Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Going to Glendale/phoenix area soon and was wondering if there were any recommendations on mild to moderate trails that are maybe 2-3 hr turnaround? Trying to ease my family into off-roading since they’re scared of the whole idea. Thanks.
Sponsored

Clemmy

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang MachE
Your Bronco Model
Base
Schnebly Hill Road….agree. You can go from Sedona up to I-17 or from I-17 down to Sedona. But you are almost 2 hours from Phoenix to get to it.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't live in Arizona, but I visited not long after I got my Bronco. I met up with another Bronco owner there and we did Bulldog Canyon. I took my wife and daughter who had never been wheeling before, and they loved it. It's about 45 minutes from Mesa where I was staying. Very easy and fun. My profile pic is from that trip.

OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate the help.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes! For sure. Sneblry Hill.. Beautiful country, near Sedona Red Rocks. Not to hard at all.
Schnebly Hill Road….agree. You can go from Sedona up to I-17 or from I-17 down to Sedona. But you are almost 2 hours from Phoenix to get to it.
Looked up Schnebly and it’s closed as of 3 days ago 🙁 bummer

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looked up Schnebly and it’s closed as of 3 days ago 🙁 bummer
Weather or permanently? I googled it and didn't see anything about it being closed???

OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Weather or permanently? I googled it and didn't see anything about it being closed???
I think it was for weather

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's a lot of easy, yet scenic trails on on the NW side of phoenix. A couple of my favorites:
  • Vulture mine trail
  • Castle hot springs loop - take the diversion to Walker Gulch as that's a neat drive/walk with lots of giant quartz boulders in the wash
  • New River trail (river crossings can be a challenge due to constant rearranging of boulders) There may be actual water in the river as well this time of year, so this one is a bit more challenging.

Here's a list of others I found too:

https://azoffroad.net/west/north-phx-trails

As for Schnebly Hill Rd, it's usually only closed due to snow, they close it when they close 89A between Sedona and Flagstaff rather than try to plow it. Schnebly hill Rd runs more or less along the same altitude (and snow levels). As long as it has not snowed on a few days, you should be good to go. Only drawback is that you need to go both up and down I-17 Hell road to get to it. I've often contemplated suicide while driving on I-17 in the Bozone Layer*.

* Bozone Layer - That thick cloud of bozo idiots surrounding you in traffic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Petert69

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands SQ, 2014 4Runner Trail Prem
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Plus one for Bulldog Canyon. Solid moderate trail. If you only do the Northern half it is more mild.

I love Castle Hot Springs loop for easy and scenic. Recently tried Morgan City Wash which was also mild and beautiful and cuts across the bottom portion of Castle Hot Springs

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Trails Off-road app has plenty of really good directions to trails. I use it every time I go out.
https://apps.apple.com/app/id1545278645
I tried Trails Offroad, and it was pretty glitchy. I use an iPhone 12 with all the latest updates, but the app kept freezing up, and in map mode it would get to where if I zoomed in, I couldn’t zoom back out, and if I started scrolling one direction it would only keep going that direction. Not something I felt I could rely on.

I ended up with the onX Offroad app and had good results so far…
Sponsored