Sponsored

Advice needed - What to do when current car blows up?

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
would you buy new for same price and hope the resale value holds at trade in like it does now? Seems like a risky play and I don't wanna pay sales tax twice on a 30k car purchase.
If you buy a wrangler or tacoma they will hold their value.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Users on this forum tell me I should call FoMoCo's corporate office and ask to talk to a CEO, CFO or equivalent person.

This will not only help Ford understand you more as an individual, but also they can pull a few strings and get your Bronco rushed to the front of the line.

Perhaps more honestly, I would say buy another used car that has a good 2-3 cheap years of operation left on it's bones, sell off the Forester and drive whatever econobox you got until Bronco arrives. Saving money for the down the entire way.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

would you buy new for same price and hope the resale value holds at trade in like it does now? Seems like a risky play and I don't wanna pay sales tax twice on a 30k car purchase.
Usually on a trade-in your taxable amount is deducted by the value of the trade, so you wouldn’t be paying tax on 60k. More like 30k + the difference in the Bronco price - trade value. This might be state to state though, not 100% I don’t do trade-ins.

Sounds like you need a reliable form of transportation, which you don’t currently have. Get something reliable now, and re-evaluate when the time comes to make a decision on taking delivery of the Bronco.

One thing I wouldn’t do, however, is get very cheap vehicle that isn’t broken (yet) in the hopes of saving money in the long term. This almost never pans out the way you’d hope, and will cost you in the long run. Buy used, but don’t buy another junker.

Get something reliable, that you’re happy with now. When the Bronco is ready it will be there for you to decide if you want it. Don’t get yourself into a situation where your mobility and potentially your livelihood is in jeopardy because you’re waiting on a vehicle with no set timeline of delivery.

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Users on this forum tell me I should call FoMoCo's corporate office and ask to talk to a CEO, CFO or equivalent person.

This will not only help Ford understand you more as an individual, but also they can pull a few strings and get your Bronco rushed to the front of the line.

Perhaps more honestly, I would say buy another used car that has a good 2-3 cheap years of operation left on it's bones, sell off the Forester and drive whatever econobox you got until Bronco arrives. Saving money for the down the entire way.
This, buy something cheap and drive it into the ground until your Bronco shows up late next year

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

reservation - 7/16/2021
order - 7/17/2021
Change it to a Base 4dr. soft top with the 2.3l, who knows, the Bronco gods may just shine down upon you.

BTW, That's what you get for buying a Subaru!! 🤣 🤣 Just messing with you, but I will say, my little Mustang v6 just passed 222k miles and still going strong. Luckily for me, with the way Ford is ignoring my reservation, I have a car that runs..... for now ;)

Now, on to your dilemma. It sounds like a judgement call on your part. If you are all in on the Bronco, well you wait it out and make do with what you have. If you're on the fence, wait it out til the Subaru blows up, hope for the best on your order. If you aren't all in, then look into whatever else is out there you like and fits your budget.

Sponsored

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you mean the car shakes real bad driving it, it will not blow up! But steering could be compromised. Jack car up and move each front tire manually side to side to check for play. Also look at tire tread to see which side may be wearing unevenly. I bet its a reasonably cheap fix on that model car, and with a few tools and a You-tube video; you will still have funds to purchase a six pack to invite a mechanically inclined friend over to the house.

OP
OP

droosif

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you mean the car shakes real bad driving it, it will not blow up! But steering could be compromised. Jack car up and move each front tire manually side to side to check for play. Also look at tire tread to see which side may be wearing unevenly. I bet its a reasonably cheap fix on that model car, and with a few tools and a You-tube video; you will still have funds to purchase a six pack to invite a mechanically inclined friend over to the house.
Nah its an intertia click from full stop to start. It's not too bad and I don't want to fix it. I already checked all bolts are torqued to spec, caliper, bracket, pads adn roaters are all new and replace correctly, end links are only 3 years old. Only that hasent been touched is strut tower and steering. Could be warn out bushings but screw replacing those. Rust is not your friend when your from Rochester NY but Subaru AWD is.

OP
OP

droosif

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Change it to a Base 4dr. soft top with the 2.3l, who knows, the Bronco gods may just shine down upon you.

BTW, That's what you get for buying a Subaru!! 🤣 🤣 Just messing with you, but I will say, my little Mustang v6 just passed 222k miles and still going strong. Luckily for me, with the way Ford is ignoring my reservation, I have a car that runs..... for now ;)

Now, on to your dilemma. It sounds like a judgement call on your part. If you are all in on the Bronco, well you wait it out and make do with what you have. If you're on the fence, wait it out til the Subaru blows up, hope for the best on your order. If you aren't all in, then look into whatever else is out there you like and fits your budget.
I'm worried that I wait it out and my dealer Fs me when the time comes. I'm new to the process but they aren't that communicative. I understand that in all likeliness there IS nothing to communicate but I don't know my priority #, DORA/VOC info, nothing besides I have a down payment and they promised me MSRP and reassured me they aren't allowed to sell it to anyone else.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since you only just recently ordered... maybe cancel and do the deal with Chapman of Horsham, PA. He has a lease deal that a lot of folks seem fond of.

Edit: he’s referred to as @DealerInsider on here

Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm worried that I wait it out and my dealer Fs me when the time comes. I'm new to the process but they aren't that communicative. I understand that in all likeliness there IS nothing to communicate but I don't know my priority #, DORA/VOC info, nothing besides I have a down payment and they promised me MSRP and reassured me they aren't allowed to sell it to anyone else.
But you said that you literally reserved & ordered a couple weeks ago. There really isn't any info for them to give you. You missed the cut off back in March or whenever the hell it was. You are pretty much guaranteed a MY22 or later... unless Ford's computers screw up and sneak you in.

You can always look for the dealer stock that we all know is coming, but expect most places to put some hefty ADM on them. You can also keep your eyes out to see if anyone abandons their order within close proximity and hope to get it for MSRP. But based on how many people are acting around here, and how I've heard from 1 dealer who said ADM, I don't you or I would be able to find an abandoned one for MSRP or better.

So without sounding like a jerk, your options really are to stick it out and hope for the best with your Subaru for now..... or find something else. Sadly, none of us can really give you a great answer to your question.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

reservation - 7/16/2021
order - 7/17/2021
@droosif Drew, with that res date, like others have said, you're not going to see that Bronco until late next year if you're lucky. I don't see pre owned prices staying as high as they are now. I expect them to start downward soon after the chip shortage is over. And, the problem with new cars is there is a supply and demand thing going on, and it's difficult to get a good deal on one right now. You're between that rock, and a hard place when it comes to this decision. I wish I had a solid answer to help, but I don't. If you're wanting something to get you out in the country maybe check out a new 4X4 Ranger that's on a dealers lot somewhere. I wouldn't try ordering one of those either as they are caught up in the chip shortage as the Bronco. Good luck sir.

BTW, ordering on 07/21 means you will need to re-order when the '22 order banks open on Sept. 13th. The '21 orders won't just move to '22. So, you may want to make sure your dealers knows this if you decide to hang onto your reservation for the Bronco.
Sponsored

Last edited: