Sponsored

Badlands to Heritage Grille Swap -- part number, purchasing, painting, installing

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Badlands and was never in love with my grille...and I was jealous of the base model grille simplicity/retro vibe. Unfortunately the base grille didn't have a camera provision, and I was hoping for small Ford letters versus the Bronco letters. I had been searching for an alternative, and just about the time Xipex released their white retro grille (and I was waiting for them to become available) I realized the Heritage grille was added to the Ford parts catalog.

While it was on infinite backorder, I did some research and found that along with the grille a rear support bracket was required...and the Ford letters. Unlike many if not most of the aftermarket grilles, the OEM grilles have rear brackets that not only structurally support the upper portion of the OEM grilles but also direct airflow. They also differ by grille shape. For example, if you have a base model, your bracket should fit the Heritage grille because the holes in the grille are the same. The Badlands is different so I was on the hook for buying the bracket.

I used the Bronco6g discount at Ruxer Ford and bought the grille, letters, and bracket. I later realized I also need 9 5mm PAL nuts to secure the letters to the grille...and bought them from a local dealer (at full price, unfortunately). While my parts were shipping I learned a lot about preparing ABS plastic for painting (I know a lot of members like white on the Heritage grille, but I prefer a dull black).

After an informative conversation with a representative from SEM, I went with SEM Plastic/Leather Cleaner and SEM Sand Free. The grille is molded in black, and appears as if it can simply be bolted on without painting, but it apparently is primed. When I used the SEM cleaner, I was initially concerned because the surface started to get gummy...but then I realized that either primer or a mold release agent (or both) was slowly coming off on the rag. I soon realized that the most effective technique was spraying the rag, not the grille, and rubbing (a lot) until all the coating was off (which took some time).

The easier part is spraying the SEM Sand Free adhesion promoter and then the paint (while the promoter is still wet). For paint, I went with 1-stage 2k SprayMax Hot Rod Black. They have a patent on the can that mixes the paint and the catalyst.

Pics of the grill and bracket reference and PNs:

Ford Bronco Badlands to Heritage Grille Swap -- part number, purchasing, painting, installing Screenshot_20230125_170834_Chrome
Ford Bronco Badlands to Heritage Grille Swap -- part number, purchasing, painting, installing 20230124_212001
Ford Bronco Badlands to Heritage Grille Swap -- part number, purchasing, painting, installing Screenshot_20230125_170754_Chrome
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Looks good, I'd have done the same with the non shiney black (not a fan). I might pick one up once my Heritage gets in and play around with some alternatives I was thinking when my original order was a BD and keep the original white untouched.

What color are you going with the letters?

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good, I'd have done the same with the non shiney black (not a fan). I might pick one up once my Heritage gets in and play around with some alternatives I was thinking when my original order was a BD and keep the original white untouched.

What color are you going with the letters?
They came in red...and I was thinking of either leaving them that way or going with carbon grey (the same as the rest of the truck). I would have gone flat black, but hard to find any 2k paint with a clear in it with flat black...so satin it was. Some sites are charging 1000-1300 for the exact same grille...it is crazy out there.

Lots O Fords

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Bronco, 23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been searching all the posts for heritage grill. This is the closest to my project. A Badlands with lux/camera. To a heritage grill.
Anyone know if the Heritage limited (which is a badlands) uses a deferent part number than a heritage?
I am guessing I will need all the PN#'s that broncorik has already been good enough to list.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been searching all the posts for heritage grill. This is the closest to my project. A Badlands with lux/camera. To a heritage grill.
Anyone know if the Heritage limited (which is a badlands) uses a deferent part number than a heritage?
I am guessing I will need all the PN#'s that broncorik has already been good enough to list.
Follow @broncorik post for the list of part numbers. Rob has/had a Badlands LUX.

Sponsored

Lots O Fords

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Bronco, 23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks. I have all the parts he listed and today I got the grill ordered. As far as the parts guy checked, they are the same grill. I say because we looked it up for a heritage limited and it was the same part number broncorik had.

Now I am wondering where or how I can get the FORD letters in a satin chrome or similar. I don't know if that will be my end result, but red letters on a green bronco would make it Christmas year round. ... LOL

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Follow @broncorik post for the list of part numbers. Rob has/had a Badlands LUX.
I think red is what you get...perhaps some folks we'll start making cheaper versions in other colors, but the OEM Ford ones for the Heritage are red. Note that the Heritage grill arrives in black primer...it looks like it's painted, but it's definitely primer. I used a couple of key products one of which removed all the primer after a lot of rubbing and the other prepped it for the slightly textured hot rod black I used to paint it.

Lots O Fords

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Bronco, 23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think red is what you get...perhaps some folks we'll start making cheaper versions in other colors, but the OEM Ford ones for the Heritage are red. Note that the Heritage grill arrives in black primer...it looks like it's painted, but it's definitely primer. I used a couple of key products one of which removed all the primer after a lot of rubbing and the other prepped it for the slightly textured hot rod black I used to paint it.
I think I read every post you did on your swap and I truly appreciate it. You have made this little project easy and because of the little things like defectors for the air, that you mentioned, I decided to go OEM as opposed to some of the aftermarket ones that have the look.

I guess you will be helping the FJ40 folks now. I read your other post and it looks like a sweet rig. My simple rig at home is my 1947 Willy's. Modified with a V8 and more. Owned it since 75. You can fix it with a screw driver, plyers, hammer and tape.
Years ago at a huge 4 wheeling event with like 400 vehicles, a FJ had to tow me back to camp, he made a point of a Toyota towing a jeep past everyone before taking me to my site.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I read every post you did on your swap and I truly appreciate it. You have made this little project easy and because of the little things like defectors for the air, that you mentioned, I decided to go OEM as opposed to some of the aftermarket ones that have the look.

I guess you will be helping the FJ40 folks now. I read your other post and it looks like a sweet rig. My simple rig at home is my 1947 Willy's. Modified with a V8 and more. Owned it since 75. You can fix it with a screw driver, plyers, hammer and tape.
Years ago at a huge 4 wheeling event with like 400 vehicles, a FJ had to tow me back to camp, he made a point of a Toyota towing a jeep past everyone before taking me to my site.
I love the Willys...is it a Buick motor or AMC or did you go the easy route and get a SBC? What transmission?

I think you will prefer the Heritage grille for both appearance and functionality...some of the aftermarket ones are appealing, but the fit is wonky on some and so is the (lack of) air ducting. I believe you have active shutters on the radiator, and without the grille directing airflow to the places it needs to go temps could be adversely affected.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just think… someday the BL grille will be retro…nice work I may have make this change as well

Sponsored

Lots O Fords

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Bronco, 23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the Willys...is it a Buick motor or AMC or did you go the easy route and get a SBC? What transmission?

I think you will prefer the Heritage grille for both appearance and functionality...some of the aftermarket ones are appealing, but the fit is wonky on some and so is the (lack of) air ducting. I believe you have active shutters on the radiator, and without the grille directing airflow to the places it needs to go temps could be adversely affected.
The Willy's is a 283 chevy. Back in the day when I did the swap a V6 cost more than a V8 at $100. Still carbureted and still has points and condenser. The tranny is a Saginaw 3 speed. Still has the original transfer case but also an overdrive. Lockers, full floating axles.
Ford Bronco Badlands to Heritage Grille Swap -- part number, purchasing, painting, installing NCM_1556.JPG

NCM_1336.JPG

Lots O Fords

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Bronco, 23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just think… someday the BL grille will be retro…nice work I may have make this change as well
I did the badlands white and I just don't think it cuts it. I'll save it because like you said, it be worth something someday.

KIMG0037 crop.JPG

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Willy's is a 283 chevy. Back in the day when I did the swap a V6 cost more than a V8 at $100. Still carbureted and still has points and condenser. The tranny is a Saginaw 3 speed. Still has the original transfer case but also an overdrive. Lockers, full floating axles.
Ford Bronco Badlands to Heritage Grille Swap -- part number, purchasing, painting, installing KIMG0037 crop.JPG

NCM_1336.JPG
Love the old-timey canteen mount! Is that for washer fluid, rad fluid overflow, or for warming water for tea or coffee? 😉

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
NCM_1556.JPG

NCM_1336.JPG
Nicely done and it should survive an EMP attack! Does anyone make a hardtop for it? What OD solution did you go with?

Lots O Fords

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Bronco, 23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love the old-timey canteen mount! Is that for washer fluid, rad fluid overflow, or for warming water for tea or coffee? 😉
the canteen is the overflow tank. I have cooked a lot of meals on the engine. Burritos fit nicely on the intake..lol
Sponsored