Sponsored

Advice needed - What to do when current car blows up?

droosif

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey all. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I was wondering what others would do if they were in my situation. I currently have an 06 forester with 170k that's not doing so hot. I don't really go anywhere other than a couple miles a week with it (because I can't trust it). For longer distances I grab a relatives car. I just put $750 into it (should've been $250 but I snapped a ball joint pinch bolt which requires a new spindle). That was a couple months ago so its better than a car payment but something else is up with the tire rods/steering column and I don't know if I'm willing to fix it.

I ordered a Bronco Base, 2d, Carbonized, automatic, no other options. The MSRP is around 32.5k and its right at the top of what I'm willing to pay. I was initially looking at a used 2dr wrangler sport with some options that were the same as my Bronco but it was nearly the same price for a 2018 with 20k miles (w/ stupid 4 inch screen) as it would be to just buy a brand new 2dr Bronco. I test drove a 2dr OBX at my dealer July 17th (2021) and confirmed my reservation and moved it to an order the same day.

I don't know what to do if my car blows up before then. If its just a steering component for under $300 bite the bullet and keep waiting? Get something new and if so which one (Taco, JL/JLU, Bronco Sport). I don't want any of these cars more than the 2 door Base Bronco ordered (and they all cost more). I'm stuck. Hoping I can get some insight from people who are in my position or what'd they do if they were?

-Thanks
Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's hard to say as your budget does dictate what you can do. But, you are close to throwing good money after bad with that Forrester. What is your reservation date?

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When was your reservation? IMO at this point anything after July 2020 will be a Q3 22 or later.

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hey all. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I was wondering what others would do if they were in my situation. I currently have an 06 forester with 170k that's not doing so hot. I don't really go anywhere other than a couple miles a week with it (because I can't trust it). For longer distances I grab a relatives car. I just put $750 into it (should've been $250 but I snapped a ball joint pinch bolt which requires a new spindle). That was a couple months ago so its better than a car payment but something else is up with the tire rods/steering column and I don't know if I'm willing to fix it.

I ordered a Bronco Base, 2d, Carbonized, automatic, no other options. The MSRP is around 32.5k and its right at the top of what I'm willing to pay. I was initially looking at a used 2dr wrangler sport with some options that were the same as my Bronco but it was nearly the same price for a 2018 with 20k miles (w/ stupid 4 inch screen) as it would be to just buy a brand new 2dr Bronco. I test drove a 2dr OBX at my dealer July 17th (2021) and confirmed my reservation and moved it to an order the same day.

I don't know what to do if my car blows up before then. If its just a steering component for under $300 bite the bullet and keep waiting? Get something new and if so which one (Taco, JL/JLU, Bronco Sport). I don't want any of these cars more than the 2 door Base Bronco ordered (and they all cost more). I'm stuck. Hoping I can get some insight from people who are in my position or what'd they do if they were?

-Thanks
I was in a similar situation (due to rust issues that I couldn't fix myself) and went new Explorer.

OP
OP

droosif

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's hard to say as your budget does dictate what you can do. But, you are close to throwing good money after bad with that Forrester. What is your reservation date?
7/16/2021 - not good but my (useless) optimism is that I have an extremely base build.

Sponsored
OP
OP

droosif

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When was your reservation? IMO at this point anything after July 2020 will be a Q3 22 or later.
reservation - 7/16/2021
order - 7/17/2021

Last edited:

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

reservation - 7/16/2021
build - 7/17/2021
Wait. Are you saying you have a build date? If you do then just drive that forester until it simply refuses to move.

Edit: nvm, Just re-read you initial post
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Walk away without looking back?
Cool guys don't look at explosions

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
reservation - 7/16/2021
build - 7/17/2021
Well it's almost there, if it would ever leaves the factory lot.

Hopefully it ships soonish before it dies. I mean most of us are probably one jackass totaling our car away from being in a crappy spot.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah I mean with a 2D you’re not seeing that realistically until late next year. Get something else and the Bronco will get here when it gets here. Keep your res and order though as it doesn’t cost you anything unless your dealer ends up wanting a higher deposit than the $100 res fee.

Sponsored
OP
OP

droosif

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

sorry everyone, meant order date

OP
OP

droosif

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah I mean with a 2D you’re not seeing that realistically until late next year. Get something else and the Bronco will get here when it gets here. Keep your res and order though as it doesn’t cost you anything unless your dealer ends up wanting a higher deposit than the $100 res fee.
got $1000 down into it but I don't need that money back yet

OP
OP

droosif

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well it's almost there, if it would ever leaves the factory lot.

Hopefully it ships soonish before it dies. I mean most of us are probably one jackass totaling our car away from being in a crappy spot.
sorry meant order date, I'm definitely not that close haha

OP
OP

droosif

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

would you buy new for same price and hope the resale value holds at trade in like it does now? Seems like a risky play and I don't wanna pay sales tax twice on a 30k car purchase.