Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hello all.

I installed the K&N Cold Air Intake system on my 22 Wildtrak last weekend. I'm no mechanic, but I am sure I installed it correctly and followed the directions to the tee.

Ever since I installed it, the turbo seems to be way louder, almost like a screeching sound (sound only appears when the turbo is engaged, I checked using the turbo boost option on the dash). However, this could also just be a louder whistle (due to increased/better air flow?). I'm not sure, this is the first car I have owned with a turbo.

Is there a chance something is wrong with the turbo (loose hose, leak, etc.)? I had the intake hose to the turbo off for a while and put painters tape over it while it was exposed, so I don't think anything got into the turbo, but you never know...

Curious if anyone has also installed this intake and had the same experience or not? Or if you have any ideas what the increased noise/screeching could be?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
CAI’s often lead to more “breathing noises”.
If you can share a video of what you are describing, that would help with assessing if there’s an issue or not

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I put one on on my Bronco, you can hear the turbo and the blow off valve. They also mention in the installation instructions that you will hear these noises. Its normal.

Sponsored

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I started my career working in automotive aftermarket and designed several CAI. On of the advantages aftermarket has is generally customers want to hear their motor more than the general public. The OEM intake has to focus on damping the intake noise where as aftermarket does not often allowing for lower resistance in the intake tract. So louder noise is expected with an aftermarket intake I would guess its just this but no way to tell without being able to listen to it.

One item of note is never use a CAI that has a nut or bolt downstream of the air filter...

OP
OP
zman1988

zman1988

Wildtrak
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks, I may just be overreacting here. Will try and get a video of the noise.

I definitely here more turbo and more of the blow off valve.

PghBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One item of note is never use a CAI that has a nut or bolt downstream of the air filter...
So k&n we should avoid? Can you elaborate?

Cuz that's what I'm looking at.. That roush is stupid expensive for making a bigger filter and a new lid then slapping 560$ price tag on it.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So k&n we should avoid? Can you elaborate?

Cuz that's what I'm looking at.. That roush is stupid expensive for making a bigger filter and a new lid then slapping 560$ price tag on it.
I would need to see pictures. Any nut, bolt or other fastener can and do come loose will, maybe not for an individual customer but if you sell 500K units its highly likely to happen. When that fastener comes loose will the air filer catch it? If it is down steam of the filter it will get sucked into the motor. Very bad things happen when a nut or bolt gets into a motor....

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did a K & N intake kit on my 2005 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 six cylinder engine and manual 5 speed. It made sounds similar to what you are describing- like a whistling, breathing sound when I got on it. Everything was installed correctly, all clamps tight, etc. It was just the normal sound of the intake. I did not particularly care for the sound so I have not ever installed another one on any of the many vehicles I have owned since then.

Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All normal. I can hear the intake, turbo and blow off valve much more now (as it should be when providing more air)

Cl1ckst3r

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For turbocharged vehicles, the first stop is the turbo then the intercooler and then the engine. Yes, it would be very bad for any item to get sucked into the turbo. K&N doesn't have any bolts down stream on the intake for either their 2.3 or 2.7 intakes, just clamps, hoses, rubber grommets and adapters to accept all the various hoses and sensors from the engine...and from what I can tell AFe, Mishimoto, and others that actually offer an upgraded intake tube down have bolts south of the intake.

I have the K&N Performance Intake on my 2.3 and you hear a lot more turbo whooshes, whistles, and BOV noises. So, I think what you are describing is normal.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The computer will only allow the turbo to force as much air as needed at any given time, whether it's pulling that air from a stock box or an aftermarket setup......you're just able to hear what it's been doing exactly the same since day one, only now with less noise suppression from the stock box/filter. 25y of turbo diesel experience, they do the same thing, usually an extremely noticeable increase in turbo noise. A K&N oiled air filter is the last type of filter I would put in front of a turbo, especially if you live or drive in a dusty environment. Over a million miles combined between three powerstroke engines running stock dry filters and all three had the original turbos when we sold them. They spent 50% of their time traveling dirt roads as well.
Sponsored