Sponsored

Any modifications needed for 285/70/18 (or 285/75/17) tires?

Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We are just about wrapped up with the snow season here in Colorado, and I am looking to purchase a set of larger tires for the rest of the year (I have separate snow tires).

As the title mentions, I am conflicted between what would make more sense between a 275/70/18 (33.2") tire and 285/70/18 (33.8") tire. I'd prefer the look of a beefier tire, but also am not interested in installing any leveling kit or removing crash bars. I drive a non-sas OBX.

• The 275/70/18 option is the General Grabber AT/X. It looks like a solid tire, but I'm worried the sidewall and overall tire is not as aggressive as other brands.
  • The 285/70/18 option is the Falken Wildpeak A/T4W

Also worth noting is that the Falken is C load which is what I prefer (I refuse to get E load since I know that will never be necessary for me). The General Grabber is standard load.

Any insight or experience amongst the forum would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is actually a 1.5” difference between the 2 tires you mentioned in your post. I’m running 275/65r18 on non sas OBX absolutely no problem. The 285/70r18 is about an inch and 1/2 bigger. Diameter 32.1” vs 33.7”. Not sure if you may encounter some rub on tight turns or during articulation.
EDIT::::OOPS 275/70 NOT 65 my bad

F15DE0F4-9697-4BFD-9075-E0C250150E13.png

FA29354E-B37E-4ECA-AB6E-59845013D769.png

Last edited:

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We are just about wrapped up with the snow season here in Colorado, and I am looking to purchase a set of larger tires for the rest of the year (I have separate snow tires).

As the title mentions, I am conflicted between what would make more sense between a 275/70/18 (33.2") tire and 285/70/18 (33.8") tire. I'd prefer the look of a beefier tire, but also am not interested in installing any leveling kit or removing crash bars. I drive a non-sas OBX.

• The 275/70/18 option is the General Grabber AT/X. It looks like a solid tire, but I'm worried the sidewall and overall tire is not as aggressive as other brands.

Also worth noting is that the Falken is C load which is what I prefer (I refuse to get E load since I know that will never be necessary for me). The General Grabber is standard load.

Any insight or experience amongst the forum would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
I run 275/65R18 on my OBX and the tires just kiss the sway bar at full lock. I personally wouldn’t go that much wider without changing the offset of your wheels.

275/70 is by far the most commonly done tire upgrade on the OBX if you want to keep everything else stock. I’m totally with you on avoiding E Load tires. Not only the ride stiffness but 10+ pounds per tire difference will be a drag.

JR23

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have exactly the first option you are considering, on the same model. Assuming you are going 18" because you are keeping the stock wheels. Crash bars are on, no lift on mine. The tires are fine and were a decent stop gap until I go to 17's.

Ford Bronco Any modifications needed for 285/70/18 (or 285/75/17) tires? bronc
Sponsored