First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been filming my install, it might take a year to edit but I finally got my wires up to the firewall. I'm going to keep the fuses near the pedals and extend the wires to connect. In hindsight I don't think I'd use the Expedition Essentials harness again.

Also, depending on model/engine/transmission the firewall pass-through will be different. I cut into the blank where the main wiring goes through.
curious why you wouldn't use the harness. I have one on order and should be delivered hopefully in time to attempt a weekend install.
Sponsored

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ, BMW Z4, Mini Clubman JCW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

curious why you wouldn't use the harness. I have one on order and should be delivered hopefully in time to attempt a weekend install.
Is it the size of the harness when routing or something else that makes you think you wouldn't use it again?
The routing hasn't been bad, the only spot it potentially could be "too large" is the area where it crosses over the wheel well into the floor board at the left passenger side. Overall I ran mine passenger cargo, across to driver side all the way to the dash. The harness is too short as well. I've got the junction between the Exp Ess harness and the ARB where the drivers seatbelt is. That's without pulling apart the harness.

If Exp Essentials could extend the harness 4' it would be perfect. Actually tonight I might look at just running it completely on the passenger side rather than crossing over at the rear seats.

Thart89

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The routing hasn't been bad, the only spot it potentially could be "too large" is the area where it crosses over the wheel well into the floor board at the left passenger side. Overall I ran mine passenger cargo, across to driver side all the way to the dash. The harness is too short as well. I've got the junction between the Exp Ess harness and the ARB where the drivers seatbelt is. That's without pulling apart the harness.

If Exp Essentials could extend the harness 4' it would be perfect. Actually tonight I might look at just running it completely on the passenger side rather than crossing over at the rear seats.
Thanks for the response. That's pretty disappointing since the entire reason I purchased the harness was to not have to extend anything else. Idk why I envisioned 17ft being too long. Had I known I would have asked for it to be a bit longer. I believe they are made to order so I'm sure they would extend it some.

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You'd still have to get it through the firewall. If you go through the passenger side you may be able to avoid this. Ideally (driver side install) it would have an extra 4-5' on it and the connectors would be left off to easily feed through, then install the connector, attach to the ARB harness and wire to your battery.

Sorry @Jo8n for hijacking part of this.

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry @Jo8n for hijacking part of this.
No worries! It's all about figuring out the best way and I'm pretty sure I already hijacked your thread with my pre-install questions.

Thanks for all the insight!

Sponsored

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Currently running the wire, pretty tight at the tailgate accessory plate, but it fits, running it the way they said in the video.

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the response. That's pretty disappointing since the entire reason I purchased the harness was to not have to extend anything else. Idk why I envisioned 17ft being too long. Had I known I would have asked for it to be a bit longer. I believe they are made to order so I'm sure they would extend it some.
Re-ran it today on the passenger side. You'll run out of the ExEs harness right at the firewall.

Nothing against AGS but it doesn't even seem like theirs is hooked up. They give ZERO info on cabling and haven't shown it in use. I can't complain though, I'm not even using their stuff.

Last edited:

Thart89

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Re-ran it today on the passenger side. You'll run out of the ExEs harness right at the firewall.

Nothing against AGS but it doesn't even seem like theirs is hooked up. They give ZERO info on cabling and haven't shown it in use. I can't complain though, I'm not even using their stuff.
Thanks for the update. I think AGS extended their own wires and didn't use an aftermarket harness extension. Their customer service has been great so far though so I'm sure they will standby their mounting setup if needed. Bummer about the harness though. I message Expedition to see if they can build one a few feet longer than 17ft. How much you think is needed? 20ft? 25ft?

AGSOFFROAD

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
agsoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks to @Jo8n for the thread and great install pictures!

We understand the wiring portion of this install can be intimidating and there are a lot of questions regarding this, so I will try to address the concerns.

There is no right or wrong way to wire the compressor. There are a hundred different ways to route and connect the wires, and everybody’s standards of fit/finish are different- this is why we don’t supply exact details. As we have always said, the wiring is up to the installer. We give basic recommendations as guidelines.

The cheapest and most effective way to wire an ARB compressor to the tailgate is to use your own wire and extend the factory harness- this allows easier routing under/behind trim panels, and does away with the big connectors.

We recommend the Expedition Essentials harness for the ones who are not comfortable extending the harness themselves- more of a foolproof wiring. One of our test vehicles (4-door) has the EE extension harness installed.

The EE harness may need to be extended slightly under the hood depending on exact routing. We prefer (2) 40 amp circuit breakers over the 40 amp fuses provided by ARB. Swapping the fuses for circuit breakers makes it easy to use longer wire from the breakers to the battery. If not using breakers and using the harness as is, a short extension may be needed to reach the battery.

All wires of the ARB pigtail are routed through the firewall grommet (shown in @Jo8n’s pictures), and under drivers side door sill plate, and behind the B-pillar trim (driver’s seatbelt). This is where we connect the EE extension harness. There is enough room behind this panel for both connectors.

The extension harness continues under the left rear door sill plate, behind the rear seats under the crossover trim panel, behind the right side cargo area panel, through the factory wire loom to the tailgate, behind the tailgate trim panel, and out the Tailgate Pass-Through as shown in our installation video. This is where the other end of the EE extension harness plugs into the compressor. Using this method, there is enough length to connect the compressor.

I hope this helps.

If there are any other question/concerns you can reach us at [email protected]

-AGS Off-Road

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the update. I think AGS extended their own wires and didn't use an aftermarket harness extension. Their customer service has been great so far though so I'm sure they will standby their mounting setup if needed. Bummer about the harness though. I message Expedition to see if they can build one a few feet longer than 17ft. How much you think is needed? 20ft? 25ft?
I bought 50 feet of the red and black wire and needed two runs of the red wire so I can tell you it was less than 25 feet per wire for me. I definitely trimmed a bit and still left some service loops before and after the firewall and in passenger cargo panel.

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What size fuse are you running? Wire looks a little small for that distance.?
I am using the two fuses that came with the original ARB harness. Wanna say they were 40 amp but not even sure where I saw that. The extension wire was 8 gauge which looked a little bigger than the positives but on par with the negative wire. The ARB instructions suggested 8-10 when extending if memory serves.

Do you think the run is so long it should be heavier?

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would give it a dry run in the driveway, I toasted a 80 amp fuse with my china/dual pump on the 3rd tire. I am looking at running some 1/0 to the back and putting in a distribution block.
I was able to inflate from 25 to 35 after a trail run the other day but now I'm a little worried.

AGSOFFROAD

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
agsoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was able to inflate from 25 to 35 after a trail run the other day but now I'm a little worried.
The ARB Twin comes with 2 40a fuses, one fuse for each compressor. We prefer to use 40a circuit breakers, but the circuit protection is the same.

I don’t know how @Snacktime had his fuse wired, but their fuse blowing likely was because of using a knockoff compressor.

We have run several extensive tests with no fuse blowing/ breaker tripping.
Sponsored