First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We are going to Colorado in few weeks and hoping to spend few days on trails and national park with hard top off, weather permitting. We are obviously going to check weather before heading out but if there is a slight chance of rain we are trying to come up with a plan of what to do since it will be long road back to where we leave the hard top. I had hoped to take the front and middle hard tops with us but from what I can tell there is no way to store the middle hard top inside the bronco. First thought was just taking tarp and figure out how to use straps to cover roof until rain stops. Curious what others do to plan for this and if anyone had a "hack" for something like this that has worked for them.
Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a 2dr and carry my front panels if theres a chance. Ive used a tarp before as well. Be sure to strap it down tight tho. Youre probably gonna get wet no matter what. Unless someone is riding in the back seat you can just use the front 2.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are going to Colorado in few weeks and hoping to spend few days on trails and national park with hard top off, weather permitting. We are obviously going to check weather before heading out but if there is a slight chance of rain we are trying to come up with a plan of what to do since it will be long road back to where we leave the hard top. I had hoped to take the front and middle hard tops with us but from what I can tell there is no way to store the middle hard top inside the bronco. First thought was just taking tarp and figure out how to use straps to cover roof until rain stops. Curious what others do to plan for this and if anyone had a "hack" for something like this that has worked for them.
There's one or two very good waterproof covers out there but they ain't cheap...I forget the names, try doing a search.

snownow

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought a cockpit cover from Amazon, and have it stuffed under the back seat. Plan on just tossing it on and waiting out a rain shower if needed during the summer.

Sponsored

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

BK77 Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BRONCO 4dr, 19 BMW X540i, 18 MACAN GTS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As someone else mentioned, take off the back and roll with the front and middle panels and here is the other cover for when it rains
Ford Bronco Backup plans for hard top removal if it rains IMG_2578
, works well, goodluck!
Ford Bronco Backup plans for hard top removal if it rains IMG_2453

RiverDawg69

Badlands
First Name
K.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's one or two very good waterproof covers out there but they ain't cheap...I forget the names, try doing a search.
Seal Covers makes a great full coverage cover. Easy to put on and off.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If i'm caught out in the rain sans roof, I will just remind myself that my skin is essentially waterproof and I have a clothes dryer.

As for the Bronco: Well, the roof comes off, these things will happen. Hope the "waterproofing" of the dials and buttons works!

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I saw a post where someone had water behind their touch screen...
And somebody will get water under the washout floor. And somebody will back their Bronco into the ocean screwing up a boat launch.

And somebody will decide their Bronco is a fish.

Ford Bronco Backup plans for hard top removal if it rains 1689783178671

Since we're being as outlandish as "I saw a thread once", I heard the dealership say once that I had to do a shot of tequila every time somebody says "I saw a thread once".......

Last edited:

THE Buckeye Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2021 BMW M4 Comp
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I totally don't get the appeal of removing the hard top. Some thoughts for you from someone who uses their Bronco as a transportation appliance to access difficult to reach backcountry trailheads in SW CO:
  • At least in SW CO, our roads are some small portion bedrock, and the majority are super dusty. I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy getting dusted out.
  • ORV guys drive around with ski goggles and mask on. No thanks. I'll just roll up the windows, enjoy the AC and the tunes.
  • If you will be coming to SW CO you will be in the height of "Monsoon" season. It usually means 15 - 60 minutes of heavy rain above 10,000' / day.
  • The bugs this year have been thick. We had big snow pack and a wet May / June - highly unusual. If I have a 14 hour day in the backcountry I adore getting inside and cranking the air.
  • The sun is intense at altitude. Coming from flatlands you will probbaly want to minimize exposure.
  • I assume that you will be out for several hours / day hiking. Theft is not a huge issue outside of town. However I want my vehicle secure when I am out.
My observation of people without tops on their vehicles: They can hang their brake foot out the door. It is a fashion thing. Nothing about it is based in function. Other than that they have to stop when another vehicle approaches, and are swatting at flies while driving.

Last edited:

jayson

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BlackDiamond SAS 4DR HT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you can stomach a couple hundred, I've found this broncobikini.com to be a great supplement. Been testing it for a few weeks and so far so good! I also uploaded a quick video review of a "unplanned" rain test today.
Sponsored