First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As long as it's not a copy of ours, you're good. Our design is patent pending so it can't resemble our design otherwise I hate to say it, you'll get sued. Sooo yeah as long as it's not a copy of ours you're good to go.
Hang on, I have some experience in patents. Are you saying you have applied for a patent on a metal bracket? Seriously? With the costs in patent searches and the enormous amount of time it takes, not to mention the cost of a patent lawyer, (and you do need one), you would have to sell thousands of those to break even. I have designed hundreds of brackets in my time and never considered applying for a patent!
Sponsored

JohnT

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If someone wants to build their own. Do it and keep your mouth shut. But, come on a forum and give out the information. Thatā€™s not the smartest idea. The patent may be as useless as a broken screwdriver. Thatā€™s not the point. The OP gets to drop serious money on a lawyer If they decide to go after him. Much much more than that $250 just to buy the bracket.

Iā€™m not going to fault a company for getting pissy with someone they gave a gentle warning to and then he doubles down on it. They been extremely fair to me.
Thank you thank you thank you! I left a similar note.

JohnT

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Longer then it took you, that's for sure. But keep in mind, when I designed it... it didn't exist so I had to come up with it in my head and make it from an idea.

That's why we patent the product, to prevent people from trying to simply duplicate it and make money on it :) That's why people patent things after-all. To protect their work from others trying to sell the same thing.
You REQUEST a patent for a unique and innovative idea, not for a bracket. Come up with something worthy of a patent.

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hang on, I have some experience in patents. Are you saying you have applied for a patent on a metal bracket? Seriously? With the costs in patent searches and the enormous amount of time it takes, not to mention the cost of a patent lawyer, (and you do need one), you would have to sell thousands of those to break even. I have designed hundreds of brackets in my time and never considered applying for a patent!
Wouldnā€˜t it probably be around $20,000 for the patent process? Thatā€™s like 80 brackets. šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

JohnT

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LOL just trying to help ya. Last thing I want is someone on here to get tangled up in a battle with my lawyer because of a patent infringement. So I just saved you and I a lot of money and headaches :) You're welcome :) We patent it for a reason :)
Hey folks,

I couldn't drop the money for the mount that is available so I made my own. I have a pattern digitized and available, and I do admire that at first glance it is conceptually similar to the available mount; though it is not derivative of it. The geometry just kinda is what it is, not many ways to skin that cat. I'm considering posting it to help anyone out that has a need and a shop. Is it bad form to do so?
Remember, this clown has applied for a patent. There is no way in hell it would be granted before your Bronco ruts out. NO ONE can prosecute you for making a bracket exactly like theirs at any time anyway. Now if for some miracle they actually received patent protection (and the Earth reversed directions). AND you decided to go into business to sell your bracket then they might have a leg to stand on.

Sponsored

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes yes, you should continue on course. Because of course nothing will happen. /s

A patent for the marked product may eventually issue. If one has invested time and money into equipment and facilities for manufacturing the copied product, that investment may be totally lost once the patent issues. First, there could be an injunction completely halting the copying activity. Injunctions are granted in a high percentage of patent infringement cases. Second, there could be damages for patent infringement, including recovery of lost profits. And third, if the copier learns that the patent has issued and continues the copying behavior, then that could qualify as ā€œwillful infringementā€ allowing for recovery of triple damages against the infringer. In addition, the copier may have to pay the patent holderā€™s attorney fees. Thus, when one considers the investment in time and money to set up equipment and facilities, the risk of an injunction, the further risk of treble damages, and the risk of attorney fees, copying a ā€œpatent pendingā€ product may not be a wise decision.

https://adelanteiplaw.com/patent-infringement/should-i-infringe-a-product-which-is-patent-pending/

Bruzer22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so to summarize:
  • Hey, I made a bracket!
  • Looks like mine, Iā€™m going to sue you. I claim to have a patent pending, but wonā€™t prove it.
  • There are apparently a lot of forum members that are patent attorneys. Or at least unsubstantiated patent pending attorneys.

LINYBronco21

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Raptor: '22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If someone wants to build their own. Do it and keep your mouth shut. But, come on a forum and give out the information. Thatā€™s not the smartest idea. The patent may be as useless as a broken screwdriver. Thatā€™s not the point. The OP gets to drop serious money on a lawyer If they decide to go after him. Much much more than that $250 just to buy the bracket.

Iā€™m not going to fault a company for getting pissy with someone they gave a gentle warning to and then he doubles down on it. They been extremely fair to me.
OP didn't "give out the information" he came on here, (a community built around members discussing and helping members modify vehicles) and asked if it was bad form. 4x4 responded poorly as he often does, threw out some bullshit threat in an attempt to intimidate the OP.

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP didn't "give out the information" he came on here, (a community built around members discussing and helping members modify vehicles) and asked if it was bad form. 4x4 responded poorly as he often does, threw out some bullshit threat in an attempt to intimidate the OP.
It sure looks like someone was going to distribute. Iā€™m all for helping people. People think companies are just suppose to take the hit ā€œbecause it helps the communityā€œ.

I have a pattern digitized and available, and I do admire that at first glance it is conceptually similar to the available mount; though it is not derivative of it. The geometry just kinda is what it is, not many ways to skin that cat. I'm considering posting it to help anyone out that has a need and a shop.

LINYBronco21

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It sure looks like someone was going to distribute. Iā€™m all for helping people. People think companies are just suppose to take the hit ā€œbecause it helps the communityā€œ.

I have a pattern digitized and available, and I do admire that at first glance it is conceptually similar to the available mount; though it is not derivative of it. The geometry just kinda is what it is, not many ways to skin that cat. I'm considering posting it to help anyone out that has a need and a shop.
Why didn't you include the last line in your quote and bolds? Where the OP is asking if it is in bad form to do so?

Sponsored

LINYBronco21

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Personally, I don't believe 4x4 will even get a design patent on the bracket. So until he does, point is moot. At best he might be granted a utility patent.

Like others have stated, his attitude and approach will likely cost 4x4's more in lost sales on lighting than he ever would have made on these brackets imo

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do NY attorneys work for cheap? I know the AR attorney in my house doesnā€™t, and wonā€™t get off the couch unless itā€™s worthwhile. Wonder how much is to be billed vs. made over this. I think the OP can sleep at night.

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well this was fun!

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a thread get locked when I asked members what snooty takes were the worst (while admitting to my own snooty takes). It was harmless and fun, but not everyone saw it that way. No biggie. Yet this harmful and mean absolute tire fire burns on.

I had a job where I had to provide justification to help sustain patents. Gawd that was miserable stuff. Eight bagillion emails with our corporate lawyers later, patent extended. Iā€™d drill a 1/4ā€ hole through the centerline of my own head if I had to do that for a bracket.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I had a thread get locked when I asked members what snooty takes were the worst (while admitting to my own snooty takes). It was harmless and fun, but not everyone saw it that way. No biggie. Yet this harmful and mean absolute tire fire burns on.

I had a job where I had to provide justification to help sustain patents. Gawd that was miserable stuff. Eight bagillion emails with our corporate lawyers later, patent extended. Iā€™d drill a 1/4ā€ hole through the centerline of my own head if I had to do that for a bracket.
Yes, all chimney sweeps are the most sooty forum members.

Wait, what?

FWIW, after I make my own compressor mounting bracket, I'm going to post pics both unfinished and finished. Because I will be proud of my work. All metal is butter with the proper application of heat.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.