Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So probably dumb questio

If I get some of this paint, and ask a detailing shop to go over my already-area51 Bronco, one or two more times. Essentially adding another coat of paint... will my Bronco begin to become a darker area51 paint?

Or does that not matter how many coats i throw on it?

(I guess this is why people don't ask my help in painting their walls)
I’m not a paint expert but I don’t think it works that way. My toy Bronco has 3 layers of A51 and clear coat. My darker wet paint dried the lighter color.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

These all look the same to me based on lighting, size, contrasting colors, etc. It in no way looks like “baby blue” (think UNC colors) to me but has always been a greenish slate blue.
Your correct, it’s not UNC baby blue. It’s closer to that than the Toyota Calvary Blue though. Someone mentioned Robins Egg blue which I looked up and would be a better description. In bright sun it’s very light blue.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So probably dumb questio

If I get some of this paint, and ask a detailing shop to go over my already-area51 Bronco, one or two more times. Essentially adding another coat of paint... will my Bronco begin to become a darker area51 paint?

Or does that not matter how many coats i throw on it?

(I guess this is why people don't ask my help in painting their walls)
Wouldn't your paint shop have to remove the clear before spraying paint . . . and then reapply new clear?

OP
OP

smittymike19

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe wait until production hits? Sunlight plays a factor, however, the color swatches I’ve received from local Ford dealers look nothing like the images we’ve been seeing. Cactus Gray looks like a pale flat gray (no greenish hue), Cyber Orange was dark orange (not yellow), A51 is like dark gray/green-ish and less blue-ish, etc. I was in the parking lot holding the Velocity Blue swatch next to a Velocity Blue Mustang and Ecosport. The car/vehicle colors looked the same but neither looked like the paint swatch. It’s frustrating for all of us Bronco enthusiasts eagerly confused and waiting to order and receive our Broncos. I know a large dilemma with many are selecting the colors. I feel confident that the colors we’ve been seeing in person and on 6G will be the accurate Productions. I’m anticipating A51 to be exactly like the images we’ve been seeing and not this paint swatch.

EDIT: example: neither of these Cyber Orange swatches look like the images we’ve been seeing.
Ford Bronco Area 51 paint issue!! giphy (15)

This was the A51 swatch Ford showed me.

Velocity Blue:

interesting. But what about the sports that are on the lots that are Brittany blue-like? Do you think its not a production color? aren't the sports on the lots to be sold?

Sponsored

Milamdj

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Long story, bear with me. I’m rebuilding my 72 bronco. I’ve decided to paint it Area 51 based on all of the amazing photos floating around here. I call a Ford dealer and they give me the code “ku”. I call my local paint supply store and they say they have ku and it says it’s Area 51 by Ford 2021. Things are going well. I go pick up a sample (thank god) and the sample is super dark. Weird. It matches the color on her screen. So I head to the Ford dealer and ask for a pamphlet for the paint colors. He hands me a pamphlet that shows Area 51. Problem is, it’s dark. Like charcoal gray dark. He then pulls out a book that has 8x11 sheets of the color. Again it’s charcoal gray. He shows me the online selection and again it’s very dark.
I’m not saying it’s slightly darker I’m saying the colors don’t look like they are related. Anyone know what’s up?

Looks close to me. This color changes drastically (along with Cactus Grey) in different lighting.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So the real question is, what interior choices best match up with Area 51?

Outer Banks Navy Pier
Out Banks Roast and Onyx
Badlands Onyx
Wildtrak Sandstone
I'm thinking the BD gray/black/blue interior.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm thinking the BD gray/black/blue interior.
That’s probably true but I want lux package so I am going to have to get OBX, Wildtrak or Badlands

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wouldn't your paint shop have to remove the clear before spraying paint . . . and then reapply new clear?
No , they would just wet sand the clearcoat and apply the next layers . It would not make this color any darker . I have decided that if there ends up being too many A51 Broncos around here I will add a pearl coat to mine and re-clear in a couple of years . I custom painted cars/trucks and motorcycles for 20 years so I've only had a couple in the last few years that haven't been custom .

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a new pic from my dealer. This looks baby blue. Nothing like the roadeo pictures. So damn frustrating. I don’t want a baby blue. I was hoping it was closer to a steel grey/blue

Best part of the photo are the faux-steelies. I so wish they were available on the Bronco.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

interesting. But what about the sports that are on the lots that are Brittany blue-like? Do you think its not a production color? aren't the sports on the lots to be sold?
None of the Sports are Brittany Blue-like. If they were, I would buy 7 for each day of the week.
Ford Bronco Area 51 paint issue!! Brittany Blue Bronco

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I keep forgetting about Heritage Blue, which is lighter than Cavalry Blue. A51 would be a bit closer to that.

These blues look good. I've lived with Cavalry for two years now and I've gotten more compliments on the color of the truck than any other vehicle I've owned. I think A51 will hold up well over time.

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The bronco sport in A51 does look darker than some of the pics we've seen in some photos of the pre production bronco and others look similar. I believe it's due to being in sunlight or not You can find posts that show the paint in shadow and in the sun. It looks different
Ford Bronco Area 51 paint issue!! 20201025_151053
Ford Bronco Area 51 paint issue!! 20201025_151053
I think this color will get old fast.

OP
OP

smittymike19

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I keep forgetting about Heritage Blue, which is lighter than Cavalry Blue. A51 would be a bit closer to that.

These blues look good. I've lived with Cavalry for two years now and I've gotten more compliments on the color of the truck than any other vehicle I've owned. I think A51 will hold up well over time.
Any pics?
Sponsored