First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Picked up a screw today in the passenger rear. Made an appointment at Discount Tire, assuming they can repair. Not close to the sidewall. From all I've read it sounds like a repaired tire is forget it ever happened, in terms of performance and durability going forward.

My question is: Any issues with airing a repaired tire down for offroading? Probably +/- 15 lbs. Or should I just make it the spare now?

Apologies if I missed a thread but didn't find one specifically addressing airing down a repaired tire for offroad. Thanks
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've run plugged tires for years and never had problem with the plug on or off road. Some tires have had over 40K miles with a plug with no issue.

Most are easy enough to plug yourself instead of taking it to a shop.

OP
OP
LeafusCheeseboro
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:
OP
OP
LeafusCheeseboro
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've run plugged tires for years and never had problem with the plug on or off road. Some tires have had over 40K miles with a plug with no issue.

Most are easy enough to plug yourself instead of taking it to a shop.
Thanks, and I assume your offroad use is aired down? Hate to admit I'm that guy who wouldn't have the first clue how to plug a tire but,...I'm that guy 🤣

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks, and I assume your offroad use is aired down? Hate to admit I'm that guy who wouldn't have the first clue how to plug a tire but,...I'm that guy 🤣

Yeah. I've abused plugged tires and never had the plug ever be an issue. That doesn't mean one won't be and I don't plug if near the sidewall. I've also had punctures that required more than one plug to fill the hole that would become a dedicated spare.

If it's a simple screw well into the tread, I would plug and continue to use it.

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I got a screw in a tire. Repaired and aired down/up multiple times so far with no issues.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've autocrossed on a plugged tire (plugged it on the way to the track). I think you'll be fine.

That said- I somehow picked up a tent stake in my left rear, plugged it, and made it my spare. I'm not trying to make the stock Goodyears last forever, so I'm fine with a four tire rotation now.

JWBroncoATL

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My guess is Discount Tire patched not plugged the repair.

Sponsored

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I got a screw in the tread and took it to Discount Tire, because I off road a lot, they plugged it and then internal patched it. I have aired down to 12 several times with no problem. I do recommend you carry a tire patch/plug kit and an air compressor to be safe. (or have a friend you wheel with that has them)

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My guess is Discount Tire patched not plugged the repair.
Your local Discount Tire location will repair your tire free of charge, no purchase necessary. We will inspect your tire for free following USTMA guidelines.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you’re gonna off-road, learn how to plug a tire. Heck if you’re gonna drive, learn how to plug a tire and carry a small 12v emergency compressor. Teach your kids how also. Half the cars these days don’t even have a spare tire. My daughter had to rescue her BF who had a flat, no spare, and no clue what to do the other day. 😐 I told her to kick him to the curb lol.
Sponsored