Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So every year I drive to Montana. I split my time between Georgia and Montana.

I am now thinking of NOT driving my Bronco to Montana due to how loud it is on the highway, the lack of space and the punny gas tank.

My drive will be 95% long stretches of pavement, then rough gravel roads. No off-road prowess needed. A Subaru can handle it all.

I love my Bronco, but I'm not sold on it being a good overlander/ softlander. The fuel range and loud cabin are its Achilles heel.

Ford Bronco Best Long Distance Roadtrip Vehicle? 1000003395

Ford Bronco Best Long Distance Roadtrip Vehicle? 1000003396

I deleted the rear seats, but am at max capacity. I can move a few things to my roof rack, but not a ton. Pretty cramped, and that was just a weekend camping trip, no where near as much junk as I'd take for a longer trip.

I also no longer have rear seats.

Number one on my list:

Ford Bronco Best Long Distance Roadtrip Vehicle? 1713925290827-lf

2500 Ram Cummins. I'm pretty sure it can get 20 on the highway. The space is excellent and the dimensions are barely larger than a 1500. The F-250 is too damn big. It isn't in contention.

Ford Bronco Best Long Distance Roadtrip Vehicle? 1713925408831-6

Silverado 1500 3.0l Duramax

Insane fuel economy for a modern diesel in a half ton. 28-30 realistic highway.

Very comfortable.

What would you all go with?

Ford Bronco Best Long Distance Roadtrip Vehicle? 1000003395
Sponsored

Last edited:

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Best road trip vehicle???

1995 Toyota Avalon.

Super comfy. Soft leather, extra-large seats. Lots of legroom (even in the back). Trunk the size of Texas. Not horrendous gas mileage. And can do 100mph uphill. 🤣🤣😘😘

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I typically take my '13 F350 Crew Cab from WA to my property near Flathead Lake, MT. It's just about 500 miles door-to door. I have a 65 gallon fuel tank which allows me to do it without fueling up along the way, whether I'm pulling a trailer or not.

I've done the trip in the Bronco a few times as well.

The F350 is far more comfortable, smoother, quieter, better viewing lines and just kind of a set it and forget it trip.

The Bronco is more interesting though, especially If I want to stop along the way and do some fishing, sightseeing, exploring, etc.

Which vehicle I use just depends on what the purpose of the trip is.

OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I typically take my '13 F350 Crew Cab from WA to my property near Flathead Lake, MT. It's just about 500 miles door-to door. I have a 65 gallon fuel tank which allows me to do it without fueling up along the way, whether I'm pulling a trailer or not.

I've done the trip in the Bronco a few times as well.

The F350 is far more comfortable, smoother, quieter, better viewing lines and just kind of a set it and forget it trip.

The Bronco is more interesting though, especially If I want to stop along the way and do some fishing, sightseeing, exploring, etc.

Which vehicle I use just depends on what the purpose of the trip is.
I think this is how I'm leaning.

When I need to just churn road miles the 3/4 ton is the way to go.

When I want to camp, adventure, bike, kayak, etc it's Bronco all day.

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're looking for comfort, a half-ton would be even better. I have a 1-ton and 1.5-ton truck for hauling all my shit! A 2500 with a diesel gives you garbage for payload.

I'll probably replace the F350 with a Chevy/GMC 3500 when the time comes just for the IFS. Those things are rolling sofas.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you're looking for comfort, a half-ton would be even better. I have a 1-ton and 1.5-ton truck for hauling all my shit! A 2500 with a diesel gives you garbage for payload.

I'll probably replace the F350 with a Chevy/GMC 3500 when the time comes just for the IFS. Those things are rolling sofas.
Ram 2500 isn't as heavy duty as the 3500, but that also comes with advantages. Coil spring rear suspension namely.

I like the Ram because it's just a beefed up 1500. People who need a real HD truck should go to the 3500 or 4500.

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ram 2500 isn't as heavy duty as the 3500, but that also comes with advantages. Coil spring rear suspension namely.

I like the Ram because it's just a beefed up 1500. People who need a real HD truck should go to the 3500 or 4500.
They're putting rear coils on the Ram 2500? Didn't know that!

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing to look out for on the Ram diesels are the lift pump. They have (or had. I haven't followed it in a while) had problems with the CP4 pumps. Do some research on whatever year you're planning on getting and see if it's affected. There's preventative fixes available for whatever era you get.

Other than that and front suspension issues, which I think was changed recently, they seem to be solid trucks.

Carli makes suspension goodies for the Ram as well. I have their Backcountry kit. Second best money ever spent on the F350!

OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One thing to look out for on the Ram diesels are the lift pump. They have (or had. I haven't followed it in a while) had problems with the CP4 pumps. Do some research on whatever year you're planning on getting and see if it's affected. There's preventative fixes available for whatever era you get.

Other than that and front suspension issues, which I think was changed recently, they seem to be solid trucks.

Carli makes suspension goodies for the Ram as well. I have their Backcountry kit. Second best money ever spent on the F350!
Good advice. Luckily the CP4 was only 2019-2020 MYs.

I have heard about front end issues on these trucks, I haven't dug in further. I am very experienced with aftermarket suspension and modifying vehicles. I went to college for race engineering. :) so I'll be able to inspect and fix whatever.

Carli is excellent. If I go with the Ram I'll probably do the Bilstein 5160s, or the Carli setup.

RRaptor

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
F150 Raptor. If you don’t get the R mileage is pretty good, of course I overlooked that for this truck. Completely different suspension than a regular F150.

IMG_2764.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

F150 Raptor. If you don’t get the R mileage is pretty good, of course I overlooked that for this truck. Completely different suspension than a regular F150.

Ford Bronco Best Long Distance Roadtrip Vehicle? IMG_2764
Gas mileage is too low for my tastes.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yet another reason I want a Diesel Bronco...

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Cadillac ESCALADE…

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Minivan. Basically any minivan. Super comfortable, car-like gas mileage, TONS of space for your stuff (and it's secure inside the cabin, not exposed in the bed), most modern ones will easily do 100+ all day, and cops don't look twice at them. Once did 120 in a Pacifica all the way from Pocatello to SLC trying to catch a flight for work. What minivans lack in style they make up for in every other practical sense.
Sponsored