First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok Guys looking for honest opinions of guys that have run this setup. I have a base with a 190 front and I've been sweating the front axle's and tie rods so much I'm not enjoying wheeling it. I don't do anything crazy so just looking for real world experience on who is running a 190 with a slight lift and 35's and have had issues or NOT I hope.

I recently did the rough country steering bushings and RC tie rod braces but don't want to step up to a 220 unless I really need to, Thoughts??
Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Relax. Watch some of my videos (Youtube link in my sig). I've beat on mine pretty well with 35's and a 2-3" lift and haven't broken anything yet. I did install some ICON tie rods a while back but I haven't done anything to beef up the steering rack yet. 36,000 miles so far, many off-road trips everywhere from Colorado to Sand Hollow Utah to Johnson Valley, Big Bear, Calico here in California.

i think the thing to keep in mind is that the tie rod and steering rack's biggest enemy is the front locker. I don't have one (yet) and neither do you. Other than that, just drive smart, carry a spare tie rod and tools, and stop worrying about it.

Ford Bronco Base with 2 inch lift and 35's chanelx

Keerplunk

Big Bend
First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JKU, 2022 Cyber Orange 4Dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Like Dusty said above, Relax. I have a Big Bend with a 2" spacer lift (Not proud of that) and 35's on wheels with a -12 offset.

If you don't have your wheel against an obstacle and force steer into it you will most likely not break a Tie Rod.

Also there is a guy on these forums that was offering a "Kit" for the tie rod and piece of mind. Comes with parts and tools to replace one on the trail.

I do not beat mine but I have been a few rough places and no worries yet!

Here is a link to the kit in question

https://td-distributing.myshopify.com/products/bronco-6g-tie-rod-repair-kit?variant=43681218298110

OP
OP
CMillBronco

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks guys I will try to relax and I already have a tie rod kit I made since the guy I bought my SAS shocks from threw in 2 tie rods.

Relax. Watch some of my videos (Youtube link in my sig). I've beat on mine pretty well with 35's and a 2-3" lift and haven't broken anything yet. I did install some ICON tie rods a while back but I haven't done anything to beef up the steering rack yet. 36,000 miles so far, many off-road trips everywhere from Colorado to Sand Hollow Utah to Johnson Valley, Big Bear, Calico here in California.

i think the thing to keep in mind is that the tie rod and steering rack's biggest enemy is the front locker. I don't have one (yet) and neither do you. Other than that, just drive smart, carry a spare tie rod and tools, and stop worrying about it.

Ford Bronco Base with 2 inch lift and 35's chanelx
Dusty I watched a few of your videos and this makes me feel much better as you wheel much harder than we do. I was concerned with running into some larger rocks that I had to push it on and snapping something.

Thanks again!

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

M190 is a champ! I have killed one passenger cv axle due to over extending it. Went from 35s to 37s and still kicking! I wouldn't worry about the front if you keep your foot out of it and don't hop.

On side note my m190 is finally having some issues with drives side cv being loose and clunky in the differential. I am going to keep wheeling it, a m210 is in stock at summit racing if needed.

I am usually the only M190 bronco...
Ford Bronco Base with 2 inch lift and 35's 1695828333161

Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

M190 is a champ! I have killed one passenger cv axle due to over extending it. Went from 35s to 37s and still kicking! I wouldn't worry about the front if you keep your foot out of it and don't hop.
Yeah the strength of the M190 itself has never concerned me much. The differential is rated to handle slightly more torque than the Dana 44 I had in my JK Rubicon that I ran 37's on for years. Yeah it's in a cast aluminum housing but it's no supporting the weight of the vehicle like a straight axle is,. It's bolted into a fixed position and it's only job is re-directing torque 90 degrees. I think people tend to underrate the M190 and I think mine has held up admirably so far. But it's days are numbered due to that M210 with ELD currently sitting on my workbench :) If anybody who currently has open diffs and 3.73's wants an easy upgrade to 4.46, let me know LOL.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did a lot of wheeling with CJs having mediocre components. For example the AMC 20 two piece rear axles - Jeep what were you thinking!

Anyway I would have missed out on a lot of fun, if I'd gotten bogged down with "what if" scenarios and such. Many Broncos are way over-equipped for their actual use, I'd avoid getting too caught up in that arms race.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wheel rotational inertia is the enemy. Keep your wheel speed down and you should be fine, but if you push it too hard you will break. I Broke a m210 CV on my Bronco running 37s because I pushed the stock CVs too hard. It wasn't an axle angle too steep issue, the CV joint didn't fail, I snapped the outer stub shaft because I had too much rotational inertia. I was trying to get up a steep ledge and I bumped it super hard.

I've seen so many failures on Jeeps running Dana 30s with 35" tires, I would never, never trust the m190 doing anything beyond easy trails. Yes the axle is different but it's the same ring and pinion (7.5" = 190mm). A member of my offroad club with a JL running an open diff broke her spider gears, had them replaced with brand new parts, then broke them again the next time out. She upgraded to an Ultimate 44 at that point.

OP
OP
CMillBronco

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did a lot of wheeling with CJs having mediocre components. For example the AMC 20 two piece rear axles - Jeep what were you thinking!

Anyway I would have missed out on a lot of fun, if I'd gotten bogged down with "what if" scenarios and such. Many Broncos are way over-equipped for their actual use, I'd avoid getting too caught up in that arms race.
My old CJ5 and CJ7 are the reason for a lot of my concern, I too broke MANY rear axles in those and limped out of the trail. I don't wheel anywhere near what I used to do as I just don't like tearing up my rigs these days(getting old) but do remember the breaks.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Tons of Rangers on 35s with zero issues.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CMillBronco

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)