Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Long time reader, first time poster.

I put a reservation in on a base 2 door Bronco in June of this year, dealer in SC told me they weren't going to process my order since there was virtually no chance I would receive it (which is sort of maddening after reading people with similar builds and reservation times getting their broncos scheduled). They're not a large ford dealer, but I wouldn't consider them a "rural" dealer either. Anyway, when I made the reservation the sales rep specifically told me that the Bronco would be MSRP, which I was fine with paying considering that some dealers had been marking up significantly and the other information I had read on this forum.

Well, fast forward to 2022 orders opening up and I get the email to go online and place the order. Well, I build my bronco out and see the price of what my build would be hadn't increased significantly in the "MSRP starting from" column. Well, I see on the finalize order part of the screen that the "difference from MSRP" portion lists "$3,725" and that the final price dealer selling price is that much higher. I was hoping for it to be an error. I receive a call from the sales rep later that day and address it with her and she tells me that "well, we're supposed to be marking them up by $3,725, but I'm only going to do MSRP plus $1,000 for you." I say okay, I'm a non-confrontational person and didn't really feel like getting into with her. She has been extremely nice and helpful other than wanting to charge me more money.

Basically, the advice I'm looking for is this: Should I ask them to honor what they told me previously, or just eat the $1,000? To some, it may seem like not a ton of money considering how much their dealers are marking up, but I'm a recent college grad and it honestly makes a difference to me. I also really couldn't ever rationalize paying MSRP for a vehicle and it just pushes me really close to the edge to pay MSRP + anything for a vehicle.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored

babraunagel

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tell them you'll change dealers if they don't honor the original price. They're already 'making bank' at MSRP. Get the agreement in writing.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it is dealers seeing what they can get away with. If you agree then the dealer just made and extra $1k with no hassle. Every car deal is a unique price negotiation with the dealer holding most of the cards.

I would push for MSRP and if they don't budge then shop around other dealers with your potential order in the meanwhile. If you agree to $1k ADM then you're stuck with that deal even when you get your Bronco 11 months from now and the market cooled off considerably.

Dewreckingcrew

Badlands
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 3.5 Boost and 2009 6.4 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well , you’re going to have to get a little confrontational. You need to explain to them that in June they told you MSRP and you specifically chose to do business with them over numerous other dealerships because of that statement. Tell them there are consumer laws that protect against this kind of stuff. Of course, and documentation you have would help you immensely. If that doesn’t work, ask for the GM, if they are no help ask the GM for the contact info of Area Ford Representative.

OtisFE

Outer Banks
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you were trying to order a 2-door in June you definitely were never getting a 2021.
If you don’t like your dealers price shop around for a better one.
If you can’t find a better price, place your order and get a purchase agreement signed by both parties.

Sponsored
OP
OP

SCBigfoot

Base
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the replies so far, it just feels like a slap in the face. I specifically chose this dealer because of them being known as a super reputable dealer that had been around for a long time. I understand dealers are struggling to an extent but I just cannot rationalize paying over MSRP for a car.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
DON’T order on line. Order the Bronco in person. If current dealer wants over sticker, then go see other dealers and ask them what they want to charge for an already established reservation, which you will change to them if they are under or at sticker.

OP
OP

SCBigfoot

Base
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
And, this may be a stupid question, but you can change where your reservation is held at correct? Feel like I read that the other day but when I was considering moving my reservation after not being allowed to at least place the order I was told I had to cancel it and start over by a different dealer.

babraunagel

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And, this may be a stupid question, but you can change where your reservation is held at correct? Feel like I read that the other day but when I was considering moving my reservation after not being allowed to at least place the order I was told I had to cancel it and start over by a different dealer.
Yes, you can change.

BroncoDude

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 3.5EB, 2021 2DR Base 2.7L Auto
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tell them you would like to adjust the price as well. MSRP minus $3275, but for them you will only deduct $1000.

Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

By the time reservations made that late start getting delivered we will be in a very different place than we are now. Hopefully the ADM problems will be resolved by then and hopefully the car market in general will be better so people can walk away to a different company.

I have a 9/18 2 door reservation and no expectation of a '22.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford did allow reservations to be changed between dealers but I think the reservation swapping ended as of March 19th. Either way you would have to go through Ford customer service to change a reservation.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Technically you do not have an order at this point. I'd switch dealers. You had to have an order by 3/19 to get price protection. Contact Ford once you have chosen a new dealer...

mmorgan

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC JImmy
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Definitely go back to dealer and request they honor the MSRP and get total cost in writing and signed. Sometimes you just have to be firm. If they refuse, look for another dealer that offers what you need in writing. Then move the order.
As a last resort just cancel your order. With a June order you have little to loose. There will be dealer stock everywhere by the time you get your order from a small dealer.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
She said it like that so you would feel like you are getting a deal. They are expecting you to not be confrontational and just accept.

I have said this many times but most dealerships are adding ADM as a "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" approach. A polite but Stern pushback should get it dropped. And if not, change dealerships.

Oh, and get a signed by both parties purchase agreement.
Sponsored