Sponsored

Anyone using a bike rack w/ their Raptor?

'18 M2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’m looking at any/all hitch options, does anyone here had any suggestions? I’d like a four bike solution.
Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm going to get a Kuat Thule (typo) swing out hitch system and a QuikrStuff tray style rack. Kind of like this:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/1up-bike-rack-kuat-pivot-curt-hitch-sasquatch.33672/

Except QuikrStuff instead of 1Up. The inventor of the 1Up system left the company, totally redesigned the rack and started Quikrstuff. I've had multiple 1Up racks for years and they are "heirloom quality" and always a joy to use.

Quikrstuff shown in 1st two pics and 1Up on my 911.

Buy once, cry once...

Ford Bronco Anyone using a bike rack w/ their Raptor? quickrstuff-15-rotated

Ford Bronco Anyone using a bike rack w/ their Raptor? quickrstuff-19-rotated

Ford Bronco Anyone using a bike rack w/ their Raptor? PXL_20221026_012158540

Last edited:
OP
OP
'18 M2

'18 M2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm going to get a Thule swing out hitch system and a QuikrStuff tray style rack. Kind of like this:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/1up-bike-rack-kuat-pivot-curt-hitch-sasquatch.33672/

Except QuikrStuff instead of 1Up. The inventor of the 1Up system left the company, totally redesigned the rack and started Quikrstuff. I've had multiple 1Up racks for years and they are "heirloom quality" and always a joy to use.

Quikrstuff shown in 1st two pics and 1Up on my 911.

Buy once, cry once...

good stuff, thanks. i’m concerned that the thule pivot won’t fit under the 37” tire. i’m definitely interested in the quickrstuff rack, that looks really well designed and machined.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
^ Ugh, sorry, Kuat swing hitch, like the linked post on the forum, NOT Thule. Brain fart...

Wheelin72

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With the spare tire hanging over the hitch receiver, it gets in the way of my bike rack. I bought a hitch extension like one of these. Getting one with a "drop" will lower the bike rack (or trailer tongue) lower to the ground, which helps if you have sasquatch or a lift.
https://www.amazon.com/hitchextension

For the bike rack, I have an Allen 4 bike like this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Allen

If you pull the pin, the bike rack pivots rearward away from the vehicle about 45 degrees. I can fully open the bronco swing gate without removing the bike rack, which is AWESOME. This is a must-have feature.

Sponsored

85crawlrunner

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I also bought a hitch extension. I got the Thule one with bolt style pin to tighten and reduce the rack wobble.

I also have the Kuat 4 bike rack that tightens in the receiver to reduce wobble but it’s not my favorite and I’ve had bikes come loose so I would say the 1up route is a better option as it secures tires better.

OP
OP
'18 M2

'18 M2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
With the spare tire hanging over the hitch receiver, it gets in the way of my bike rack. I bought a hitch extension like one of these. Getting one with a "drop" will lower the bike rack (or trailer tongue) lower to the ground, which helps if you have sasquatch or a lift.
https://www.amazon.com/hitchextension

For the bike rack, I have an Allen 4 bike like this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Allen

If you pull the pin, the bike rack pivots rearward away from the vehicle about 45 degrees. I can fully open the bronco swing gate without removing the bike rack, which is AWESOME. This is a must-have feature.
From what I understand, using these hitch extenders lowers the weight rating of the rack.

85crawlrunner

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From what I understand, using these hitch extenders lowers the weight rating of the rack.
The extender is super stout and I see no problem at all with weight rating for 4 bikes being an issue.

If I were towing a trailer at full limit I would certainly check ratings for an extender but a bike rack is no way going to be a problem.

Wheelin72

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree that a bike rack, fully loaded with bikes, is no problem on either the bike rack, the extension, or the tongue load onto the vehicle. I also use a motorcycle carrier/rack, with a motorcycle that weighs about 225 lbs. No issues.

Use of an extension DOES reduce the tongue load capability of the vehicle / receiver. The tongue load of the bronco is rated at 300 lbs. That load is assumed to go "straight down" at the point of the receiver. When you extend the receiver away from the vehicle, now the tongue load is pressing down, as well as creating a moment arm, or bending load at the receiver, and this reduces the amount of vertical tongue load that it can handle. So I've used the extension with my 225 lb motorcycle without issue. A fully loaded bike rack is far less than this.

For anti-wobble / rattle of the extension into the receiver, and bike rack into the extension, I use these devices...
https://www.amazon.com/hitch_tighten

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have the Kuat pivot V2 arm on my raptor, fitted to the quikrstuff mach2. The kuat pivot arm has literally like 5mm of clearance to the 37" tire. Its perfect. Opens 120-degrees. Build very solid.

Highly recommend that setup

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
'18 M2

'18 M2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have the Kuat pivot V2 arm on my raptor, fitted to the quikrstuff mach2. The kuat pivot arm has literally like 5mm of clearance to the 37" tire. Its perfect. Opens 120-degrees. Build very solid.

You addressed the main issue I was concerned about with that set up- clearance on the 37” tire, thanks.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Pics of said setup? I have been considering the Kuat V2 for my Thule rack but was concerned about clearances. I presume it also blocks the parking sensors.

Also seems like if you want to fully open the tailgate and have a slide floor, etc you need the version that swings out towards the drivers side NOT the passenger side

Thanks

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Also seems like if you want to fully open the tailgate and have a slide floor, etc you need the version that swings out towards the drivers side NOT the passenger side.
Yes, but due to the bike rack itself, not the Kuat swing bar.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yes, but due to the bike rack itself, not the Kuat swing bar.
I think the issue is the pivot point on the swing bar actually, regardless of which bike rack. Kuat does offer it in either a passenger or driver orientation.

If I'm missing something please elaborate.
Sponsored