Sponsored

Alternatives to Goose Gear for Seat Delete?

thisispete

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are there any commercially available alternatives to the Goose Gear seat delete kit for a 2-Door?

I just hate that they use plywood, and not some better waterproof material. And I've read nothing but bad reviews about their quality control. They should use some sort of marine grade plastic board POM or HDPE or something.

Anyone in North bay / SF Bay area CA have a Goose Gear install? I'd love to see it in person.

Anyone have a cad model worked up for a DIY solution? Would love to collaborate with someone to CNC prototype a fully waterproof version.
Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reactions: Cat

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

do we know if that will have a 'seat delete' option too or is that just for the space behind the seats?
Sorry I'm uncertain about the seat delete and haven't gotten around to e-mailing AAL. Like you I don't like the idea of using plywood, so searching for alternatives.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are there any commercially available alternatives to the Goose Gear seat delete kit for a 2-Door?

I just hate that they use plywood, and not some better waterproof material. And I've read nothing but bad reviews about their quality control. They should use some sort of marine grade plastic board POM or HDPE or something.

Anyone in North bay / SF Bay area CA have a Goose Gear install? I'd love to see it in person.

Anyone have a cad model worked up for a DIY solution? Would love to collaborate with someone to CNC prototype a fully waterproof version.
I am not a plywood fan either, but it is tough to beat the strength to weight/thickness ratio of birch. I probably would have opted for marine grade plywood, or just used the LineX on top AND bottom. I doubt I will get enough water in the back to do any harm to my GG setup, but the underside could potentially suck water if water did make it to that location.

Sponsored
OP
OP
thisispete

thisispete

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not a plywood fan either, but it is tough to beat the strength to weight/thickness ratio of birch. I probably would have opted for marine grade plywood, or just used the LineX on top AND bottom. I doubt I will get enough water in the back to do any harm to my GG setup, but the underside could potentially suck water if water did make it to that location.
If you want to go roof off, or hose out the interior (as intended for several of the trim packages) that wood is gonna get wet.

HDPE or some other plastic could be a great alternative. HDPE is a bit heavier for the thickness, but I think you could get away with thinner material and taller stand-offs, it comes in standard plywood sheet sizes and is easy to CNC, good physical qualities, could get away without the linex coating, but might need to texturize the surface or it could be slippery.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you want to go roof off, or hose out the interior (as intended for several of the trim packages) that wood is gonna get wet.

HDPE or some other plastic could be a great alternative. HDPE is a bit heavier for the thickness, but I think you could get away with thinner material and taller stand-offs, it comes in standard plywood sheet sizes and is easy to CNC, good physical qualities, could get away without the linex coating, but might need to texturize the surface or it could be slippery.
Having removed the driver side panel to replace the windshield wiper line, I can share that even with the rubberized flooring I would hesitate to do any hosing out because of 2 things:

1. The runner flooring has cutouts for the seat mounts.

2. The rubber flooring ends just under the side panels.

Any water that gets sprayed will end up under the rubber flooring. I had thought that the rubber flooring would be similar to a Line-X or Rhino coating, but all it is is a rubber carpet, more or less. Even with drains, when my wiper line leaked there was fluid under my rubberized flooring for a long time...and it saturates the foam that the rubberized flooring is made of.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Having removed the driver side panel to replace the windshield wiper line, I can share that even with the rubberized flooring I would hesitate to do any hosing out because of 2 things:

1. The runner flooring has cutouts for the seat mounts.

2. The rubber flooring ends just under the side panels.

Any water that gets sprayed will end up under the rubber flooring. I had thought that the rubber flooring would be similar to a Line-X or Rhino coating, but all it is is a rubber carpet, more or less. Even with drains, when my wiper line leaked there was fluid under my rubberized flooring for a long time...and it saturates the foam that the rubberized flooring is made of.
A lot of people fell hard for the marketing. When they say "washout" they mean "pinch your garden hose down to a trickle and be careful" not "spray down the whole ass interior"

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A lot of people fell hard for the marketing. When they say "washout" they mean "pinch your garden hose down to a trickle and be careful" not "spray down the whole ass interior"
Exactly...which is why although I like the idea of a more waterproof platform, it is a moot point unless I go through the hassle of removing the rubber flooring and just Rhino line the entire floor. I do not recommend hosing out the interior as-is.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the rubber flooring primarily because with my zoo any shred of carpeting would end up as nothing more than a fur-collector, and at least the rubber flooring can be vacuumed or I can just use a leaf blower if things get too out of control. For me, carpet would have just been something furry that would always smell like a wet dog.

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Does anyone have a diagram measurements to make your own? Have been thinking about doing this. My shopping list is so grand that I'm starting to try and find ways to cut corners to afford other upgrades. Cut Corners, get it. lol. Anywho, Will continue to search. Could just measure, but think if someone has already done it. It would make my life alot easier.
Sponsored