First Name
Brandie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im probably going to get some heat for this. Do you have any proof? I see a lot of assumptions and speculation but no evidence. I understand that this is a real risk but…
Apple supervisor confirming, and a map tracking me and telling me that it was on my persons going almost 80 miles an hour for 40 minutes.
Sponsored

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Apple supervisor confirming, and a map tracking me and telling me that it was on my persons going almost 80 miles an hour for 40 minutes.
So no?

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounds like you’ve eliminated all possibilities. Well done!

Sponsored
OP
OP
_brand13_

_brand13_

Badlands
First Name
Brandie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll be on Channel 2 KPRC in Houston Thursday 12/9 at 10pm if anyone wants to tune in. Some of my info (last name, city, type of vehicle) are remaining private.
Didn’t want the criminal to say “oh hey! Now I know where she is!”

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Baconator

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevrolet Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SCADABronx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LC100, Gen2 Pilot, MX P100D, Gen1 MDX, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have no doubt this is how thieves are operating these days. And I'm sure they aren't buying the airtags by legitimate means. My only doubt is the tag falling off the Bronco part of the scenario. I think this may be why so many comments are about the AirTag being associated with another vehicle. Also, my understanding of how tracking works is that it doesn't require a continuous connection through your phone, but only a few pings in synch with your movement. Not sure how many pings it takes. This would be a good question for the Apple folks. In your shoes, I would totally assume nefarious motives and take similar actions as you. Thanks for the heads up! 👍🏻

OP
OP
_brand13_

_brand13_

Badlands
First Name
Brandie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no doubt this is how thieves are operating these days. And I'm sure they aren't buying the airtags by legitimate means. My only doubt is the tag falling off the Bronco part of the scenario. I think this may be why so many comments a about the AirTag being associates with another vehicle. Also, my understanding of how tracking works is that it doesn't require a continuous connection through your phone, but only a few pings in synch with your movement. Not sure how many pings it takes. This would be a good question for the Apple folks. In your shoes, I would totally assume nefarious motives and take similar actions as you. Thanks for the heads up! 👍🏻
you’re welcome. We went through everything with several Apple associates and a supervisor. Police assisted. I was lucky it fell off when it did. And 3 days later, the device was erased from my items detected because it was destroyed. Not everyone will be as lucky.

Sponsored

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t get on here as often as I would like to, so if there is any delay in responding, please accept my apologies. I’ll try and keep up through email notifications.

As this could affect a lot of us here, I wanted to make you all aware:

Some of you may be aware of the recent AirTag situation where people are using them to track others.

After leaving an industry gala Thursday evening, I was driving. While driving, I don’t answer my phone unless an alert goes through Apple CarPlay, but I have my phone on Do Not Disturb from 9pm to 8am, so all alerts were silent.
May be worth mentioning, at the event, we parked in the hotel’s parking garage.
I got home, went into the kitchen and placed my handbag and phone on the counter when I noticed an alert (you’ll see photos on this post, the alert I received was from the Find My iPhone app stating “Unknown Accessory Detected Near You.”)
When I clicked on the alert, it showed that a portion of our route home was tracked, the red circles in the other photo indicating where my location update was seen. The alerts stopped at the entrance to our neighborhood.
We checked our clothes, my bag, shoes, and everywhere outside and inside of the Bronco that we could.

As the app suggested, we called our local PD, and two officers came by and started a case and also helped us search the Bronco. One of the officers also worked for Verizon, our provider, and instructed that we go to Verizon or contact Apple.

We downloaded an app called BLE Scanner 4.0 to see if any devices near the Bronco was trying to emit a Bluetooth signal.
My husband even went to the last location on the tracking map to see if he could find an AirTag but could not (it’s a busy area so we assume it was run over and destroyed, or ricocheted somewhere).

Do note that the owner of the AirTag can be retrieved through Apple by request of police (this is why it’s important to have a case number with the police and either Apple or your cell phone provider if you’re not an Apple owner) if you found it and have it in your possession.

I don’t have Android so I can’t speak on specifics of the steps needed to locate or report an AirTag with Apple if you have one.

These devices have been used to track people and vehicles, and I assume my Bronco was targeted as a two door hard top isn’t common at the moment, they don’t want my old ass.

I’ve been in contact with a local reporter that is calling me on Wednesday for one of her investigative reports.

Here is what Apple sent to me if you get a notification that an AirTag is found near you and what to give to police:

What to do if you find an AirTag or get an alert that an AirTag is with you https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212227
The law enforcement information they need to work with Apple is located at: https://www.apple.com/legal/transparency/government-information.html

I’ve included photos of both the alert I received from Find My IPhone, the map that tracked me, and links to recent TikToks that I received and saw recently about this.

Stay safe folks. Apple needs to get this under control. While I was talking to the first rep, during our call, the reports and comments on their site about this went from 34 to 98. It’s clearly an issue.

I’m a bit shaken up by this, obviously.

Also, you’ll see an option to disable it, but you cannot do this unless you have it.

4852838A-B460-4593-B58F-51EB5984A065.jpeg

68DDBD5B-6E78-43E6-B945-9A3FE3D6EBCC.jpeg
Holy crap! i would have never thought of something like this, but it makes perfect sense for the criminal element.

OP
OP
_brand13_

_brand13_

Badlands
First Name
Brandie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, it’s pretty crazy. I’ve heard several stories lately since sharing this. It will be interesting what comes from the local news story after tonight.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I noticed most comments on this thread are from skeptics. Here’s yet another article on the topic. The OP is very fortunate. Curious about a way to lock or disable the OBD2 port.

Another common technique by thieves is to use a relay that can read your key remotely from inside your house and transmit the signal to your car if it’s outside. It’s like they are holding your key and they can then steal the car. To prevent this you can store your key in a Faraday bag when not in use.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/apple-airtag-carjackers/

TxBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar f-pace
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

we were at an event in the Galleria area. It started tracking me while I was on I-10 near IKEA and then pinged me again by the Beltway, then fell off the vehicle before I got to my neighborhood.
We live in the Houston area as well, north near conroe. My husband has had 2 F250’s stolen in Houston. 1 at Papas off Richmond and then 1 off 249– they followed us into a bar/grill parking lot and waited for us to go in before popping the lock and stealing it. Ugh I’m glad your bronco was okay. This scares me though. I hate to think they are targeting broncos now.
Sponsored