Sponsored

Bad experience with plugnplaykits. AITA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peetuhr

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Classic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Recently bought a kicker key 200.4 and a 500.1

I ordered a harness and some supplies from plugnplaykits to wire 'em all together.

In the shipping options, I was presented with the choice of USPS and UPS, with USPS being slightly more expensive. I chose USPS as UPS is famous for egregious customs fees to Canada, and I wanted nothing to do with that.

Fast forward to today and it turns out that they shipped the item by UPS anyway. My package hasn't arrived yet, but I received a customs invoice from UPS for over $100 (almost half the price of my order, and on top of the ~40$ I was charged for shipping.)

I reached out to pnpk to try and work out a solution but ultimately stated that the fee is ridiculous and requested that he ship it via the method I requested. The entire time, I went way out of my way to make clear that I wanted to work out a solution together but that I wasn't comfortable paying an extra $100 and that is why I chose NOT to use UPS in the first place.

He was super rude, said that "no one else pays huge ups fees" (clearly untrue) and that he wouldn't refund me because he would now have to pay the fee to get it back (I don't think that's true either).

So, now I'm stuck declining the shipment, and doing a chargeback... Am I wrong? He seems to think I should have to eat this cost and that I'm an asshole.

Edit: As a general update to this little saga. PnP agreed to pay ~half of the fees.

The harness is everything it was supposed to be. He was an ass about it from start to finish, but I have no problem with the actual product.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your claim sounds valid. Vendors shouldn't cost you more money when they do it wrong. Sounds like you were well versed with shipping methods to Canada, and the vendor disregarded your choices.
That's an unfortunate situation to be in, for both parties. They are a small business so being able to absorb costs might be difficult for them, but they shouldn't disregard or blow you off if your claims are valid.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Googled aita, .... no.

OP
OP
peetuhr

peetuhr

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Classic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your claim sounds valid. Vendors shouldn't cost you more money when they do it wrong. Sounds like you were well versed with shipping methods to Canada, and the vendor disregarded your choices.
That's an unfortunate situation to be in, for both parties. They are a small business so being able to absorb costs might be difficult for them, but they shouldn't disregard or blow you off if your claims are valid.
Thanks! That's how I felt. I was down to meet in the middle or find some kinda compromise and he was really shitty about it and made me out to be taking advantage of him or something.

His exact words were "why should I have to pay 100$ to fix this" but like .. why should I?

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks! That's how I felt. I was down to meet in the middle of find some kinda compromise and he was really shitty about it and make me out to be taking advantage of him or something.
See, that would be cool. I actually thought maybe split the 100, some compromise.

Things happen. Situations change. You can accept them. Or not.
Sometimes, the best thing you can do in a bad situation is walk away.

But if the equipment is worth it to you, just spend the money, it is what it is. That's acceptance as well.

Either way, you need to deal with the situation at hand. But no, you don't sound like an asshole

Sponsored
OP
OP
peetuhr

peetuhr

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Classic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

See, that would be cool. I actually thought maybe split the 100, some compromise.

Things happen. Situations change. You can accept them. Or not.
Sometimes, the best thing you can do in a bad situation is walk away.

But if the equipment is worth it to you, just spend the money, it is what it is. That's acceptance as well.

Either way, you need to deal with the situation at hand. But no, you don't sound like an asshole
His tone and attitude made the decision for me. Decline the shipment + chargeback.

Hoel wiring has a better website and actually lists Canadian prices anyway. 🤷

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
What's that website? Do they do a plug and play with the kicker amps?

I've never had to pay customs with items shipped from Canada. I think they come post when they do. I just ordered some $200US seat covers from FIA in Canada. I think they said they ship ups, ugh, let's see what happens...

OP
OP
peetuhr

peetuhr

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Classic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's that website? Do they do a plug and play with the kicker amps?

I've never had to pay customs with items shipped from Canada. I think they come post when they do. I just ordered some $200US seat covers from FIA in Canada. I think they said they ship ups, ugh, let's see what happens...
Yes Hoel does kicker harnesses for the Bronco. I'm on my phone but if you google hoel wiring I'm sure you'll find em.

Correct, you don't pay customs for shipments within Canada, but no, hoel isn't IN Canada, they just have international currencies set up. USPS is always best. UPS and FedEx both overcharge for import (though, UPS is the worst)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So import taxes are designed to block outsourcing manufacturing. I'm a bit surprised the Canada does that to the US since we're such buddy neighbors.

Luckily buying things FROM Canada and shipped here doesn't have that same tax. I just ordered something from Canada and actually got Free shipping .... But the again we pretty much have open borders.

Sponsored

plugnplaykits

Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is nothing like the conversation went as I have it all in message he is disputing and declining the package due to custom fees that are not in my control I ship to Canada all the time and I’ve never had this issue with any other customer I was not rude and he threaten to come on here and talk bad about me if I did not pay the hundred dollar fee and refund him . He never once offered to compromise with me as UPS has stated that if he declines it I must pay the fees which is $100. This is all because he does not want to pay his duty fees .

OP
OP
peetuhr

peetuhr

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Classic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My other posts in this thread were deleted because they were in response to another vendor talking in here (which isn't allowed).

Short summary is that I'm still perfectly happy to compromise. But pnpk isn't. I never told him to pay any fees. I asked him to reship the item via the method I actually paid for. I also said over and over that I'm reaching out to find a solution and open to ideas.

UPS fees and customs are absolutely not the same thing. (Feel free to Google that)

Customs charge was under 20$. UPS "brokerage" fees were $100. The package was only ~200 and shipping was 40.

Pnpk is welcome to share screenshots if he somehow thinks that vindicates him. I did tell him after offering no resolution that I would post my experience here (which I did) not sure why he's calling it a threat.

Last edited:

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
. He never once offered to compromise with me as UPS has stated that if he declines it I must pay the fees which is $100.
Short summary is that I'm still perfectly happy to compromise. I also said over and over that I'm reaching out to find a solution and open to ideas.

Customs charge was under 20$. UPS "brokerage" fees were $100. The package was only ~200 and shipping was 40.

Well, here is the opportunity for compromise if ever there was one. Sounds like the fairest solution is split the 100 fee so you both eat $50. Pnp did mess up and not ship it how the customer selected. And the customer is willing to compromise....

however you feel, the situation is that this deal can still be salvaged if you agree to work together

Signed, Judge Judy

If that don't work, figure something else out. I believe in both of you. I hope it works out for both of you. The world needs a win right now, give us that

AZSky

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If you have proof that you requested USPS (to avoid BROKERAGE fee of UPS, not CUSTOMS to explain it), just close the chapter, refuse, chargeback.
PnP can be happy that they found a customer willing to compromise but lost they chance.

OP
OP
peetuhr

peetuhr

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Classic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have proof that you requested USPS (to avoid BROKERAGE fee of UPS, not CUSTOMS to explain it), just close the chapter, refuse, chargeback.
100%. I'd get my money back, I just didn't wanna have to deal with the chargeback, and I genuinely wasn't trying to put him out. I appreciate the service he's offering, but I'm particularly frustrated by the absolute denial that UPS is even charging these fees even though I've offered to send him the ups invoice. He's making it sound like I'm trying to evade taxes or something and implying that our chat is some smoking gun.

@plugnplaykits you know where to find me. Otherwise, I'ma just order a kit from Hoel... 🤷

I'll update the thread if we reach a resolution.

Cheers

Ford Bronco Bad experience with plugnplaykits. AITA? Screenshot 2022-09-24 122009
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.