Sponsored

Any solution for hoisting hardtop as one unit?

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are there any solutions for hoisting the entire 4dr hardtop as one unit with the front and middle panels in place?
I certainly wouldn't want to just stress on the panel latches.

Has anybody seen an option or have ideas how to do this?
Sponsored

BitterBronco

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How handy are you? Are you willing to cut some lumber?

Also, are you trying to remove with a hoist from the ceiling?

If you’re comfortable with a saw, drill, and are hoisting from the roof, I think you could easily rig something up to lift it all in one unit

My only comment would be that finding a way to fit that rig into the Bronco, storing the rig, etc. is likely more cumbersome than just removing the front 3 panels and dealing with them independently

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out a similar question (2 door in a carport with only 3 inches of clearance, no one to help remove the top, etc).

if you come up with a cool idea, I’d love to see you post it!

BitterBronco

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How handy are you? Are you willing to cut some lumber?

Also, are you trying to remove with a hoist from the ceiling?

If you’re comfortable with a saw, drill, and are hoisting from the roof, I think you could easily rig something up to lift it all in one unit

My only comment would be that finding a way to fit that rig into the Bronco, storing the rig, etc. is likely more cumbersome than just removing the front 3 panels and dealing with them independently

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out a similar question (2 door in a carport with only 3 inches of clearance, no one to help remove the top, etc).

if you come up with a cool idea, I’d love to see you post it!
Also, removing the top imperfectly has been known to crack the seal around the windows and allow water to leak in (at least in early roof units; maybe/hopefully they figured it out)

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had my top off plenty of times. No issues so far. I use the toplift pro and love it. Easy to use on your own and quick.

https://topliftpros.com/pages/bronc...OJ6GH2t43tHZWPs--0_Dqaz7IM3cKyvAaAjY2EALw_wcB

To the OP question, I don't see how the 4 door top could come off as 1 pc. The removable sections have no support cantilevered so far away from the main rear portion. Also you need to remove the mid section to remove the single hardware from each side to remove the rear. Since that's already off why no need to reinstall

If you find a method be sure to report back here

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not saying it is impossible but it would take a lot of time and effort to come up with a working solution. And I don't think lumber would cut it, you are going to need to break out the welder.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are there any solutions for hoisting the entire 4dr hardtop as one unit with the front and middle panels in place?
I certainly wouldn't want to just stress on the panel latches.

Has anybody seen an option or have ideas how to do this?
I think @huey summed it up well. If you're looking to compact lifting or storage, the midpanel will store nicely on a TrailRax half-rack on the rear cap. You could hoist it that way. Maybe front panels in bag on top if you have the garage height. I drove on the beach like that before Skyrider installation.

20230509_125110.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think @huey summed it up well. If you're looking to compact lifting or storage, the midpanel will store nicely on a TrailRax half-rack on the rear cap. You could hoist it that way. Maybe front panels in bag on top if you have the garage height. I drove on the beach like that before Skyrider installation.

Ford Bronco Any solution for hoisting hardtop as one unit? 20230509_125110

That looks like a handy idea!!

I feel like heavy straps should run front to back ....and they should be BEEFY. You have got to keep that leading edge from lifting at ANY and ALL costs.

Beefy side to side straps for bonus points.

Throw those bungees in the trash.

Man, the amount of shit I've seen fold in half or take flight into traffic because air got under the leading edge .....

My favorite was somebody's brand new garage door panels folded in half on top of their ladder rack on their truck because they didn't have the front tied down enough.
(In narrator Morgan Freemans voice)
"They bought two garage doors that day."

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That looks like a handy idea!!

I feel like heavy straps should run front to back ....and they should be BEEFY. You have got to keep that leading edge from lifting at ANY and ALL costs.

Beefy side to side straps for bonus points.

Throw those bungees in the trash.

Man, the amount of shit I've seen fold in half or take flight into traffic because air got under the leading edge .....

My favorite was somebody's brand new garage door panels folded in half on top of their ladder rack on their truck because they didn't have the front tied down enough.
(In narrator Morgan Freemans voice)
"They bought two garage doors that day."
Like I said, "on the beach!" (20mph) Is perfect for that set up. Highway? Web straps. Overall, that's why I got a Skyrider. The point of the post was to illustrate stackability for efficiency in hardtop storage.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like I said, "on the beach!" (20mph) Is perfect for that set up. Highway? Web straps. Overall, that's why I got a Skyrider. The point of the post was to illustrate stackability for efficiency in hardtop storage.
LOL, I read " to the beach ".
Sorry about that.
That is a really handy idea though, I didn't mean to blast it.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

LOL, I read " to the beach ".
Sorry about that.
That is a really handy idea though, I didn't mean to blast it.
Your concern is legitimate, but it was also my concern and I took steps to mitigate it. The straps are upgraded, custom built full rubber (in mote photos), and there are three hold down points at the front. The way the clamp brackets reach down into the TrailRax rack, it's very tight and helps hold it in place. I even tried to use the mid panel clamp as a mechanism to clamp to the rack, but that would have taken more metal fabrication ability I have. When I did that midpanel experiment in 2022, the TrailRax had just been released, there was no Skyrider, and there were several others on 6G who were looking to see if this were combination was possible. It is, but as you note, I would never run this setup on the highway. Well-strapped, around town, on the beach, sure.
The other experiment was to see if the TrailRax half-rack and the Skyrider are compatible.

SmartSelect_20240407_165948_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20240407_162813_Gallery.jpg
Sponsored