Sponsored

ARB Air Compressor, deflate solenoid, and wiring.... all hooked up in engine bay

OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 Door Outer Banks 2.7L Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
ARB compressors have been around for a long time. So I’d say they were not “designed”for this location. They are high quality, heavy duty for sure and mine gets very hot when in use installed inside the bronco. Exposer to heat, water, DUST and whatever u might run into is gona have a high impact on the unit. I feel this was an easy location for company’s to create a bracket for. It’s an easy install also being so close to the battery. Noise? Well off-roading isn’t clean or easy.
well you have years of people before broncos with 4 runners , jeeps and various other trucks using them under the hood and I've seen very little in the way of damage resulting from heat output. The bronco does have heat protection under the hood so while I'll say its not the best location , it is the cleanest and less noisy location. With what people including myself are spending on off road vehicles , if a 700 dollar compressor was my breaking point , then I think I have more to worry about than a 700 dollar compressor. If I have to replace it every 2 years , I'll be happy. I'll go on the beach maybe 10 to 20 times of the year. Doubt I'll do anything else that requires its use , so under my use and application , realistically , it should be fine. We shall see. Hopefully it gives years of service.
Sponsored

350vudu

Raptor
First Name
350vudu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2019 Ducati V4S Corse
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am a bit curious why you decided on not using the ARB pressure control kit? Seems perfect for your use case. I plan to use it in my installation and run my lines to each wheel and use short whips for airing up and down, same as you.

Also, good idea on the APEX valves. Had no clue they existed but I've now placed an order for them lol.

OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am a bit curious why you decided on not using the ARB pressure control kit? Seems perfect for your use case. I plan to use it in my installation and run my lines to each wheel and use short whips for airing up and down, same as you.

Also, good idea on the APEX valves. Had no clue they existed but I've now placed an order for them lol.
Well , honestly I did not know it was an option but I can say this. Nothing is as fast to deflate as the APEX valves. So waiting for 4 tires to slowly release air , regardless of this system or the pressure control kit is extremely slow. The deflation side will rarely get used. The video they show is sped up time lapse. It does not actually deflate that fast. With APEX , I can walk around and have all 4 tires from 38 PSI to less than 10 PSI in about 20 seconds. Then I can cut the compressor on and inflate up to 15 in just a minute or two. Technically from 38 psi to 15 PSI in 3 minutes , and riding down the beach. As far as I know , nothing is as fast as that. I'll have a gauge under the front seat on a short leash that I can monitor the air pressure with and I can also feed to someone else and deflate or inflate them with a 50 foot hose connected to the other side of the gauge. If I had this kit it would do essentially the same thing , all be it , more wiring , and more mounting and then having to use a phone again for something else. If I'm out kayaking , or enjoying the outer banks , trust me , I've had times I wanted to throw my phone into the sound. I just really want less connection to my phone on my days off lol.

350vudu

Raptor
First Name
350vudu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Well , honestly I did not know it was an option but I can say this. Nothing is as fast to deflate as the APEX valves. So waiting for 4 tires to slowly release air , regardless of this system or the pressure control kit is extremely slow. The deflation side will rarely get used. The video they show is sped up time lapse. It does not actually deflate that fast. With APEX , I can walk around and have all 4 tires from 38 PSI to less than 10 PSI in about 20 seconds. Then I can cut the compressor on and inflate up to 15 in just a minute or two. Technically from 38 psi to 15 PSI in 3 minutes , and riding down the beach. As far as I know , nothing is as fast as that. I'll have a gauge under the front seat on a short leash that I can monitor the air pressure with and I can also feed to someone else and deflate or inflate them with a 50 foot hose connected to the other side of the gauge. If I had this kit it would do essentially the same thing , all be it , more wiring , and more mounting and then having to use a phone again for something else. If I'm out kayaking , or enjoying the outer banks , trust me , I've had times I wanted to throw my phone into the sound. I just really want less connection to my phone on my days off lol.
Ok, got it. I get what you are saying. I guess my reasoning is that I don't think I will be in a situation much where I just need to have that speed of deflation. I would like being able to just hook up, have the psi preset in my phone, hit go and walk away and do something else. It will alert me when done. Same for the inflation. Set psi for inflation and go do something else. I did buy the Apex valves just for backup if I absolutely have to air down immediately.

Looking forward to your video showing your routing and set up. I will have to make adjustments as I have a Raptor coming and can not mount in the engine bay. Will have to mount mine in the trunk.

OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah , setting the psi and go do other things is good just when I come off the road and i go to lower the psi. On the beach , nothing to really do until you get back going. Faster the better for me. I can stare at the gauge for a few minutes.....I can also integrate that as well later on but it's a bit redundant.

Sponsored

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was waiting to see what the BFG auto Deflator/Inflator system look like but this my be good alternative chose if that one doesn't come out.
I was at Trail Hero in October and the BFG rep, Tim Cromer had this on his Jeep. We did Plan B trail that day and he was one of the spotters. He pulled up next to my Bronco hit a switch on the dash and was airing down sitting in the cab. I was like .... what.

He said they were testing it out on his Rig. Pretty cool, you can air up and down on the trail whenever you want. Has individual solenoids on the valve stems at each wheel and lines simaliar to a military Humvee, all attached to the compressor system. Of course I forgot to take pics....lol

OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was at Trail Hero in October and the BFG rep, Tim Cromer had this on his Jeep. We did Plan B trail that day and he was one of the spotters. He pulled up next to my Bronco hit a switch on the dash and was airing down sitting in the cab. I was like .... what.

He said they were testing it out on his Rig. Pretty cool, you can air up and down on the trail whenever you want. Has individual solenoids on the valve stems at each wheel and lines simaliar to a military Humvee, all attached to the compressor system. Of course I forgot to take pics....lol
That would be best but yeah even more cost.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Any links/pointers to info on BFG's system? While I've always assumed I'd install an ARB dual with basic plumbing since I do not yet have a Bronco I've got nothing but time to read about possible options. 🤠

OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Any links/pointers to info on BFG's system? While I've always assumed I'd install an ARB dual with basic plumbing since I do not yet have a Bronco I've got nothing but time to read about possible options. 🤠
I just watched a video on it but damn that's involved. Have to have a special wheel to mount the solenoids I assume. Then the control screen or maybe not. Air tanks are a option but likely desired. For extreme weekly off roading , I'm sure it's a very favorable system. However I got 1.4 k in mine , I would guess this system is going to be at least 3 k or more.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just watched a video on it but damn that's involved. Have to have a special wheel to mount the solenoids I assume. Then the control screen or maybe not. Air tanks are a option but likely desired. For extreme weekly off roading , I'm sure it's a very favorable system. However I got 1.4 k in mine , I would guess this system is going to be at least 3 k or more.
Yeah, my take on it is its for off road geared machines, rock crawling, ect. I figured it would be spendy. Was pretty trick though.

Sponsored

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, no, I havnt kept up with it. Tim is a cool guy, he is the West Coast rep. If you go to a show or event where BFG is involved the local rep may know. I will probably do Trail Hero in October again. Don't know if I'll see Tim before that.

350vudu

Raptor
First Name
350vudu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Damn anymore info on this? Links? This is very ideal.

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn anymore info on this? Links? This is very ideal.
Not much info but here is the system in action.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco ARB Air Compressor, deflate solenoid, and wiring.... all hooked up in engine bay 1673104047251

This is where we usually stick the AuxBeam panels :) Bet it was fun going "where the heck am I gonna stick this auxbeam panel now" right :)

It's such a small panel but awkward to find a home for it.

We're making a mounting kit for the panel soon. We were getting tired ourselves of modifying them to fit.

We usually mount them vertical in front of the battery but it makes it a bit awkward to get the cover on and off so.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not much info but here is the system in action.
Thanks! Yeah, gonna file that one right next to the Continental GT and 911 GT3 Touring in my "Shiny stuff that's fun to look at that I'll never buy" folder. o_O Undeniably very cool, though.
Sponsored