Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any of you lucky new 2.7 owners try and access your oil filter yet?

Last I saw there was still some question about how easy it was to access for oil changes.
Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it's like the F150 2.7 the oil filter is a cartridge filter on top of the engine super easy to get to.

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pic of 2.7L from Bronco showing Springfield Mo.
Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Filter access 20210419_151130
Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Filter access 20210419_144844

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it's like the F150 2.7 the oil filter is a cartridge filter on top of the engine super easy to get to.
Just about everything I've seen this far was along those same lines of "if it's like X vehicle then".
Now that we've got some actual owners, I figured we could get some first-hand experiences of exactly how easy oil changes will be.

From those photos, it seems like the filter should be easy enough - though I am curious how easy it is to get the factory-installed filter loosened the first time.

Doubt anyone has actually changed the oil yet, but hopefully we can get some notes on that if there's any unexpected surprises.

Reactions: RG7

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
At least they paired the materials used to make the oil pan and filter housing.

I'd rather just have a metal filter canister that is destroyed with removal than these "lifetime" plastic components. But then again, modern cars provide nearly 100% fault free operation until the warranty expires, so they are engineered (to fail) very well.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
don’t worry. It is the easiest filter to remove. If you want to worry then worry about the plastic drain plug and what happens when you remove it.

here’s the video for the 2.7 on the f150

Just about everything I've seen this far was along those same lines of "if it's like X vehicle then".
Now that we've got some actual owners, I figured we could get some first-hand experiences of exactly how easy oil changes will be.

From those photos, it seems like the filter should be easy enough - though I am curious how easy it is to get the factory-installed filter loosened the first time.

Doubt anyone has actually changed the oil yet, but hopefully we can get some notes on that if there's any unexpected surprises.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Are you sure there is an engine in there? :)
I normally like to detail my engine bays every so often and it just hit me what a pain in the arse it is going to be to keep that engine bay clean.

WarringEagle

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The hardest part of changing the filter is replacing the one small oring everytime on the plastic stalk. The plastic drain plug uses an ORing and is just a quarter turn to lock in place. While the drain plug oring may one day need replacing after 80k+ miles in the f150 It looks newish.

Sponsored

malt_liqueur

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ok. I looked at that and wondered but I'm still so used to the oil filter being a painted metal canister I ruled it out since it looked like casing for something. Thanks!

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ok. I looked at that and wondered but I'm still so used to the oil filter being a painted metal canister I ruled it out since it looked like casing for something. Thanks!
Yeah it was odd to odd to me at first as well in his challenger. But because it is just a paper cartridge you replace I guess plastic is a better material for it.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

At least they paired the materials used to make the oil pan and filter housing.

I'd rather just have a metal filter canister that is destroyed with removal than these "lifetime" plastic components. But then again, modern cars provide nearly 100% fault free operation until the warranty expires, so they are engineered (to fail) very well.
the plastic cannister with a replaceable element is actually pretty nice to use. usually it is simply a socket and ratchet or a crescent wrench needed for removal. a new filter element and o ring come with the replacement filter. it is also easy to inspect the elements for metal. no more cutting open the filter can.

i have owned a couple of porsches and my current fiat 124 with this filter system. these things don't get stuck like metal ones, which sometimes deform while trying to remove.
Sponsored