Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Had a great time in NH last weekend with 15 Broncos (and a few Jeeps). Fairly early, my right front went flat. (I had a pitcrew of 15 working on it, thanks boys!). Getting home and washing the mud off, I found it was a jagged, curving sidewall tear of about 3/4 inch x 3/4 inch. It's right in the sidewall cleating. Needless to say, "establishment" tire shops (e.g. Costco) won't touch it.

I'm not ready to go to my next set of tires (25K on original Goodyears/Badlands/Sas) just yet. I've heard that there are some super adhesive products which can repair--somewhat--sidewall damage. I'm hoping I could manage some kind of fix, maybe keep this strictly as a spare until I wear down my other four, then replace the five. I might buy 5 KO2s, and mount one as a spare until my four good (ha!) Goodyears wear down. Then mount the other 4 KO2s and begin a new rotation.

Anybody have any products (or other solutions) to recommend?
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pretty much have to replace the tire with sidewall damage. Not much to be done for a fix in that area.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored
OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Thanks.
I came across a post, somewhere, that there were a few Gorilla-like products that could manage a make-do repair on a sidewall tear. That's what I was asking about. I'd never take a tire, so treated, on a trail or a highway. I'd treat it more gingerly than a donut.
Massachusetts is having a tax-free weekend in a couple of weeks. I think I'll shop around for the be,st price I can get on KO2s, order & pay for them on the tax holiday. Mount one for the spare, and garage the other four until I retire the Goodyears. Then, as I said, mount the other four and start a new-tire rotation.

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks.
I came across a post, somewhere, that there were a few Gorilla-like products that could manage a make-do repair on a sidewall tear. That's what I was asking about. I'd never take a tire, so treated, on a trail or a highway. I'd treat it more gingerly than a donut.
Massachusetts is having a tax-free weekend in a couple of weeks. I think I'll shop around for the be,st price I can get on KO2s, order & pay for them on the tax holiday. Mount one for the spare, and garage the other four until I retire the Goodyears. Then, as I said, mount the other four and start a new-tire rotation.
Repairing a sidewall is dangerous, it flexes a lot more than tread and will not hold.
Just replace all 5 and sell the 4 used ones on marketplace.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks.
You’d be risking your life and everyone around you, which I really hope you’d care about.

The sidewall is load baring, so it needs to flex and not tear. Losing a tire when wheeling is just a part of it man. Not too expensive of something to have fail.

A trail patch is one thing, but highway speeds and cornering with a “glue” on a front tire is asking for a rollover. Then the pic of your demise will be a new thread on the forum for a couple days, then we’d move on……

Hope you understand my point and don’t be cheap and do what you need to do to keep safe.

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Vulcanizing is the process to repair sidewalls, and for 100% offroad-only use it works. Very few shops actually do it anymore, the liability is too high.

The C range load rating is too light for the Bronco, hence the weak sidewalls. Suspect a little online hunting will find a set that someone else removed that you could use. If you've wrecked one, you'll wreck more.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks.
Having lived many years on the Cape, and in Boston, I'm partial to Anyone with an acceptable 6g name like "BostonSasquatch". So I'm glad you're not going to try repair a sidewall tear and are therefore more likely to be with us for a long while.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tore the sidewall of an OEM Goodyear on a trail run. For those whom the site will notify of thread updates:

1) Thanks for everybody's advice (and sympathy). I realized a repair was unlikely, but was hoping that some kind of make-do repair would allow me to A) keep driving the tread on my OEM Goodyears down while B) having a spare, not to be used hard, long, or off-road. I checked with a few inner-city tire guys: if they couldn't repair it, nobody could.
2) Nobody could.
3) Massachusetts is having a tax-free holiday this weekend. A church friend of mine is parts manager at a Honda dealership, and he'll order 5 new KO2s for me on Saturday, at $320 each. So I'll:
4) Mount one KO2 as a spare, and put the remaining 4 in the basement until (I expect) next Spring, while I
5) Wear down the remaining 4 OEM Goodyears.

My tax-free/dealer courtesy price saves me $423 off Costco for five, not counting mounting. I think I made the best of a bad situation. Thanks for your posts, folks!
Sponsored