Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I questioned whether or not I would need it and decided probably not, but I know I would use it if i had it. So, I ultimately decided to get it. It's not very expensive and I plan to keep the Bronco until I run it into the ground so it's just one less thing I will have to add if I ever do need it. The only time you "have to" use it is below 5 degrees Fahrenheit (-15 C) and even then, you will be fine unless it is much, much colder. It just helps reduce wear and tear on cold starts.
i have a diesel VW Jetta and an F350 PowerStroke. Both are parked outside throughout the winter in New Hampshire. Both start fine at temps below -15°F. With the right oil for expected winter temperatures a block heater is only of significant value with temps below -20°F.
Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here in MN I’ll use it. $100 installed, not even a blip compared to the big picture.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

$100 seems pretty cheap to me. I had one in a VW I had and would have instant heat to defrost the windows. It’s a decent option with the manual since remote start isn’t much of an option. I don’t think it’s really for warming up the block for easier starting, that doesn’t seem to be much of an issue now a days
Just so no one gets confused here.

A block heater won't always get you "instant heat." It will only warm your coolant ~50degrees above the ambient temperature.

It's not like warm, cozy, air comes through your vents immediately no matter the temperature. You still need that warmer coolant, and the cold oil, to warm up.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i have a diesel VW Jetta and an F350 PowerStroke. Both are parked outside throughout the winter in New Hampshire. Both start fine at temps below -15°F. With the right oil for expected winter temperatures a block heater is only of significant value with temps below -20°F.
Like I said, you don’t really need to use it unless it is extremely cold, but if you have one, it will reduce wear and tear on cold starts below 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

It does get below -20 at times in Michigan, and below 5 for a week or so just about every year. I’m getting it because I know I’ll use it during those times. Also, my Jeep has started just fine in -25 degree weather and colder (-40 with windchill), but it doesn’t mean that it was good for the engine long term.

Do I need it? No. Will I use it? Yes. Will it help with engine longevity? Yes.

If I use it five times a year, for the next five years (the minimum amount of time this will be my sole daily driver), it’s less than $5 per use. It’s really not a big deal in the grand scheme.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Avoid $100 on a block heater, but spend thousands on locking diffs, sway bar disconnects and other components many owners won't use much if at all either. Makes sense, lol.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sooo I’m confused. Does this heat the oil in the sump, or the coolant in the radiator? I always thought they heated the engine oil. Never heard of anyone ever using one for gas in Mass.

If it DOES heat coolant up that much ao you have heat I actually may add it myself and use it.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Used these 4 months out of the year almost daily in Alaska. Moved to Colorado and skipped it on my new order. First time in so many decades of not plugging in!

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It heats the coolant, which warms the engine. Oil heaters do a terrible job of transferring heat to the engine, although the oil will flow nicely when started.

Sponsored

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 6.0’s loved the block heater, and when I had them plugged in I never had a frosty windshield. Was pretty nice.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I see 2.3L block heaters run anywhere between $50 and $113...to have one installed (and ostensibly warranted) for a mere $100 is a no-brainer to me. Whether or not it's truly needed will be endlessly debatable, but given my Bronco will be living outdoors 24-7-365, and through some likely frigid Michigan winters, I'm more than fine with ticking the option box.

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm getting a manual, so remote start is out of the question for me. On cold, below freezing days, the block heater will make that wait to defrost the windows and warm up the vehicle just a little more comfortable, so that's why I'm getting it.

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I live in AK and try to plug in when it’s going to below 20 degrees. My truck warms up easier, and I believe it’s easier on your engine on start up with warm oil. Hopefully I will be parking in my garage now that we will have two smaller daily drivers.
Sponsored