Sponsored

Are the stock squatch tires really that bad?

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been looking at replacing my stock Sasquatch Goodyears for a little while now and wow are there a lot of options. But the thing that really gets me is the pricing. I can’t seem to justify paying double the cost of new oem’s for other brands. Can bfg’s or toyos or Bridgestones or whatever really be worth that much more money? The only complaint I’ve really heard is that the oem tires pick up and throw rocks like crazy, which they do. But other than that I think they’ve been great for 40k miles. To buy a new set of 35” Goodyears is $1024 otd. Most other major brands are double that cost. Now I’m not doing any major off roading or rock crawling but if I wanted to, I think these tires would be more than capable. So why is everyone so willing to pay more for these other brands? Why is it worth it to you?
Iv'e had BFG KO's on both my Jeeps and my 85 4 Runner with no complaints...they are much quieter than the Sasquatch Goodyears...but I do like the Goodyear even though they are a little noisy.
Sponsored

BleednBlue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco; 2018 4Runner; 2008 GX470
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've only got 500 miles on mine. However, I did take her off-road this weekend spending about 3 hours playing in river-bed. I think they performed well on loose river bed gravel. Going into it I mentally prepared for these tires to be rock magnets. To my surprise, they extracted the rocks fairly well (7 out of 10). As far as highway driving, I think they are fairly quiet. Confident this will change as they wear - so the question is how long before they get noisy!?!

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I love them on the road...mine are actually quiet! However, I ride alot of north Georgia F.S roads with lots of gravel and these tires are very soft causing rocks to get lodged in treads and puncture tires...have had 2 puntures so far..No way in hell I would run a spare tire delete with these but planning on keeping them on stock sas rims and buying different wheels and tires and swap in and out

BigBlue7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The big thing for me is weight - if I move to a different tire I feel like I'd almost have to move to a lighter wheel to offset the increased weight

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Weight.... hahahaha... everybody is concerned with weight as if this thing were a race car... If you are part of the 0 to 60 in 4 sec. club (more power to them) then yes weight is an issue. For me.... I am more about off roading. I have about 200 lbs of unsprung weight per corner. I really like the feel. It feels like I am really planted. I am not racing off road and not jumping. My unsprung weight would be detrimental there. But I have portals that weigh about 60 lbs per corner plus 40s that weigh in at maybe 120 lbs each and then the stock rims.... I like the planted feel.

I am not a you tuber... but I went with the nitos because they fit my needs. the goodyears would not have made it up the trail like the Nitos did.
Ford Bronco Are the stock squatch tires really that bad? Mud 2

and no I was not spinning tires. my speedo never went above 11 mph.

Syringe

Badlands
First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 ZX-10R, '21 Z H2 SE, '13 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Dad's Wildtrak has the Goodyears, and I wouldn't say he/we have had a lot of luck with them. Throwing rocks like crazy [he lives on a gravel road, so an issue], and they seem to be prone to flats - have had three in about 9,000 miles. Two of those were rock shards working their way down into the sipes. It's quite snowy where we live, and I wouldn't say they are good in snow. Average, maybe.

The K02s on my Badlands are a lot better in snow, but the Goodyears would do better rock climbing, I'd think. The K02s are also quieter on the road, in my opinion.

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Perception is reality.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Dad's Wildtrak has the Goodyears, and I wouldn't say he/we have had a lot of luck with them. Throwing rocks like crazy [he lives on a gravel road, so an issue], and they seem to be prone to flats - have had three in about 9,000 miles. Two of those were rock shards working their way down into the sipes. It's quite snowy where we live, and I wouldn't say they are good in snow. Average, maybe.

The K02s on my Badlands are a lot better in snow, but the Goodyears would do better rock climbing, I'd think. The K02s are also quieter on the road, in my opinion.
I think you give up puncture resistance in a lighter tire. Less ply’s = thinner construction= less puncture resistance. Everything is a trade-off.

Syringe

Badlands
First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 ZX-10R, '21 Z H2 SE, '13 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you give up puncture resistance in a lighter tire. Less ply’s = thinner construction= less puncture resistance. Everything is a trade-off.
I think you're right!

Sponsored

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've liked them, but I don't know enough about tires to know what not to like about them.
I've got mud flaps and full PPF, so I've never worried about rocks flinging.

Honestly, I'll probably delete the spare (unless I'm going somewhere bonkers, then just bring it), and just buy 4 more of these when it's time.

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been looking at replacing my stock Sasquatch Goodyears for a little while now and wow are there a lot of options. But the thing that really gets me is the pricing. I can’t seem to justify paying double the cost of new oem’s for other brands. Can bfg’s or toyos or Bridgestones or whatever really be worth that much more money? The only complaint I’ve really heard is that the oem tires pick up and throw rocks like crazy, which they do. But other than that I think they’ve been great for 40k miles. To buy a new set of 35” Goodyears is $1024 otd. Most other major brands are double that cost. Now I’m not doing any major off roading or rock crawling but if I wanted to, I think these tires would be more than capable. So why is everyone so willing to pay more for these other brands? Why is it worth it to you?
I’m pretty happy with the Goodyears on my 23 Sas. They do throw small rocks but other than that seem a pretty great compromise for a Mud rated tire. One thing to watch for at replacement time is Load Rating. The factory Goodyears are “C” load rated. Many replacements in this size are “E” load rated, or a 10-ply tire. That’s great for durability, but they weigh a lot due to the extra construction which negatively impacts ride, handling, steering and fuel economy. It also makes them more expensive. If your off road a lot, the durability may be worth it. For general driving and light off-road, stick with a C or D rated tire to preserve the factory handling and ride.

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am running the Goodyear OEMs and perhaps it was just that one tire that was a lemon but found the tire losing air pretty fast and got it checked. Looks like a rock had got caught between the tire bead and the wheel and pretty much destroyed the bead and so I had to replace that tire. I do air down during offroading but the most I do is 25 psi; nothing too crazy for the tire to open up. the dealers advice was for me to not air down so much...like whaaaat? Other than this incident I am happy with the tires.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I only have 600 miles on mine and have driven on dry pavement, snow and ice and they have been okay. I have not taken them off road yet as I don't want to add more ruts to what others already have.

If I could sell these (I have tried) I would change to MT's Baja Boss AT because of the plys. Not really concerned about fuel mileage or comfort for long hauls as I have an Escalade for that. Oh, and my Escalade gets 24 mpg at 80 MPH on the freeway.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been happy overall with the stock Goodyear tires, but I'll be getting something else when I wear these out (in about ten years at the rate I'm going).

I just did some tire pricing at Tire Rack and got two different prices for the Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT, $281.25 and $400.79. I couldn't figure out what the difference was between the two tires. Everything else that I looked at was between $350 and $400.

Here is the list of what I looked at, all in size LT315/70R17:
  • $403.99 BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3
  • $350.99 Firestone Destination X/T
  • $281.25 Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT
  • $400.79 Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT
  • $396.39 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T
  • $351.99 Firestone Destination M/T2
I'm thinking the Firestone M/T2 best meets my needs, followed by the BFGoodrich KM3. By the time I actually need tires I could change my mind.
Try $216....

https://www.giga-tires.com/tires/315-70-17?filtering=goodyear+wrangler+territory,relevance
Sponsored