Sponsored

Badlands Manual - Standard, Mid, or High Package?

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
the evasive steering sounded strange with a off road vehicle and manual transmission. Would be open for info on this....
https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/evasive-steering-assist/

They're very clear that it doesn't control steering. It must stiffen the steering response as well as the suspension to both allow your steer while avoiding a roll. Just guessing.

Most nanny systems are turned off in 4lo so they don't interfere with off-roading. The GOAT modes might handle this too.

As for sound system (easy aftermarket upgrade)
Maybe for speakers/sub but certainly not the head unit. It's an infotainment unit that also has a great many vehicle related settings built into it. It's also almost certainly not a single unit you can pull out. The screen is probably plugged into the infotainment "brain". You're not going to find an off the shelf head unit that is going to provide that functionality, let alone fit in the dash.
Sponsored

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just to counterpoint slightly.....

I daily a Golf R and first thing I do is disable the ACC. It has stopped my car when driving out of a parking lot due to detection of the road as a possible collision point (coming out of a dip at low speed.) I was then stopped completely by the car as a truck is heading toward me outside of ACC radar but moving fast, because it wrongly thought that I was about to collide with the road.

This happens coming out of my driveway as well, it is odd when this happens, because you have no control over your car.

Not saying the tech is bad, but it is not perfect from my experiences.
My GTI has the same system, and I've encountered erroneous braking maybe twice in 30k miles. You just press the accelerator and the algorithm knows it messed up, and it never actually applies the brakes with any authority. You have at least a half-second between when the beep/dash warning comes up and when it actually brakes, so if you want to override, just hit the gas instead.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Small-scale studies of single-source technology aside, the matter has achieved it's own momentum within the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and it is now being studied at large, which is a departure from it's stance in 2010 that driver aids reduced the overall number of accidents. Ironically, humans are overcoming the benefits of technology to kill themselves (and others) in wonderful new ways.

A small snippet from this article to whet your whistle onto the topic at large, instead of focusing on a single aspect of "driver disengagement" to encompass the technologies as a whole.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/11/iihs-study-underlines-the-perils-of-driver-disengagement/

"Researchers wanted to know exactly how complacent drivers could get by splitting subjects into two groups of 10. One group was given a Land Rover Range Rover Evoque equipped with adaptive cruise control (ACC), which automatically keeps the vehicle traveling at speeds selected by the driver while maintaining a pre-established following distance with the car ahead. The other group drove a Volvo S90 with both ACC and Pilot Assist — Volvo’s “partially automated” system that combines adaptive cruising with lane-centering technology that attempts to keep the car positioned safely in its lane.

Initially, researchers noticed no difference in the subjects’ driving habits. By the end of the month, however, the situation had changed dramatically. Drivers of the S90 were found to be 12 times more likely to remove both hands from the wheel than they were just 30 days earlier. Those in the Land Rover also saw their attentiveness degrade and checked their phones more often. But the overall increase in dangerous behavior was cited as less than that of those driving the Volvo.

“Drivers were more than twice as likely to show signs of disengagement after a month of using Pilot Assist compared with the beginning of the study,” said IIHS Senior Research Scientist Ian Reagan. “Compared with driving manually, they were more than 12 times as likely to take both hands off the wheel after they’d gotten used to how the lane centering worked.”

From IIHS:
I feel there's no better way to engage the driver than a manual transmission...

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My GTI has the same system, and I've encountered erroneous braking maybe twice in 30k miles. You just press the accelerator and the algorithm knows it messed up, and it never actually applies the brakes with any authority. You have at least a half-second between when the beep/dash warning comes up and when it actually brakes, so if you want to override, just hit the gas instead.
My Mazda6 will only apply braking in specific situations when it detects an imminent collision. However, the only brake pressure it applies is threshold braking, which will set off ABS on the freeway if somebody cuts you off in your lane. The systems vary by make, but the Mazda system is dangerous as all hell.

Always fun when the car brake-checks the semi truck behind you hard enough to set off ABS and trigger the pre-colission seatbelts to hit you like a baseball bat across your chest. Yea, no reason these technologies shouldn't be mandatory and without a way to defeat them......

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Really debating this:

2DR BL 2.3 7MT CO Headliner Tow Package Roof Rails
w/Floor Liners and Cargo Area Protector w/ points

Questions:
Opt Wheels?
Mid? or High?

Mid for sure, but may go high for the sound insulation, 360 cameras, and 12" screen.

Would ike to get Lux but it doesn't seem worth the money for what I want out of it.

Tricky Nick

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 2dr JK, manual, AEV lifted, 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those going with a manual Badlands, what package are getting and why?

I can't decide!!!!
none...mainly, because I cannot afford any extra package on a BL. I was considering a BB with mid and squatch, but wanted the vinyl and washout floor for about same price. Also, I had bad luck in two of our prior vehicles with the added electronics that kept malfunctioning (of course after warranty), similar to what would come with co-pilot 360. I am a little gun shy at getting more electronics that can malfunction, after warranty, when I don't need it. I have a fully standard 09 JK(no power anything), but manual, lifted, 35's, K&N and a decent radio, and have been completely happy with it...not as happy as I will be with the BL (lockers, disco, 4.7) and better engine / trans. Can't use a remote start with the MT and I don't use the heated seats in our Armada anyway. These are all reasons why I justified going with the BL over the BB squatch.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The cameras included in the high package are going to be much more useful than a lot of people realize, if you're going to be wheeling it.
I want them, but not with all the extras.

I figure, take the doors off and I can see pretty darn well where at least one of my tires is going!

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Mid. Want the no keys option for getting in, automatic heat and A/C is a must for doing any kind of travel and not messing with the temperature or fan and a heater for the vinyl seats in Wisconsin winters. Don’t need the rest but comes with it. 500.00 for each in my opinion. Over the live of the vehicle as I will keep it....priceless.

disclaimer: these are my opinions and I’ve been driving for nearly 50 years. Not my first rodeo. If we were not planning on taking trips out west......BaseManSquatch all the way and no added features needed.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really debating this:

2DR BL 2.3 7MT CO Headliner Tow Package Roof Rails
w/Floor Liners and Cargo Area Protector w/ points

Questions:
Opt Wheels?
Mid? or High?

Mid for sure, but may go high for the sound insulation, 360 cameras, and 12" screen.

Would ike to get Lux but it doesn't seem worth the money for what I want out of it.
I like the track you're on I think the orange will look sharp, but it's not me. I did the Optional wheels out of preference, and in the order form it does say they are beadlock wheels, but really the standard wheels look better in photos than in the B&P. I stuck with the KO2 tires though-if it was an even money choice I would have gone MT. I'd have been fine with Mid, but splurged for the High package. My ol' man regrets not getting the 360 camera in his F150 so I did get it- cool toy if nothing else. Make you're rig yours and enjoy it!

Sponsored

Deleted member 13702

Ordered 4 door BL, 2.3l, mic, roof rails, manual, high, tow. Just seemed to be best bang for the buck. I didn’t like the look of the 8” screen, but felt the lux was to much for what they were offering, especially because on the outer banks edition it cost about 1500 less, which just seemed like badlands owners were paying a premium beyond what the other editions were being charged. I know the tow is over priced, but I planned on using it right out of the gate so I didn’t want to wait.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

apparently, the system is good enough that the insurance companies in the UK significantly reduced rates for VW golf so equipped

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/front-assist.322230/

"Best of all, in the UK it has reduced the insurance premiums down 5 levels!!"

the only time i've had it activate is when some idiot decided to pull into my lane with under a foot in front of my front bumper without signaling.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Personally, I'm always amazed by the people that lug around a heavy/uncomfortable concealed handgun everywhere they go "for protection" (from a 1-in-a-million event) but drive around on bald tires in an old truck with no safety features (that is about a thousand times more likely to kill them than some whacko on a shooting spree). If they actually cared about 'protection', they'd divert some of their firearms/ammo budget to good tires and vehicles with better safety features.
This is definitely the dumbest thing I have read on this forum.

Do you have actual stats to back up this statement?

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally, I'm always amazed by the people that lug around a heavy/uncomfortable concealed handgun everywhere they go "for protection" (from a 1-in-a-million event) but drive around on bald tires in an old truck with no safety features (that is about a thousand times more likely to kill them than some whacko on a shooting spree). If they actually cared about 'protection', they'd divert some of their firearms/ammo budget to good tires and vehicles with better safety features.
This is definitely the dumbest thing I have read on this forum.
P365 and 3 month old tires on the "old" F150 with anti lock brakes and air bags....
Sponsored