Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hi everyone I have spent way too much time trying to decide between ADV and Anderson Composites (AC) for my bronco hardtop. I thought I had finally decided to go with AC due to their lower price point, however watching ADVs video on their hardtop construction left me with some questions. ADV shows a cross section of their hardtop construction in their video which shows that the core is made out of solid foam sandwiched between the fiberglass.

I decided to email AC about the construction of their top regarding what type of core that they use. I was simply told that they use a "Honeycomb composite core." I will update this thread if they decide to elaborate on the type of composite used. They said that they will no be able to provide a photo of a cross section like ADV did. It could be paper composite just like the OEM top. It could be nomex, thermoplastic, ect. It is hard to know without a company being specific, and I am skeptical when a company shys away from discussing the generals of the construction of their product.

From my understanding of laminates from boats, solid foam cores have fewer incidences of delamination due to the larger surface area for bonding. Foam cores also allow for some flexibility which reduces the chances of stress cracks over the life of the laminate. This flexibility also more resilience to impacts. Foam core is the more expensive option between foam and honeycomb, and is usually considered the superior choice. There is definitely a spectrum of quality regarding the choice of honeycomb used in a laminate, as can be seen by fords choice of a paper composite.

It would be cool if @ADV Fiberglass could chime in as to why they decided to go with a foam core.

Picture of ADVs hardtop cross section

Ford Bronco ADV vs Anderson Composites Hardtop Construction adv cor

Picture of the OEM hardtop core (paper composite)

Ford Bronco ADV vs Anderson Composites Hardtop Construction 2021 Ford Bronco MIC Hard Top 1.0 construction material cross section inside 5
Sponsored

ADV Fiberglass

Big Bend
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advfiberglass.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hi everyone I have spent way too much time trying to decide between ADV and Anderson Composites (AC) for my bronco hardtop. I thought I had finally decided to go with AC due to their lower price point, however watching ADVs video on their hardtop construction left me with some questions. ADV shows a cross section of their hardtop construction in their video which shows that the core is made out of solid foam sandwiched between the fiberglass.

I decided to email AC about the construction of their top regarding what type of core that they use. I was simply told that they use a "Honeycomb composite core." I will update this thread if they decide to elaborate on the type of composite used. They said that they will no be able to provide a photo of a cross section like ADV did. It could be paper composite just like the OEM top. It could be nomex, thermoplastic, ect. It is hard to know without a company being specific, and I am skeptical when a company shys away from discussing the generals of the construction of their product.

From my understanding of laminates from boats, solid foam cores have fewer incidences of delamination due to the larger surface area for bonding. Foam cores also allow for some flexibility which reduces the chances of stress cracks over the life of the laminate. This flexibility also more resilience to impacts. Foam core is the more expensive option between foam and honeycomb, and is usually considered the superior choice. There is definitely a spectrum of quality regarding the choice of honeycomb used in a laminate, as can be seen by fords choice of a paper composite.

It would be cool if @ADV Fiberglass could chime in as to why they decided to go with a foam core.

Picture of ADVs hardtop cross section

Ford Bronco ADV vs Anderson Composites Hardtop Construction 2021 Ford Bronco MIC Hard Top 1.0 construction material cross section inside 5

Picture of the OEM hardtop core (paper composite)

Our 4th video release explains a lot of why the closed cell foam core is the best option. The 4th video will be posted on 6/13.

Naxster

Badlands
First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know much about the different cores and why one is better over the other.
But I don't think the cores have been the issue with the OEM top, right? It's all been the plastic/polymer that's been failing.

The AC and ADV hard tops are both fiberglass, which should hold up better than the oem top.

I personally like the idea of the AC top matching the OEM dimensions for compatability with other accessories. (like the bestop skyrider) As well as it being a 4 piece top, instead of the 3 pieces that ADV uses. Adv might be less noisy, but the rear seat doesn't get an open top. Maybe they'll release a 4 piece in the future.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
medguy

medguy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know much about the different cores and why one is better over the other.
But I don't think the cores have been the issue with the OEM top, right? It's all been the plastic/polymer that's been failing.

The AC and ADV hard tops are both fiberglass, which should hold up better than the oem top.

I personally like the idea of the AC top matching the OEM dimensions for compatability with other accessories. (like the bestop skyrider) As well as it being a 4 piece top, instead of the 3 pieces that ADV uses. Adv might be less noisy, but the rear seat doesn't get an open top. Maybe they'll release a 4 piece in the future.
The plastic issue people have been having with the OEM tops is the plastic delaminating from the core. That causes the plastic to then bubble.

IfAC uses a paper composite core it may have the same issues as the OEM top just further down the line. Not all honeycomb cores are created equal.

rblume73

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 07 F150, 73 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honeycomb cores have been used in Aerospace for years without problems. All the VIP planes use it to cut down on weight, and they apply everything from paint to veneer to the skin. Most panels are 2 ply fiberglass resin skin adhered to both sides of the core. Whoever Ford is using for the tops must not know how to properly apply to the panel skin.

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'd really want to see actual photos / videos of that before purchasing. Looks kinda neat, but I spec'd the one I'd want and it was just under $8k. Yikes...
Yeah, but so is ADV after shipping, tax, etc

Sponsored

C_Iron

Badlands
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
WOW, nice find ! That actually looks pretty cool, wonder how thick or tough they really are. Seriously considering this one
Well, I should be finding out real soon. I have this top on order, and production has begun. I should be receiving my email and delivery very soon.

There are Youtube videos of this top in action, and what clinched my decision was seeing Tyler aka BroncBuster roll the prototype down the side of the obstacle and come out unscathed. The top had a few hits but was no worse for wear. This was an earlier version and now with the revisions, it will be a very nice top.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anybody look at the dates on these threads? You're answering a year old post.
Sponsored