Sponsored

Battery Drain while parked overnight - Passenger Side Door Control Module (Apparently)

plogan1379

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ioniq 5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I will post my problem (and hopeful resolution)...Started about 4 weeks ago...Bronco started not being able to hold a charge at night. Charged battery/jump started and it would be fine until I parked it overnight. Took it to the dealer on a Friday (8/18/2023) and they diagnosed it as a bad battery. They replaced the battery and sent me on my way. Drove it the hour home, parked it in the garage overnight, and you guessed it...dead the next morning.

Take it back to the dealership the next Monday (8/21/2023). They were just as perplexed as I was. several days later i keep getting messages from my Ford Pass app vehicle going into Deep Sleep or whatever it is called and the dealer calls and says that it is losing charge overnight in their shop as well.

At least I know I am not crazy...

Fast forward to yesterday 8/31 and I get a call that they found the issue. The passenger side door control module was never powering down and constantly drawing power.

I suspected that this started happening after a software update (yes, I have turned off auto-update since then)...the service department at my dealer is fantastic. He said they had to individually test connections once the vehicle went to "sleep" until they found the culprit.

Bad news....of course the part is on back order..no idea when it will be available.....going on 2 weeks of just being at the dealership.

Sounds like a random problem from an obscure module. I have my doubts but will have to wait until I get it back to see if it really was the culprit. If it has to go back after this it will have been my third trip for the same issue.

Note: During the two or three weeks leading up to me actually taking it to the dealer I disconnected everything I had installed (SS3 Ditch lights, Mabett Raptor style fogs, and the Interior dome lights that Mabett has) thinking that something I installed was the issue. Man am I glad I clearly disconnected everything to not give them a reason to say it was something I did. Could one of those caused the module to "misbehave"??? I personally thought that the interior light kit that replaces the rear dome light could have caused it, but I do not think it has anything to do with that module.

Hopefully this helps someone at some point.
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I will post my problem (and hopeful resolution)...Started about 4 weeks ago...Bronco started not being able to hold a charge at night. Charged battery/jump started and it would be fine until I parked it overnight. Took it to the dealer on a Friday (8/18/2023) and they diagnosed it as a bad battery. They replaced the battery and sent me on my way. Drove it the hour home, parked it in the garage overnight, and you guessed it...dead the next morning.

Take it back to the dealership the next Monday (8/21/2023). They were just as perplexed as I was. several days later i keep getting messages from my Ford Pass app vehicle going into Deep Sleep or whatever it is called and the dealer calls and says that it is losing charge overnight in their shop as well.

Fast forward to yesterday 8/31 and I get a call that they found the issue. The passenger side door control module was never powering down and constantly drawing power.

I suspected that this started happening after a software update (yes, I have turned off auto-update since then)...the service department at my dealer is fantastic. He said they had to individually test connections once the vehicle went to "sleep" until they found the culprit.

Bad news....of course the part is on back order..no idea when it will be available.....going on 2 weeks of just being at the dealership.

Sounds like a random problem from an obscure module. I have my doubts but will have to wait until I get it back to see if it really was the culprit. If it has to go back after this it will have been my third trip for the same issue.

Note: During the two or three weeks leading up to me actually taking it to the dealer I disconnected everything I had installed (SS3 Ditch lights, Mabett Raptor style fogs, and the Interior dome lights that Mabett has) thinking that something I installed was the issue. Man am I glad I clearly disconnected everything to not give them a reason to say it was something I did. Could one of those caused the module to "misbehave"??? I personally thought that the interior light kit that replaces the rear dome light could have caused it, but I do not think it has anything to do with that module.

Wierd. Sounds like you have a good dealer, though. Thats a plus. It would take alot to drain or damage that AGM battery, though, so I hope you get it figured out.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I suspected that this started happening after a software update
Hopefully this isn’t the case, because I just updated my PDM and DDM yesterday 😂

Either way, glad to hear the hopefully got it figured out for you.

Laurel

Outer Banks
First Name
Laurel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Was the problem solved ? I'm having the same issues...it is at the dealership ..after two nights of vehicle going to sleep mode ..dead battery in the AM.

OP
OP
plogan1379

plogan1379

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ioniq 5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was the problem solved ? I'm having the same issues...it is at the dealership ..after two nights of vehicle going to sleep mode ..dead battery in the AM.
It was the Passenger side door control module. It was staying fully power up for some reason. After replacing (took a week and half to come in) the problem was resolved with zero issues since.
I hope this helps.

Sponsored

Laurel

Outer Banks
First Name
Laurel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you..good to know,waiting for update at the dealership.

Laurel

Outer Banks
First Name
Laurel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Same issue! Just was told Control module for passenger door

OP
OP
plogan1379

plogan1379

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ioniq 5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same issue! Just was told Control module for passenger door
One Bronco and I can see it as a fluke….two and I start to think it is more widespread.
Glad they found the problem.

Base

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I seem to be having the same issues. Bronco is only 5 months old and 6k miles on the clock. Just started happening in the last week. Slow crank in the morning and sometimes completely dead. I did a full day charge to the battery but unfortunately two days later. Dead!

Laurel

Outer Banks
First Name
Laurel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I seem to be having the same issues. Bronco is only 5 months old and 6k miles on the clock. Just started happening in the last week. Slow crank in the morning and sometimes completely dead. I did a full day charge to the battery but unfortunately two days later. Dead!

Laurel

Outer Banks
First Name
Laurel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have been told to start the buy back process through Ford...
Sponsored