamp. I have the same one in my pickup run off a cig lighter USB adapter and it's never given issues, so I'm assuming the problem is the stock USB port not having enough amperage.

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve done this mod several times, I tap into glovebox aux wire, run to aux6, which i leave always on to power USB, gmrs and amp trigger wires

4E84FFF0-9BB4-4441-A1D3-254BC44D456A.jpeg

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve done this mod several times, I tap into glovebox aux wire, run to aux6, which i leave always on to power USB, gmrs and amp trigger wires

Ford Bronco Adding USB to a non Lux dash ? 4E84FFF0-9BB4-4441-A1D3-254BC44D456A
Yep! Those are the ones I linked. I think from one of your pictures in another post. Much appreciated! 👏

I've done it too, but not on this vehicle yet and not these mounts in particular (I've done the cigarette lighter replacement, with voltage reading).

Sponsored
OP
OP
wyobronco

wyobronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ford Bronco Adding USB to a non Lux dash ? 4E84FFF0-9BB4-4441-A1D3-254BC44D456A
On the left and right hand side of that pocket on the flat panels, is there enough room to do that same thing? I would like to keep that pocket open if possible.

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On the left and right hand side of that pocket on the flat panels, is there enough room to do that same thing? I would like to keep that pocket open if possible.
Not sure about that, I’d probably do some dash disassembly , and get a peek before drilling there

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks