Sponsored

Is it needed to lock the Bronco when you walk away?

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will say this is one of the features that I really miss from my Mazda. I wish Ford had implemented it more like they did.

You walk away from the vehicle it locks the doors... You walk up to the vehicle and press the button on the handle and it unlocks.

With the Bronco, I don't like that you can't verify if the doors are locked when you press the button because if you grab the handle it unlocks. I find myself having to listen to hear if the locks engage.
On my Chevy it's even easier. So long as you have the fob on your person you just walk up and the doors unlock, walk away and they lock. Of course you can change that behavior if you wish. Next year that car celebrates a quarter century since I bought it.
Sponsored

JonDW29

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Definitely lock the doors. I even lock them as a habit when I have the top in various states of taken off. We get teens/twentys that come into my neighborhood from other areas, probably some locals too, that pick streets to check handles. Never slash anything or forcibly enter cars. Just take what's available because someone was too lazy of forgot to lock their door(s).

I'm all for convenience, but I'm also conditioned at this point so even if I had a feature that locked it as I walked away I'd still either be pressing the button on the handle and hearing the doors lock, or I'd be hitting the fob and doing the same. I grew up in the DC suburbs and went to school in Columbus OH (lost a $700 Alpine there), so this is just a habit for me at this point. Only takes one break in to change your attitude. At the end of the day, if someone really wants in they're gonna get in. Locks just keep the lesser threats at bay.

As far as confirming the doors are locked, if you have a four door the back handles don't auto-unlock if that helps. I just listen for the sound, or if I get too far away I'll do the honk. I just find that annoying so I try not to do it if I can remember.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe this??

IMG_7551.jpeg
Doesn't this 'auto lock' lock the vehicle doors at ~ 9 mph?

My BD isn't as fancy so I have to manually lock the doors using the key fob, interior door lock switch or hitting the right two buttons on the external keypad simultaneously (I did get that option).

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you tap on the "i" next to the toggles for more info, none of those appear to address what the original poster is describing - as in automatically locking the vehicle.
While driving. I can think of no reason I need locks on when I am in motion.

That's the stupid I'm going to lock myself once I get up to 5-8 miles per hour "feature".

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

That's the stupid I'm going to lock myself once I get up to 5-8 miles per hour "feature".
If you have kids I can see the need, there is child safety lock switch but unless there locked already it wouldn’t keep the doors from opening. I never noticed if mine lock when I start driving I might need to turn that on.

Sponsored

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hitting the door handle button is a mess. Sometimes I hear the door lock, but often the lights blink to show it recognizes contact but the doors don’t lock )or at least it doesn’t sound like locking).

I end up having to hit the door handle button multiple times before hearing the lock sound. PitA. My Acura worked first time every time.

JonDW29

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hitting the door handle button is a mess. Sometimes I hear the door lock, but often the lights blink to show it recognizes contact but the doors don’t lock )or at least it doesn’t sound like locking).

I end up having to hit the door handle button multiple times before hearing the lock sound. PitA. My Acura worked first time every time.
That would drive me nuts. I've had no such issues with mine. Gonna go find some wood to knock on.

Neverowneda4x4

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. On Reddit someone asked for the passenger window part number because it was shattered and in the past their rear window was cut out twice. They asked if broncos are generally more susceptible to theft and vandalism. I was surprised in reading further in the thread, that this took place in Texas.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base

Carjacking. Know it's a long shot, but it is out there...

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the Bronco, I don't like that you can't verify if the doors are locked when you press the button because if you grab the handle it unlocks. I find myself having to listen to hear if the locks engage.
If you have a 4-door you can, just try the rear door. I get out, shut my door, hit the button on the handle and hear it lock, then I try the rear door to make sure ;)

If you have a 2 door then you just have to settle with being far superior to us 4-doors (or so I understand from this forum) ;)

Sponsored

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As others stated, doors do not auto lock. However, my understanding is that locking the doors via the fob also puts the Bronco into "sleep mode" faster so you are not getting as much draw on your battery.
@vrtical , obviously your doors would lock in your spare bedroom. You can also use the window roll down feature from your fob in case the room is getting hot.

n0xlf

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's partially meant to keep the doors from opening in the event of a crash (and thus keep you from exiting if not restrained) and also keep foreign objects from entering the passenger compartment. In vehicles with a door full frame it also strengthens the roof.

Then there is the car jacking issue which was already mentioned and keeping kids inside if the doors don't automatically unlock when you pull the handle (can't remember if they do).

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Car jacking...

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So basically, it sounds like the only time I need to reach in mu pocket and use my fob is when I park and get out. I have my MIC/doors off for most of the summer. Is there anything else that might come into play besides sleep mode timing when you do not hit the lock button with the top/doors off? Kind of nice to just throw it in park and walk away without having to hit anything when the doors are off. If there is a passive alarm that might arm or anything else that comes with lux package, etc. that anyone knows about, let me know.

wrangal

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Chief Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

They don't automatically lock.
It remotely locks the doors and tailgate.
If you have a soft top don't bother locking it they will just cut the roof to steal stuff.
I had someone try to steal the soft top off my Jeep at the grocery store. I only needed a couple of items and when I came out too quick I interrupted them and they ran off. Unbelieveable what people will do.
Sponsored