Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm trying to understand duty cycles properly.

For a basic example I was comparing the Viair 400P to the Viair 450P. The 400P has more CFM but only a 33% @ 100 PSI duty cycle, while the 450P has a 100% @ 100 PSI duty cycle. Based on what I've read, this means that when it is pushing 100 PSI of pressure, the 400P would have a duty cycle of 20/40m and the 450P would have a duty cycle of 60/0m.

My question is, how do I know what PSI the compressor is pushing to understand what the effective duty cycle is? If I'm airing my stock 35" tires from 15 to 35 PSI, is it as simple as it being the current PSI of the tire?
Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Depends on what the compressor pressure is set at. If there isn’t a regulator I would assume the pumps put out 100 psi self regulated.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm trying to understand duty cycles properly.

For a basic example I was comparing the Viair 400P to the Viair 450P. The 400P has more CFM but only a 33% @ 100 PSI duty cycle, while the 450P has a 100% @ 100 PSI duty cycle. Based on what I've read, this means that when it is pushing 100 PSI of pressure, the 400P would have a duty cycle of 20/40m and the 450P would have a duty cycle of 60/0m.

My question is, how do I know what PSI the compressor is pushing to understand what the effective duty cycle is? If I'm airing my stock 35" tires from 15 to 35 PSI, is it as simple as it being the current PSI of the tire?
I can only speak for ARB's duty cycles since I know more about ARB then ViAIR.

For example, the ARB Twin has a 100% duty cycle. Now, what's that mean? That means that it can run for 60 minutes.

The ARB Single is 50% duty cycle, so 30 minutes.

Do all companies use the same "duty cycle" well I don't know 100% for sure but I'd like to think it's a common parameter between brands.

With that said the 400P has a duty cycle of only 33% actually. It needs to cool down between tires, and that's even stated n the 400P manual.

The 450P has a 100% duty cycle at 100PSI. Which means for an hour you get 100PSI.

So the 450P pushes 100PSI for 1 hour
The 400P pushes 100PSI but only for 20 minutes

So you can get about 2 tires done with a 400P before you SHOULD take a rest. What happens if you don't? I'll be honest, it'll still air your tires up but that compressor is now getting SO HOT it's going to start to break down. I've pushed my own 400P to the limits. It still works, but the base is COMPLETELY melted away because I never let it cool down.

We stock the 400P at our shop, along with the ARB compressors. We stock the 400P and the 40P-Automatic.

OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks guys.

Based on those replies I am leaning towards a 450P. I understand it will be a bit slower to fill, but sounds like it will run cooler and will have no problem with the factory 35" tires.

I like how the Viair kits include the tool to deflate/inflate. I understand the included gauge can be a bit off because it's displaying the pressure while it's being filled. My current smaller Viair I keep in my Mustang is like that too.

I'm a novice, not the type of person who needs an onboard dual. I'll be doing some basic trails in the Spring for the first time, and enjoying the snow this winter.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks guys.

Based on those replies I am leaning towards a 450P. I understand it will be a bit slower to fill, but sounds like it will run cooler and will have no problem with the factory 35" tires.

I like how the Viair kits include the tool to deflate/inflate. I understand the included gauge can be a bit off because it's displaying the pressure while it's being filled. My current smaller Viair I keep in my Mustang is like that too.

I'm a novice, not the type of person who needs an onboard dual. I'll be doing some basic trails in the Spring for the first time, and enjoying the snow this winter.
If your going to spend $350 on a 450P you may as well just spend a bit more and get the ARB Portable Single: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/arb-high-output-portable-air-compressor/

No matter what compressor you use you never want to take a reading WHILE filling up. You have to stop filling up and let the gauge read the pressure.

The ARB can do a 35" tire from 15PSI to 35PSI in about 3 minutes.

Otherwise, we sell the 450P here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/viair-450p-automatic-portable-compressor-silver/

Sponsored
OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If your going to spend $350 on a 450P you may as well just spend a bit more and get the ARB Portable Single: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/arb-high-output-portable-air-compressor/

No matter what compressor you use you never want to take a reading WHILE filling up. You have to stop filling up and let the gauge read the pressure.

The ARB can do a 35" tire from 15PSI to 35PSI in about 3 minutes.

Otherwise, we sell the 450P here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/viair-450p-automatic-portable-compressor-silver/
Thanks for the info.

I found somewhere selling the 450P for $290. Seems difficult to beat at that price.

Does the ARB kit include an easy way to deflate the tires? It looks like it's just a hose, and I'd have to spend more to deflate.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model