MsPickles

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone seen tiny air bubbles out out oil filter housing where the housing meets the engine block?
Attached a couple pics and a video of it happening.
I had just changed the oil. Filter went on fine with new o-rings. torked down to the 18flb. The engine was cold, since I did it first thing this morning, so ran it just long enough to turn the vehicle around, since didn't want hot oil on me, so 70 degree engine or so.
I noticed the bubbles while looking for any leaks after the oil change and never seen this before, but my first with this type of oil filter. I circled the spot to watch on the video in the picture. About 8 seconds in, air small bubbles will happen.
The engine was starting to get warm by then, maybe 100 degrees when I turned it off. But the bubbles did NOT stop. They persisted for a couple minutes. I was confused at that point, since there is no oil pressure. The bubbles did stop after a few minutes. So I started it again and must have been idling for 15 minutes getting to temperature. The bubbles started again. I'm looking, at all sides, but no oil leaking. Hanging over the engine like I haven't done before, since it's so tall. lol
I said at that point, test drive. No dummy light on (I so wish they included an oil pressure gauge) , oil is full on stick. So went out for a few minutes, getting it up to temperature, temp stopped rising at 189, so that was max at that point for a cool morning. Looked again, and no bubbles, no leaking oil. Let it idle for another 15 minutes, and the temp dropped down to 185, so it was at it's hottest at 189.
I posted a 3rd picture of what I think was happening (the picture of the housing and oil filter., circled red part. This small gap between the top o-ring and the part that meets the engine block, there is air in there, since the o-rings blocks the oil beneath it from coming up and out. I figure that as the engine heated, the tinest bit of oil between the plastic housing and block, was bubbling as the air in the small gap heated up with the engine temperature and escaped. Like spraying soapy water on a tire looking for a leak, tiny bubbles. That's the the only thing that makes sense, why the bubbling continued the first time I seen it, and after I had shut the engine off.
I'll keep a watch on it over the miles. I always get these weird occurrences happening to me. lol

Untitled.jpg

51xmDXFjCfL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As long as there is not oil leaking out, you’re good to go. Might have been expanding air trapped between the two O-Rings.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the air was coming from the external side of the o-rings then you're okay. If it's coming from the internal side then you have issues.

I would just keep an eye to see if you have any oil seepage.
Sponsored