Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Based on all the intake threads, its pretty clear that a CAI may not give you any noticeable power. so the next most important thing to consider is turbo sound. I am curious if..

if the Roush CAI (no piping) vs the K&N CAI (piping) vs AFE CAI (piping), have any sound differences during acceleration (spooling)

also is there a difference in sound between any of the CAI above and replacement drop in filters

like K&N, Whipple, etc...

if I am strictly looking for sound and some airflow will I achieve it from just a drop in ? or is that only going to happen from CAI
Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put the rousch in mine. Noticed no change whats so ever. No louder noise, no power increase. Looks pretty. I can hear my blow off just fine. Never hear the turbos.

Maybe itā€™s louder on the outside but I wouldnā€™t know.

I stopped buying k and n years ago. Itā€™s just a overpriced name now imo.

Another company on here actually had a full piping kit in the works. Canā€™t remember the name.

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you are looking for blow-off sound, that's pretty easy. You can disconnect and cap the pipe where the BoV enters back into the intake tube. (At least this was really easy on the 2.7 F150.

Turbo whistle (like what you hear on big diesels) is much harder to achieve on an Ecoboost engine. I'm sure there are mods / kits that help, but a CAI isn't going to get you any more turbo whistle on this engine. Ford did a good job keeping the turbos stealthy.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Based on all the intake threads, its pretty clear that a CAI may not give you any noticeable power. so the next most important thing to consider is turbo sound. I am curious if..

if the Roush CAI (no piping) vs the K&N CAI (piping) vs AFE CAI (piping), have any sound differences during acceleration (spooling)

also is there a difference in sound between any of the CAI above and replacement drop in filters

like K&N, Whipple, etc...

if I am strictly looking for sound and some airflow will I achieve it from just a drop in ? or is that only going to happen from CAI
CAI Intake is what I'll be getting for my Wildtrak if it ever comes in. Better sound but zero extra power.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have the Rousch CAI installed along with the Turbo Smart Dual Port. When I only had the CAI installed, I barely got any turbo spooling sounds. It wasn't until I installed the BOV that my turbo came to life (possibly due to holding more boost?) - spooling sounds on a medium load in normal (pending on the gear) and sport just sounds awesome all the time.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WildtrakToronto
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have the Rousch CAI installed along with the Turbo Smart Dual Port. When I only had the CAI installed, I barely got any turbo spooling sounds. It wasn't until I installed the BOV that my turbo came to life (possibly due to holding more boost?) - spooling sounds on a medium load in normal (pending on the gear) and sport just sounds awesome all the time.

Hope this helps.
this really helps. thank you. I may go the same route turbosmart bov for sure with roush cai or replacement filter.

i only mentioned turbo sound because on other threads multiple people mentioned that the engine sound woke up after a CAI. not sure if that means that CAI echo sound or more whistle or just overall louder. either way, ill give it a go.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I put the rousch in mine. Noticed no change whats so ever. No louder noise, no power increase. Looks pretty. I can hear my blow off just fine. Never hear the turbos.

Maybe itā€™s louder on the outside but I wouldnā€™t know.

Another company on here actually had a full piping kit in the works. Canā€™t remember the name.
If K&N is over priced with the filter and piping, then Roush is exactly the same thing being you get a filter and the box for basically the same priceā€¦ To the OP with the K&N you can hear the intake, and the blow off valve is louder

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
this really helps. thank you. I may go the same route turbosmart bov for sure with Roush cai or replacement filter.

i only mentioned turbo sound because on other threads multiple people mentioned that the engine sound woke up after a CAI. not sure if that means that CAI echo sound or more whistle or just overall louder. either way, ill give it a go.
Lethal Performance now has a bunch of CAIs available with tubing. I believe it's the APE brand. Deifnitely look into that too. But again, I was disappointed in the lack of turbo sounds with the Roush until I got the BOV. Now it sounds amazing!

Last edited:

Gilligans_off

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Dr Bronco Badlands Sas/lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the drop in K&N and didn't notice much sound afterward. Maybe a minimal improvement over stock, nothing like I experienced on previous vehicles.

Cl1ckst3r

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I installed the K&N Cold Air Intake about one month ago for the 2.3 (https://www.knfilters.com/63-2620-performance-air-intake-system) Yes, definitely hear more turbo noises. Although, I don't have any proof, my butt-dyno says the turbo spools sooner. I think there is a bit more top end power which make sense: less restrictive means turbo spools sooner, more airflow means turbo doesn't run out of breath as quickly at high boost.

I'd take the K&N over the Roush. K&N provides a complete system; Airbox, Air Filter, Intake tube, all the connections, etc. Roush in simply an Air Filter and an airbox cover. The value of the K&N is the less restrictive intake tube. I was able to get my kit for $399.

If you do some searching, there has been some quality issues with the 2.3 Bronco Kit from K&N. For me, I had missing parts. K&N quickly rectified the issue.

If I were to do it again, I would strongly consider AFe. In fact, I may purchase the AFe charge pipes at some point in the near future. The K&N also has an exposed area inside the engine bay, they call it a pre-filter. So, maybe getting more turbo noise because of that.

I've driven turbo cars for a long time: Mitsubishi Eclipse GST and GSX, Subaru WRX (US and OZ), Ford Taurus SHO, and Ford Focus ST. IMHO upgraded intakes always allow turbo charged vehicles to perform better.

Almost every Ford Performance Pack comes with an upgraded intake. https://performanceparts.ford.com/performance-packs/

Where is the Bronco Kit?????

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
WildtrakToronto
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I installed the K&N Cold Air Intake about one month ago for the 2.3 (https://www.knfilters.com/63-2620-performance-air-intake-system) Yes, definitely hear more turbo noises. Although, I don't have any proof, my butt-dyno says the turbo spools sooner. I think there is a bit more top end power which make sense: less restrictive means turbo spools sooner, more airflow means turbo doesn't run out of breath as quickly at high boost.

I'd take the K&N over the Roush. K&N provides a complete system; Airbox, Air Filter, Intake tube, all the connections, etc. Roush in simply an Air Filter and an airbox cover. The value of the K&N is the less restrictive intake tube. I was able to get my kit for $399.

If you do some searching, there has been some quality issues with the 2.3 Bronco Kit from K&N. For me, I had missing parts. K&N quickly rectified the issue.

If I were to do it again, I would strongly consider AFe. In fact, I may purchase the AFe charge pipes at some point in the near future. The K&N also has an exposed area inside the engine bay, they call it a pre-filter. So, maybe getting more turbo noise because of that.

I've driven turbo cars for a long time: Mitsubishi Eclipse GST and GSX, Subaru WRX (US and OZ), Ford Taurus SHO, and Ford Focus ST. IMHO upgraded intakes always allow turbo charged vehicles to perform better.

Almost every Ford Performance Pack comes with an upgraded intake. https://performanceparts.ford.com/performance-packs/

Where is the Bronco Kit?????
this is great information man. thank you. i agree with what you are saying. looks like i may go with

Momentum GT Cold Air Intake System w/ Pro DRY S Filter
Ford Bronco 21-22 V6-2.7L (tt)
Part Number: 50-70081D

assuming there is stock....

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I also recently did the drop in K&N filter and canā€™t tell I did anything. Maybe a tiny bit more power off the line but zero increase in turbo noise and thatā€™s why I got it for some spool noise which I didnā€™t get.

Mad Martigan

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and 1 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any news on the ford performance kit for the Bronco? Not to hijack this thread.

PghBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I put the rousch in mine. Noticed no change whats so ever.

I don't think I've laughed this hard at a post in a long time šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ my brother in Christ.. You bought a lid and a bigger filter vs an entire new box tubing and filter.

Dino357

Wildtrak
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Wild trac /95 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Hope this helps.
Did you know,
Turbo Smart duel port BOV only lets out 50 % of the BOV into the atmosphere and return's the other 50% to the intake.
Sponsored