First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm in for a set of hinge shaped spacers to fit between the excellent BAMF bracket and the Bronco's hinges.
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been trying to source something that would work but no luck... if someone has a lathe handy and some solid steel dowels that could do it. The tricky part is going from the 8mm diameter hole to an OD that would span the holes in the bracket with enough shoulder to distribute the clamping forces.

OP
OP
BAMF

BAMF

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bayareametalfab.com
Vehicle(s)
Two 2021 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been trying to source something that would work but no luck... if someone has a lathe handy and some solid steel dowels that could do it. The tricky part is going from the 8mm diameter hole to an OD that would span the holes in the bracket with enough shoulder to distribute the clamping forces.
There is nothing like that on the market other than tapered spacer bushings and they are all made too large from what I can see so custom would be the only option. I don't see how adding a spacer between the hinge and the support would do anything other than fill the void in the countersink hole. The support itself sits on the hinges flush when installed the clamping forces are not going really going to be different with spacers just less contact really.
Ford Bronco BAMF Tailgate reinforcement 20220715_094034

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is nothing like that on the market other than tapered spacer bushings and they are all made too large from what I can see so custom would be the only option. I don't see how adding a spacer between the hinge and the support would do anything other than fill the void in the countersink hole. The support itself sits on the hinges flush when installed the clamping forces are not going really going to be different with spacers just less contact really.
Ford Bronco BAMF Tailgate reinforcement 20220715_094034
I am glad you provided that pic...note the red arrow pointing to the gap that is only on one side, and the blue circle around the no-gap side. If the bracket was matching the contours of the hinge exactly, there would be no gap on either side. Ideally the clamping forces would be either equal on both sides, or only centered on the OEM location via a spacer. The other pic is with the delrin spacers that RC provided in their bracket kit I ended up using (to center the clamping force and to keep the bracket slightly above the hinges).
Screenshot_20220715-151718_Chrome.jpg
20220715_151951.jpg

Most people probably won't even notice the uneven clamping, but I would wager that most people who buy your bracket will also end up hanging FAR more weight off the gate than they should...(with the stock spare and your bracket, that is already about 115) even the best designed bracket can't do what it was meant to do as intended unless the only 4 bolts that attach the entire tailgate (bracket included and all accessories) to the hinges are able to do so.
If the clamping system doesn't hold torque like it should (note that the OEM bolts are grade 10.9 countersunk to center the nut plates and the hinges) the gate can easily shift out of alignment (especially with excess weight hanging off it). I wouldn't be all that sad if I bought a product that does not do exactly what I expected, especially one in it's infancy with a new vehicle that may need adjustments down the line, but it would be a bummer if regardless of the functionality of the bracket if I can't keep my tailgate aligned because the product compromised the ability of my tailgate to reamin clamped effectively. I love your bracket, as many other members do, but IMHO: 1.the provided bolts are not ideal (they are A2-070, which have good corrosion resistance but are not even as strong as grade 8.8 bolts) a significant downgrade in strength from the OEM 10.9 torx fasteners that are intended for the tailgate to hold 133 pounds
2. the mount holes are waaaay too big (I imagine to allow for a lot of movement when mounting...versus having close tolerance holes that match the exact spacing of the hinge nutplates)
3. the washers are too thin and they bow when tightening the stainless bolts
4. the bracket doesn't make uniform contact with the mounting points.

Again, just my 2 cents, but I believe others have expressed similar concerns. I think with minor tweaks it could easily be the most desirable bracket out there for many folks.

OP
OP
BAMF

BAMF

Badlands
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bayareametalfab.com
Vehicle(s)
Two 2021 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am glad you provided that pic...note the red arrow pointing to the gap that is only on one side, and the blue circle around the no-gap side. If the bracket was matching the contours of the hinge exactly, there would be no gap on either side. Ideally the clamping forces would be either equal on both sides, or only centered on the OEM location via a spacer. The other pic is with the delrin spacers that RC provided in their bracket kit I ended up using (to center the clamping force and to keep the bracket slightly above the hinges).
Ford Bronco BAMF Tailgate reinforcement 20220715_151951
Ford Bronco BAMF Tailgate reinforcement 20220715_151951

Most people probably won't even notice the uneven clamping, but I would wager that most people who buy your bracket will also end up hanging FAR more weight off the gate than they should...(with the stock spare and your bracket, that is already about 115) even the best designed bracket can't do what it was meant to do as intended unless the only 4 bolts that attach the entire tailgate (bracket included and all accessories) to the hinges are able to do so.
If the clamping system doesn't hold torque like it should (note that the OEM bolts are grade 10.9 countersunk to center the nut plates and the hinges) the gate can easily shift out of alignment (especially with excess weight hanging off it). I wouldn't be all that sad if I bought a product that does not do exactly what I expected, especially one in it's infancy with a new vehicle that may need adjustments down the line, but it would be a bummer if regardless of the functionality of the bracket if I can't keep my tailgate aligned because the product compromised the ability of my tailgate to reamin clamped effectively. I love your bracket, as many other members do, but IMHO: 1.the provided bolts are not ideal (they are A2-070, which have good corrosion resistance but are not even as strong as grade 8.8 bolts) a significant downgrade in strength from the OEM 10.9 torx fasteners that are intended for the tailgate to hold 133 pounds
2. the mount holes are waaaay too big (I imagine to allow for a lot of movement when mounting...versus having close tolerance holes that match the exact spacing of the hinge nutplates)
3. the washers are too thin and they bow when tightening the stainless bolts
4. the bracket doesn't make uniform contact with the mounting points.

Again, just my 2 cents, but I believe others have expressed similar concerns. I think with minor tweaks it could easily be the most desirable bracket out there for many folks.
Ford Bronco BAMF Tailgate reinforcement 20220715_155431

It is 100% fully contacting the gate on both bolts you are way over thinking this imo.
We have over 8000 miles with a 37x12.5 and 10" sub box mounted on our gate with countless off road rough driving and it hasn't moved one bit. If Installed property the gate will not move. We have this on 5 test Broncos that all wheel hard and have not had a single issue with gate shifting/ movement.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am glad that it has not moved and hope that it continues to remain stable for you. If you look at the picture you provided, however, there is clearly a gap on BOTH mounting points (indicated by the red arrows). I'd be happy to use a feeler gauge on my Bronco to share exactly what that gap is, on all 4 mounting points, but yes I probably am overthinking it. The reason I am even sharing my opinion on this forum is because there is a desire by many members for a bracket like yours...but among future buyers I hope to prevent at least some of the disappointment I felt after spending several hundred dollars and waiting 5-6 weeks to get my hands on my bracket and then having to file down multiple welds (compromising your heat treatable coating) to be able to use my OEM carrier and to realize that my wheel needed to be spaced outwards (far more than 1/4 inch that you sell spacers for) and that I had to remove my welded OEM spare lug bolts and to replace them with longer ones (which was no fun whatsoever and required a Dremel/drilling/new lugs/welding) and then buying spacers to even be able to mount your bracket. Additionally, I felt the need to buy new hardware because although stainless looks cool it is not even close to the Bronco OEM hinge bolt strength (the factory uses 10.9 fasteners for a reason). I was also bummed that there are oversized holes for the hinge mounts, and that because the brackets do not contact the hinges uniformly the heads of the hinge mount bolts do not contact the bracket uniformly...which meant buying spherical washers to keep from putting stress on the nut plates. I don't expect my input to change the way your product is made, and I am by no means trying to bash it, but I just wanted to share my experience so others who are shopping for a bracket such as yours are informed. One way to avoid at least the flanges contacting the tire issue if you don't want to go through shaving all yours down is to simply add a line to your website that says "this bracket is intended only to used with a maximum of ________ positive offset" so folks like me who have Sasquatch wheels or any other wheel that is greater than about a 15 positive offset would simply have gone/would go with another solution (or would have known up front that modifications would have to be made). I don't have the facility or materials to fabricate my own bracket, so I (like many others) hope for builders like yourself to offer what we seek...and the intent of my feedback (which you are free to disregard entirely) is to hopefully improve on what is already a great option for many. Ideally, a builder would be receptive to feedback (at least feedback that isn't totally nutty) and at least address the concerns and educate the consumer(s) as to why or why not the feedback is good/bad/nutty.

OP
OP
BAMF

BAMF

Badlands
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bayareametalfab.com
Vehicle(s)
Two 2021 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am glad that it has not moved and hope that it continues to remain stable for you. If you look at the picture you provided, however, there is clearly a gap on BOTH mounting points (indicated by the red arrows). I'd be happy to use a feeler gauge on my Bronco to share exactly what that gap is, on all 4 mounting points, but yes I probably am overthinking it. The reason I am even sharing my opinion on this forum is because there is a desire by many members for a bracket like yours...but among future buyers I hope to prevent at least some of the disappointment I felt after spending several hundred dollars and waiting 5-6 weeks to get my hands on my bracket and then having to file down multiple welds (compromising your heat treatable coating) to be able to use my OEM carrier and to realize that my wheel needed to be spaced outwards (far more than 1/4 inch that you sell spacers for) and that I had to remove my welded OEM spare lug bolts and to replace them with longer ones (which was no fun whatsoever and required a Dremel/drilling/new lugs/welding) and then buying spacers to even be able to mount your bracket. Additionally, I felt the need to buy new hardware because although stainless looks cool it is not even close to the Bronco OEM hinge bolt strength (the factory uses 10.9 fasteners for a reason). I was also bummed that there are oversized holes for the hinge mounts, and that because the brackets do not contact the hinges uniformly the heads of the hinge mount bolts do not contact the bracket uniformly...which meant buying spherical washers to keep from putting stress on the nut plates. I don't expect my input to change the way your product is made, and I am by no means trying to bash it, but I just wanted to share my experience so others who are shopping for a bracket such as yours are informed. One way to avoid at least the flanges contacting the tire issue if you don't want to go through shaving all yours down is to simply add a line to your website that says "this bracket is intended only to used with a maximum of ________ positive offset" so folks like me who have Sasquatch wheels or any other wheel that is greater than about a 15 positive offset would simply have gone/would go with another solution (or would have known up front that modifications would have to be made). I don't have the facility or materials to fabricate my own bracket, so I (like many others) hope for builders like yourself to offer what we seek...and the intent of my feedback (which you are free to disregard entirely) is to hopefully improve on what is already a great option for many. Ideally, a builder would be receptive to feedback (at least feedback that isn't totally nutty) and at least address the concerns and educate the consumer(s) as to why or why not the feedback is good/bad/nutty.

I'll admit we over looked the factory wheel guys with the flange when designing it. witch will be updated on further runs for those that want to run factory wheels and tires. And the spacers were not needed you are splitting hairs with that one if you need a feeler gage to check.
I'm glad we had someone pick it apparat as closely as you have it makes the product better in the long run and some of the things you mentioned I've already updated in the CAD files today while going through your post. So no I didn't think you were bashing it just being very critical.
Hell we have had mutable orders today for the bracket directly linked to this thread so having this conversation on this thread is a net positive so far.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll admit we over looked the factory wheel guys with the flange when designing it. witch will be updated on further runs for those that want to run factory wheels and tires. And the spacers were not needed you are splitting hairs with that one if you need a feeler gage to check.
I'm glad we had someone pick it apparat as closely as you have it makes the product better in the long run and some of the things you mentioned I've already updated in the CAD files today while going through your post. So no I didn't think you were bashing it just being very critical.
Hell we have had mutable orders today for the bracket directly linked to this thread so having this conversation on this thread is a net positive so far.
I am thankful that as a manufacturer you are open to even hair-splitting feedback! I finally figured out a cheap, easy spacer that will satisfy my OCD...and as for the interference with the OEM tire carrier hitting the welds with a grinder would probably do it...here are the areas where I had to smooth mine down:

16579489916692982561431114446063.jpg
16579490181464576487875052895328.jpg
16579490398728725515330439539329.jpg
16579490576794142559701546740311.jpg

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am thankful that as a manufacturer you are open to even hair-splitting feedback! I finally figured out a cheap, easy spacer that will satisfy my OCD...and as for the interference with the OEM tire carrier hitting the welds with a grinder would probably do it...here are the areas where I had to smooth mine down:

16579489916692982561431114446063.jpg
16579490181464576487875052895328.jpg
16579490398728725515330439539329.jpg
16579490576794142559701546740311.jpg
And to fit my tire I cut back this much:

16579491541867598823974272621515.jpg

16579491738171337994248602237597.jpg

Dirtyjed

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Dmax, 86 FunRunnah, Tiyoda truggy, Honda shi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What hi lift mount works with this?
I've looked at a few and haven't seen one that looks like it would work.

Sponsored

Tcarp1

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey @BAMF how much extra are instructions? I am currently trying to install this thing on my bronco and this is a joke. I am beyond pissed right now. Unfortunately for you I am local enough to come see you about this. Very very very unhappy customer. Anyone looking at buying this thing run away!

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey @BAMF how much extra are instructions? I am currently trying to install this thing on my bronco and this is a joke. I am beyond pissed right now. Unfortunately for you I am local enough to come see you about this. Very very very unhappy customer. Anyone looking at buying this thing run away!
I just picked mine up Wednesday and it took me 2 hours to put it on with the winch and the Dynamics lights. I didnt have any instructions either, its only 6 bolts. Best bumper I ever had. Where are you stuck?

(used my top hoist to lift in on, lol)

Ford Bronco BAMF Tailgate reinforcement 7F97A0B5-65E6-4D0F-BF43-8924AA04B66E

Ford Bronco BAMF Tailgate reinforcement CEC30410-A878-4F52-B7B0-8B923177B4E8

Tcarp1

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just picked mine up Wednesday and it took me 2 hours to put it on with the winch and the Dynamics lights. Best bumper I ever had. Where are you stuck?

(used my top hoist to lift in on, lol)

Ford Bronco BAMF Tailgate reinforcement CEC30410-A878-4F52-B7B0-8B923177B4E8
Its the tailgate reinforcement. I gave up on it. I had to cut a hole in the back of the tailgate to get the hinges to bolt back on after struggling to try and bolt this hunk of shit on there.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Its the tailgate reinforcement. I gave up on it. I had to cut a hole in the back of the tailgate to get the hinges to bolt back on after struggling to try and bolt this hunk of shit on there.
Gotcha, I havent tried it out yet so cant help. Instructions would be helpful.

OP
OP
BAMF

BAMF

Badlands
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bayareametalfab.com
Vehicle(s)
Two 2021 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's the issue. I don't see any emails of you trying to contact us with questions. as always email is our best for of contact.

tagging us here will get a later reply.
Sponsored