Sponsored

When is an engine block heater really needed?

Byrdeaux

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Eruption Green Wildtrak, F150, GX460,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm from the south, so engine block heaters are new to me. I had the option to purchase a Wildtrak with a heater, but I didn't. Now, I'm heading to Taos, NM for a ski trip where the temperature will be 0 degrees. What is the guideline for when you need or should use a heater?
Sponsored

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At a minimum, I would do an oil change before going. You want 0W-30, which will flow better in the colder weather (edit) and higher altitude (above 7500 feet), You will probably be around 9000 feet.

Ford recommends engine heaters when the temperature is consistently below -15C (23F). Remember to add for wind chill and engine bay humidity (engine frost) to determine the real temperature when starting up.

The block heater keeps your oil warm and allows it flow immediately in very cold conditions when your engine is first started. Heating the block helps keep oil passages clear from frozen moisture or oil droplets. You need a 120V outlet to plug into for about 2 hours before you drive away. No outlet, no heat.

Will your car start in 0 degrees - highly likely. Can you damage it quickly by not having good oil flow. Almost certainly. Starving the cylinder walls, push rods, bearings, etc. of oil accelerates engine wear rapidly.

The dealer (or you) can add the heater in about an hour. They cost around $100.

I suggest taking an outlet (3-prong) timer with you. Set it for 2-3 hours before you are going to leave. A lot easier than running outside earlier in the morning.

Last edited:

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I start plugging in mine if it -20 or so. With that said most employees were I work never plug in their cars. I would never get a block heater if I lived in the South and made occasional trips to cold destinations.

Sponsored

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At a minimum, I would do an oil change before going. You want 0W-30, which will flow better in the colder weather (edit) and higher altitude (above 7500 feet), You will probably be around 9000 feet.

Ford recommends engine heaters when the temperature is consistently below -15C (23F). Remember to add for wind chill and engine bay humidity (engine frost) to determine the real temperature when starting up.

The block heater keeps your oil warm and allows it flow immediately in very cold conditions when your engine is first started. Heating the block helps keep oil passages clear from frozen moisture or oil droplets. You need a 120V outlet to plug into for about 2 hours before you drive away. No outlet, no heat.

Will your car start in 0 degrees - highly likely. Can you damage it quickly by not having good oil flow. Almost certainly. Starving the cylinder walls, push rods, bearings, etc. of oil accelerates engine wear rapidly.

The dealer (or you) can add the heater in about an hour. They cost around $100.

I suggest taking an outlet (3-prong) timer with you. Set it for 2-3 hours before you are going to leave. A lot easier than running outside earlier in the morning.
Windchill has no effect on an engine. Only the outside ambient temperature matters.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unless you live in the upper mid- west or extreme northern state you don't need an engine block heater. I had never really thought about engine block heaters- and never bought a new car with one- or saw it listed as an option when I lived most of my life in rural Massachusetts. It would get gown to 0 or minus 5 degrees F when it was the coldest. So, never a worry. Then I moved to MN for 2 years. Where the temperature does get down to minus 30 or 40. I did not believe it when the guys I was working with told me that when I first moved there- I thought they were joking LOL. Well it really did get down to minus 30 or 40 a few times- that's really cold BTW if you have not experienced it. Have to so bundle up, even your face. It makes 0 feel warm, LOL. Anyway the new cars at the dealership most had engine block heaters as an option- I quickly knew why. I had an older Honda Civic for a while when I lived there and I kept it outside. I had to put an engine block heater in it so the block would not crack. Was interesting when it was plugged in- going outside when it was minus 40, open the hood and the radiator hoses were warm. Car started easy and instant heat too, was super nice.

Last edited:

Sven

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Bronco,75 F250 CS,88 M35a2c,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No worries at 0. -30 is a different story. @Sven might be more helpful...
I do not have an engine heater on mine. We see -30 to -50 where I am and have zero issues starting today's engines. The only thing I have a block heater on is my diesel.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Block heaters are for Diesels â›˝

Yeah, and ambient temps below 0 F. Unless you live in Frostbite Falls I would not waste money on a block heater for a gasoline engine despite what Ford might say 23° F is balmy.

By the way, a block heater only warms engine oil because it is hearing your coolant system initially. Block heaters are installed in water passages. (Unless you buy a magnetic external heater that will only stick to a steel oil pan)

Sponsored

Wildruby

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where I live it sometimes gets to -30, but will only stay for a few days. I have never used a heater (except for my diesel). Now that being said at those temps machinery hates it. Would it be better to plug in, yup! Will you start yup.

RobWTX

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think you'll want heated seats instead!

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For me, if it's single digits or below and the rig is outside it gets plugged in. Plugging in really only helps with the initial cold start up. As others have stated it helps the oil flow. If you are in an area that has sustained minus temps you will want to add a battery blanket and water circulator.

timrobporter

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Raptor; 2023 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I start plugging in mine if it -20 or so. With that said most employees were I work never plug in their cars. I would never get a block heater if I lived in the South and made occasional trips to cold destinations.
How does it plug in? I have one but forgot to ask my dealer how it works.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Windchill has no effect on an engine. Only the outside ambient temperature matters.
Windchill could affect the cooling rate of a warm radiator and block. Once the coolant is at ambient temperature, the wind chill effect is nil as you state.
Sponsored