Sponsored

Are parts shortages delaying all broncos?

Roundrocktx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus is350c, F-150, F-250 on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I work for a major semiconductor in sales. I can tell you that nearly all components are in short supply or are on allocation. The combination of covid, increased demand and tons of new products has sucked the pipeline dry.

In the case of semiconductors, it is impossible to ramp production quickly. For high tech components, it can take a couple years and billions of dollars before a new factory comes on line. This is probably the case with most factories. It can be a long process to increase production.

I had a problem with the sync in my f-150. I called the dealer i bought it from. They gave me an appointment that was 6 weeks out. I found another dealer,but it still took more than two weeks to get the replacement module. They told me they had several cars on the lot that did not run and needed parts.

if the home depot and lowes is like where I live, there were months at a time when they didn't have much wood or other material on the shelves. During this time prices have gone up by 2x-3x on some items due to the high demand.

I don't doubt that these same issues are affecting production of broncos. It only takes a shortage on one component or part to stop production.

I would have to assume that the price to build a bronco is going up too,, so ford's guarantee to hold price for '22 orders may end up being a decent savings.
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, just the ones with 5 wheels.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And it seems like these shortages are not local but world wide,we have the same issues in Canada,had to postpone my deck rebuild last fall becauase of lumber shortages.On a dealer side parts that would normally be stocked or a day away are 7-10 days away or on backorder though Fomoco.

3Dogs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I work for a major semiconductor in sales. I can tell you that nearly all components are in short supply or are on allocation. The combination of covid, increased demand and tons of new products has sucked the pipeline dry.

In the case of semiconductors, it is impossible to ramp production quickly. For high tech components, it can take a couple years and billions of dollars before a new factory comes on line. This is probably the case with most factories. It can be a long process to increase production.

I had a problem with the sync in my f-150. I called the dealer i bought it from. They gave me an appointment that was 6 weeks out. I found another dealer,but it still took more than two weeks to get the replacement module. They told me they had several cars on the lot that did not run and needed parts.

if the home depot and lowes is like where I live, there were months at a time when they didn't have much wood or other material on the shelves. During this time prices have gone up by 2x-3x on some items due to the high demand.

I don't doubt that these same issues are affecting production of broncos. It only takes a shortage on one component or part to stop production.

I would have to assume that the price to build a bronco is going up too,, so ford's guarantee to hold price for '22 orders may end up being a decent savings.
When I first started on my so-called career, I worked for a IC manufacturer. My boss told me a (possibly apocryphal) story about one of their fab managers who was an electronics hobbyist, and was waiting on a kit he ordered. He waited and waited, and finally got frustrated and called the kit supplier. They said that they had all but one part. He asked which part it was, so he could call the manufacturer and find out what was going on. They told him, and he realized that he was the one who had put the part on hold...

As an aside, I used to work in e-beam lithography, and the companie's SOP was to put mask production on hold until approval by the customer. We had a stack of tapes that had been on hold for months. The day before Thanksgiving vacation, they came off hold and were now HOT. I called up the CSR, and asked them what they were going to do for me, if they expected me to come in over vacation and make their masks. The answer was “nothing.” So, I started them after vacation was over. The old adage applies:

Ford Bronco Are parts shortages delaying all broncos? 1616955293172

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford Bronco Are parts shortages delaying all broncos? ww3

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We just abandoned our plans of building a new house because of these shortages. I’m sure it’s not fully due to material costs, but the estimate per square foot went up 30% over the past 12 months by the builder I had chosen. I know OSB sheathing cost is up by about 3-4 times what it was a couple years ago.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well hard to say as the new Broncos are not in production yet. Hopefully they have been hoarding materials.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

We just abandoned our plans of building a new house because of these shortages. I’m sure it’s not fully due to material costs, but the estimate per square foot went up 30% over the past 12 months by the builder I had chosen. I know OSB sheathing cost is up by about 3-4 times what it was a couple years ago.
In 2019 we bought 8 units of OSB at $6.40/sheet. It’s now $34/sheet at our local Lowe’s. :eek: Many builders out west have turned to steel studs

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs