Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Roush does look cool.......but like most have said here - $400 for a cover and a filter? It even uses the stock intake. S&B or K&N Drop-in filter should suffice.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice/suggestions!!!!!
Sponsored

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the K&N and really like it. Sounds great, more turbo spool and blow off. Some seemed to have gotten a defective part with theirs but got it replaced. I must of lucked out since I didn’t have the defective part
I've always used K&N, they make great stuff don't spend the 400 dollars!

SamSqantch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base w/ Sasquatch package
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That Rousch is going to do nothing except cost you money. It literally does not address any drawbacks of the stock system. Just a Lid that says Rousch (I guess thats 15 hp?) and a washable filter.

I run the INjen system which brings bigger pipes all the way to the turbos, and a bigger inlet for the air. It also has way less bends in the system also allowing for better airflow. With the windows down, I can hear the turbos spool.

TireFlate

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tireflate.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone have any good suggestions?

I saw the Roush......it does seem crazy to pay $450 for a filter and a cover with a window. Literally that's it. lol.

I saw the K&N Intake system - any thoughts on this one?

I might just get this and call it a day......
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/66-5016-21-22-bronco-sb-drop-in-filter-cleanable-cotton.html
I installed the Injen air intake. With the other upgrades to the engine I feel it was the best choice out there. I had the Rouxh intake befor the Injen, and it made a big difference.

Sponsored

drewski

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2012 Ford F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I used to be a firm believer of the performance drop in filters. I know for a fact they have the ability to flow more (tested even myself).

IMO replacing the actual intake does no good and actually can hurt your low end torque. An engine can only suck in so much air, period. Having an air intake capable of flowing more air than the engine is asking for is a waste.

The last vehicle I replaced the entire intake on was supercharged and at high RPM under full throttle/load, a streamlined intake helped (or if you modified the engine to the point where it seriously needs more CFM).. but I lost that instant, just off idle torque.

Now with all that said..I mentioned I used to! My last vehicle that had a performance drop in, blackstone started showing higher silicone content (sucking in dirt). In addition my engine started burning a bit of oil at 50k.

And that was a street car. No way I'm putting in anything with less filtration on a vehicle that goes off road.

And yeah....off road racers use performance air filters.... But then they don't get over 100K miles on their engines either :unsure:
I've had a similar problem with K&N. After using the filter for several thousand miles, my truck started burning oil. Yes they flow more air and also the abrasive media with it. I'd never use another oiled "lifetime" filter again.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I installed the dry SB filter and am happy with it. Maybe a little MPG increase, idk. But it's very well built, great longevity, great filtration. I'm not high revving so I would never see the benefits from an air box swap.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've had a similar problem with K&N. After using the filter for several thousand miles, my truck started burning oil. Yes they flow more air and also the abrasive media with it. I'd never use another oiled "lifetime" filter again.
Even scarier, I'm running stock Air Filter, plus I rigged up a "pre-cleaner".

A couple months ago we did a trip to the Playas (think burning man area) and the dust there was so fine, I STILL found some inside the air intake tube.

No way in hell I'm putting on anything "high flow" if I can't even fully trust oem.

Btw...when is someone else (like WIX) going to make a stock replacement air filter fo gosh sakes...the Bronco has been out for 3+ years!!!

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you by any chance have the link to the exact K&N Filter you got? I've read that some are loosey-goosey, not for 2.7 but for 2.3.....etc.....Just wanna make sure I get the right one :) I'm glad you ALL are in unison about the $400+ intakes.....It's not a car that I'm revving to max rpm or even close. I just want it to breathe a little better and I think that $70 to $80 is worth the filter upgrade.
Have you ever watched the “PROJECT FARM” testing videos on YouTube? There is a specific very detailed video on testing air filter brands. You just assume the K&N filter is “better” because?

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My ten cents. These parts, like cold air intakes, extra lights, $100 color matched shackles are all sucker bait. Very, very few people will pull maximum HP from their engine what ever it may be.
Most engines today create more power that 99% of people will use unless you intend on flogging your vehicle every day. Avoid the trends just because it seems cool. Millions of dollars are thrown away on up grades. Not saying they don't help but honestly very few will ever reach that threshhold. Focus your funds on what targets you really intend to hit. If it's to be the cool guy,... go ahead. The $100 color matching shackles are a prime example. It's your money, your ride - you do you. Enjoy ;)
The voice of experience tells me to focus resources on exactly what I need and........are you seriously running your vehicle to the upper limits of a dyno run graph that shows you can make 10 additional HP?? I know people will jump on me in disagreement but THEY know they'll never abuse their baby either. Impress yourself not other people with trendy gadgets.
I agree with you exactly.

However as Americans I think it is great that entrepreneurs can come up with ideas, take the financial risk to pursue the design, manufacturing, and marketing, of their idea with the end goal of making a profit (living). My hat is off to them, and many great products have been the result of this.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Have you ever watched the “PROJECT FARM” testing videos on YouTube? There is a specific very detailed video on testing air filter brands. You just assume the K&N filter is “better” because?
K&N filters/similar really have no place in an Offroad vehicle in an Offroad environment where there’s any dirt/dust. You really can’t improve air flow (through a filter) much without improving particulate flow at the same time. Might as well remove the filter, throw some pantyhose over the intake to keep the critters out and raw dog your turbos till she don’t turbo no mo

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Even scarier, I'm running stock Air Filter, plus I rigged up a "pre-cleaner".

A couple months ago we did a trip to the Playas (think burning man area) and the dust there was so fine, I STILL found some inside the air intake tube.

No way in hell I'm putting on anything "high flow" if I can't even fully trust oem.

Btw...when is someone else (like WIX) going to make a stock replacement air filter fo gosh sakes...the Bronco has been out for 3+ years!!!
I use WIX filters exclusively on all my vehicles. I do this after “working” on industrial equipment for 45 years. You begin to notice the dominance of WIX filters.

No Bronco air filter yet however.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I'd watch this video a while ago as well. Occasionally I go in and check wix to see if they finally make one and have been surprised that they have not.

Not sure what the deal is... Starting to one if there's some sort of patent or something that has to expire before after Mark is allowed to make factory replaceable.
Sponsored