First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As someone who does his own maintenance, I was a bit underwhelmed at the side access past my 35x12.50's. Sure, you can crank the wheel and reach in there, and there's kinda enough room to wiggle past the brake lines if you use your left hand... But why? 🤦🏻‍♂️

So I took a trip to the Amazon jungle and found the needed stuffs, then went out in the shop and whipped up a mounting bracket that slipped into the rear crash bar sleeve. Drilled the needed hole to retain it with a 1/4-20 bolt, and whipped up the two -10 hoses.

Voila! No more trouble changing filters. 😎

Ford Bronco Oil filter relocation completed PXL_20220729_215218135

Ford Bronco Oil filter relocation completed PXL_20220729_215203331
Ford Bronco Oil filter relocation completed PXL_20220729_215150257

I did make one change after these pics were taken. I moved the filter base down on the bracket so the 45° AN fittings weren't so close to the firewall. The filter is still tucked nicely above the bottom plane of the frame out of harms way.

I also debated mounting the filter horizontally (like on the engine) so cracking the seal dumps the oil down, but I've taken a liking to stabbing the bottom of my filters first, and that resolves the oil cascading around the cannisters when you spin them off, and vertical mounting allows pre-filling the filter.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice! Hard to tell how long those lines are... how much more oil do you have to put into your vehicle?

My buddy did something similar on his highly-modified 2.3L Ford Ranger. Thought about copying him, BUT... since I do a wheel rotation during most oil changes anyway, it's pretty easy just to get at the filter once the wheel is off.

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice! Hard to tell how long those lines are... how much more oil do you have to put into your vehicle?

My buddy did something similar on his highly-modified 2.3L Ford Ranger. Thought about copying him, BUT... since I do a wheel rotation during most oil changes anyway, it's pretty easy just to get at the filter once the wheel is off.
It's about 18" or so. The filter is within an inch or 2 of where the trough emptied behind the wheel.

It doesn't change the oil volume more than a few ounces.

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Very nice. I do the entire job from underneath instead of reaching through the wheel well.
I do the whole thing from the ground now. I don't have a hoist.

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I appreciate the ingenuity involved but there is no way I would risk the warranty of my engine by doing something similar. Any failure related to engine lubrication normally covered under warranty will be immediately denied.

Not worth the risk IMHO.

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I appreciate the ingenuity involved but there is no way I would risk the warranty of my engine by doing something similar. Any failure related to engine lubrication normally covered under warranty will be immediately denied.

Not worth the risk IMHO.
If the engine blows up and they don't cover it, I get to put in a 3.5L. 😁

Probably get better gas mileage too. 🙄

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just an update at 23,500mi

Engine blew.

Just kidding! 🤣

Still leak free and hasn't had any issues.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who does his own maintenance, I was a bit underwhelmed at the side access past my 35x12.50's. Sure, you can crank the wheel and reach in there, and there's kinda enough room to wiggle past the brake lines if you use your left hand... But why? 🤦🏻‍♂️

So I took a trip to the Amazon jungle and found the needed stuffs, then went out in the shop and whipped up a mounting bracket that slipped into the rear crash bar sleeve. Drilled the needed hole to retain it with a 1/4-20 bolt, and whipped up the two -10 hoses.

Voila! No more trouble changing filters. 😎

I did make one change after these pics were taken. I moved the filter base down on the bracket so the 45° AN fittings weren't so close to the firewall. The filter is still tucked nicely above the bottom plane of the frame out of harms way.

I also debated mounting the filter horizontally (like on the engine) so cracking the seal dumps the oil down, but I've taken a liking to stabbing the bottom of my filters first, and that resolves the oil cascading around the cannisters when you spin them off, and vertical mounting allows pre-filling the filter.
Cool!
Ever think about upgrading that itty bitty FL-910s, perhaps with an FL-400, or something bigger?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Cool!
Ever think about upgrading that itty bitty FL-910s, perhaps with an FL-400, or something bigger?
I bought a case of the stock filters when I bought the truck. Anything that'll fit on the filter mount could theoretically be used. You'd just need to mount it such that it's not vulnerable to trail damage.

The beauty of DIY is you can choose any filter mount your heart desires.

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
what parts did you use? what to look out for when looking for parts?

thanks
Derale 35703 Premium Engine... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XOQKV2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Remember, you need 4 of these guys:
EVIL ENERGY 10AN Flare to 10AN... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0811T2L8W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Derale 25708 Remote Filter Mount Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XOPZV8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

EVIL ENERGY 10AN PTFE Fuel Line Fitting Kit,E85 Stainless Steel Braided Fuel Hose 10FT(1/2Inch ID) https://a.co/d/1RX63mA

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a case of the stock filters when I bought the truck. Anything that'll fit on the filter mount could theoretically be used. You'd just need to mount it such that it's not vulnerable to trail damage.

The beauty of DIY is you can choose any filter mount your heart desires.
I did an oil filter relocation when I upgraded the 351W in my 1985 F-250 to 466 Big Block Wholesomeness, along with a B&M oil cooler.
One of the smarter thangs I've ever did...

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Derale 35703 Premium Engine... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XOQKV2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Remember, you need 4 of these guys:
EVIL ENERGY 10AN Flare to 10AN... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0811T2L8W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Derale 25708 Remote Filter Mount Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XOPZV8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

EVIL ENERGY 10AN PTFE Fuel Line Fitting Kit,E85 Stainless Steel Braided Fuel Hose 10FT(1/2Inch ID) https://a.co/d/1RX63mA
I have the 2.7L in my Bronco, so it's a cartridge filter. But...on my Mustang GT, it's a giant pain to get to the filter and it spills oil everywhere. The filter relocation kit from MMR is almost $300. Looks like I could DIY it for a lot less than that, based on these parts.

JR

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd pay Ford pricing and labor if I could get a dealer-installed kit that would be warranty-friendly
Sponsored