Sponsored

Any guesses on 2 door soft top aftermarket design?

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I know we have some design types/engineers in this community - any guesses on what the soft top for the 2 door will look like? snaps, channels, clips, etc
I have a 2018 JL 4 door soft top (premium twill) and while it is a very good design, still has a few flaws/kinks - curious what the aftermarket design is likely to be
Sponsored

OP
OP
peterh

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

forgot to add - I plan on getting a 2 door bronco first chance I get (2023 most likely)

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am willing to bet that Bestop will be the first to release a soft top design, unless Ford Performance has one in the works they want to tweak a bit more before they release. I have a Bestop Trektop NX Glide on my 2010 four door Wrangler and it is fantastic. It had a couple issues but it was because I got it a month or two after they released that model and they have since been fixed. Bestop also makes the OEM tops for Jeep, so they made your factory soft top.

As for design, I would bet they will go with channels instead of zippers and snaps. That's how my top was designed and it is much easier to use and maintain than a traditional zippered top would be. Technology is always getting better. Going back to snaps or zippers would be a step in the wrong direction, in my opinion.

If they are going to make them, I am sure they will have soft tops by the time you order in 2023.

OP
OP
peterh

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

thanks sir appreciate that input- wondering how the channels will attach to the body - the Jeep has a lip but by the looks of it the bronco doesn't - anyway, as Tom Petty put it, "the waiting is the hardest part"

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm still surprised there is no factory soft top for the 2-door. That would have been my choice.

Sponsored

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm still surprised there is no factory soft top for the 2-door. That would have been my choice.
Wait, what? There is no factory soft top ~ period? I was going to get my hard top and also order a factory soft top as well. If that's true, that kind of sucks.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There'll be enough solutions for Ford to offer an OEM+ Solution soon enough

They got another 9-10 months to go, they'll probably rectify it within that time as well, probably focusing on other things first

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

There'll be enough solutions for Ford to offer an OEM+ Solution soon enough

They got another 9-10 months to go, they'll probably rectify it within that time as well, probably focusing on other things first
I agree. You would think there has to be a soft top option at some point. But bottom line is that a soft top is not listed in anything we've seen so far for the 2 door. So its highly unlikely that it will be an option in build/price or at order time. If it was anticipated, you would think they would not have omitted it. It's a glaring omission.

Of course the worry is if there was some design decision we're not aware of that makes a soft top not possible on the 2 door--roll bar design for example and simply no space left for one. Could you imagine getting a first year 2 door and finding out it was never planned? That would be a bummer.

While I agree hard tops look better, the whole idea of the vehicle is the open air experience, at least for me, and I won't be driving around $60K+ vehicle hoping it doesn't rain and wreck the interior or electronics and/or void my warranty.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm planning on getting modular hard top and just call it a day.

Based on some stuff I've seen, all the pieces to the modular top snap together, along with the quarter glass panels and store in the back.

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Based on some stuff I've seen, all the pieces to the modular top snap together, along with the quarter glass panels and store in the back.
I thought so far there was no confirmation that the doors fit in the back of the 2dr, much less the roof?

Sponsored

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was planning on getting the combo hard and soft but as of right now I can only do that with the gray hard top.
I want white and if they don't offer white I'm going with the black hard top and painting just the top section of the hardtop in white(black sides)

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'd like to see that. I was hoping the same, that the rear side panels came off like the Jeep one-touch top. But then we saw the video where only the little rear windows popped out, which just seemed weird.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd like to see that. I was hoping the same, that the rear side panels came off like the Jeep one-touch top. But then we saw the video where only the little rear windows popped out, which just seemed weird.
I think that is how it was planned (for it all to latch together).

The quarter glass panel probably has to support the rear portion of the roof, so if just the quarter glass being popped out makes sense(to me) if the rear portion of the top was still attached.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought so far there was no confirmation that the doors fit in the back of the 2dr, much less the roof?
The doors on the 2 door are too long to fit, unless you turn them on edge. I'm sure the aftermarket will provide a solution.
I didn't think about the rear section of the modular top though. Its probably too wide. I'd really like to see that whole top in detail.

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think that is how it was planned (for it all to latch together).

The quarter glass panel probably has to support the rear portion of the roof, so if just the quarter glass being popped out makes sense(to me) if the rear portion of the top was still attached.
Yeah, I was hoping it was a 5 piece top. 2 "freedom panels" the removable panels over the driver and passenger. That we know is there.

Then the rest of the clam-shell top. Now if this was three sections, cool. Take top back sides off independently and be left with a safari-type top with sun protection or if you have a roof rack... And then the top portion with rear window. Of course, rear window separate would be cool too.

Jeep with one-touch top and removable rear side panels
Ford Bronco Any guesses on 2 door soft top aftermarket design? 1598618090059

admittedly, not the best look. But open air, except for the rear window not being easily removable.

Looking at the Bronco 2-door, I see a seam around the rear side panels (not just the rear window), so I was hoping that the rear side panels could be removed separately. Time will tell. Hopefully not something that changes after year one though. :) that would suck. I'm already wondering if purchasing year one is going to mean higher prices and missing out on things like the Bronco Raptor!

Ford Bronco Any guesses on 2 door soft top aftermarket design? 1598618364552
Sponsored