Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looking to save money? Depending on where you live, there are people selling SAS takeoff tires (and sometimes rims) with low miles for a relative pittance. Just look in the marketplace forums for your region. At least in the CA and the southwest it seems like there is someone listing SAS takeoffs at least once every couple of weeks. Since the OBX stock rims are 18" you cannot buy just SAS takeoff tires, which are 17 inch, you need to buy both the tires and the rims.

The most general purpose A/T tires with reasonably mean look are the BFG KO2s and the Falken Wildpeaks AT3. If you want an even more badass look, try Nitto Terra Graplers, Mickey Tompsons or some such.

Seems that that OBX stock tires size is 255/70-18. A 275/70-18 is a hair over 33" and will look more aggressive, but not SAS aggressive. The SAS tire size is 315/70-17.

There should be plenty of options for you. If you decide to buy new just go into a Discount Tire or whatever your local reputable tire shop is and ask them for advice, since at the moment you don't know how to read a tire size.

And keep in mind that bad-ass looking tires
  1. Often handle much differently on asphalt, if you are not used to them you may find the ride very rough. This is, among other reasons, because their sidewalls tend to be stiff, the tires themselves are much thicker and heavier.
  2. The road noise can be notably higher, particularly on 35s
  3. Sometimes as they wear they become stiffer, exacerbating #1
  4. An already poor gas mileage is going to take another hit, possibly down to 16 mpg or so depending on the tire size you end up with
  5. A 35 inch tire weighs a lot more and will put some strain on the tranmission and a 2.3L engine. This may or may not manifest itself as mechanical problems down the road.

My advice is to rent a SAS Bronco for a weekend off Turo and see how you feel about the road noise and the handling before you plunk down hard earned cash on new rubber.

Thank you for the recommendation! Much appreciated.
Sponsored

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak, ‘22 Tundra TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve run Falken Wildpeak AT, Wildpeak MT (hard to find), Toyo AT3, BFG KO2 (several) and BFG KM3.

I had the Wildpeak MT on a Gladiator. They were great. I sold it at 17,000 mikes and the tires were still like new. I tried to buy them again. Limited sizes and hard to find.

I had the Wildpeak AT on a Tundra and had to swap them out at 11K miles. They were horrible - and no warranty as Falken wouldn’t warranty until 3/32 tread depth. I was at 4/32 and the truck would shake over 40mph. Never again.

I had the Toyo’s on an FJ Cruiser. They were fine. The sidewalls felt a little thin compared to the KO’s I swapped them with. But they rode well and wore normally. Unremarkable. i guess that’s an endorsement.

I’ve had KO2’s on LX Cruisers, FJ’s and Jeeps. They’re the standard AT off-roader for a reason.

With all that said, if you’re looking for that beefy, masculine looking truck thing go with the BFG KM3.

f1loco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger Tremor, Porsche 911SC, Willys CJ-2A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just shoed up Yokohama A/T XDs on my BL SAS. Despite it being a Load E, I love the ride. Now to sale the stock GY MT's with less than 2K miles. Pic below, wife's stock BL vs. the chunky A/T XDs.

Ford Bronco All terrain beefy tire recommendations? TIRES

Sponsored

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much :)

do you think Falken wildpeaks A/T3w. 275/70/17 is a good option ?
I have those tires and really like them. They have slightly more road noise, but you really can't tell for all the wind noise.

I off road 6-8 times a year and the rest of the miles are a mix of surface streets and freeway.

20230518_143918.jpg

20230518_143938.jpg

caseygcrosbie

Outer Banks
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks; 2019 Superduy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a ‘23 OBX and replaced the stock tires with 285/65r18 Hercules Terra Trac T/G Max. They are made through the Cooper Tire Company and are sized as a 33x11.50. I’ve been running them for a couple of months and like the way they feel plus they fill the wheel well up nicely.
Ford Bronco All terrain beefy tire recommendations? 20230518_143938
Those look great! Was there an issue putting them on stock rims? I see on their website it says it needs 8-inch rims (although the 295s only need 7.5? Strange...).
https://www.herculestire.com/treads/terra-trac-tg-max/

creeohdee

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I run the nitto recon grappler 37x12.5r20 and they’ve been amazing. Coming up on 30k miles with them, they’ve served me in nearly every environment like the recent record breaking Arizona summer to blizzards in Utah. They are also formidable offroad tires taking care of me everywhere from the imperial dunes to numerous trails in Moab.
Sponsored